Misting the Desert species

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok so I have been into scorps less than a year and I already have 4 desert species.

2 H. arizonensis

1. A. australis

1. LQ

So here is the thing. I keep all of these at the same temps. 85-90 degree Fahrenheit during the day and 68-72 degree Fahrenheit at night.

All of these scorps has humidity between 18% - 25%

Once every 4-6 weeks I squirt one corner of the enclosure during the day and let it dry out. This is suppose to help with molting.

So here is my question. I hear that the arizonensis need moisture going down into the tunnel systems to help regulate humidity and to assist in digging. Both of mine has dug tunnels all over and seem to be doing well. Adding too much moisture can be bad for any desert species correct? Mycosis is the first thing to come to mind :-/

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Knowing absolute zip about scorps but being a desert rat myself for many years. Low desert, Salton Sea through Death Valley, relative humidity averages <10% year round. High desert, Owens Valley, 5% to 15% going up to 20% in the middle of winter. So your environment is up at the damp end of natural habitat. Whether this presents a hazard or actually improves their health and life span, over to the scorp experts...

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's a health hazard past 50%, for most desert species of scorpions that I know of anyway. Moisture from I've learned is considered more dangerous when it's direct.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Low desert gets humid in summer, though. Very humid. I was with Pulk at the algodones dunes, and we got caught in a thunderstorm, flash flood, really hot and humid, felt like I was in an armpit.

Chainsaw Reptiles

Arachnoknight
Just Over Flow The Waterdish Slightly But Misting Is A Big NoNo Due To They Can Die From it I Lost A Wee Lil Desert Hairy To It And There Expensive over Here... Like £45 For A Juvi. So That Was A Big Mistake ._.

VictorHernandez

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just over flow the water bowl every once in a while. And yea keeping the humidity under 50% is important for desert species.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As long as the substrate is a mixture that will hold it's shape, the arizonensis will have no problem burrowing. There are some pics/videos of people setting things up for their arizonensis (I think greenjewls did one?) and many are starting to make a false bottom on the enclosures to get moisture deep into the substrate to help the arizonensis molt. Other than that, I think lightly misting in a corner every couple months and maybe giving them a pop cap filled with water once a month will probably be enough.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I think I remember abyss having success by misting under stones and keeping everything else bone dry.

Hadrurus actually take huge drinks of water when they're thirsty.