Mite Question for a newbie

Prometheusmum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:confused: Well, I'm not really a newbie, but I keep Tarantulas not Milli's. I noticed when we brought our new African Black Giant Milli home last night that it has mites, and from what I have read there the good ones that just clean up etc. However this guy is in a aquarium next to my G. Rosea aquarium, I was wondering if these mites would transfer to my tarantula and prove harmful..

Whats the best course of action here? The aquariums are about 3-4" apart, could the mites, and would they move over to my T's tank?:?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
assuming your rosea substrate is dry there should be no transference, what most people have said is the best way to deal with mites is to let the enclosure dry out which i can see being a probllem with millipedes, hopefully some veteran of the trade will help you out here

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, i personally wouldn't try to get rid of those fast helper mites

but from experience you can keep an AGB on completely dry sub for a long long time as long as you feed or water it a couple times a month. granted i live in CA and always have my window open, so RH never drops to crazy desert levels like ppl with central heating in use... but those puppies are tough

edit:
oh yeah, welcome to myriapods

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
These mites are nothing like the evil mites that attack ts and other invertebrates. These mites will never transfer to anything other than a pede. In my pede tank I have 4 hissing cockroaches. I have never seen a single mite on them ever :).