Misting moss instead of substrate

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The title really says it all. I have some moss leftover from bad advice given to me by a pet store concerning my rosie. Turns out I can use it for something after all. So, the question is, would I be able to mist the moss instead of the substrate? Or would it be in conjunction to? It will be used in sling enclosures.

This question came to me via this thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?247913-Spag-moss

BaddestRuffest

Arachnosquire
I always use small threads of spagnum moss in my sling enclosures, it retains moisture well and can be moistened daily to provide a viable drinking source for the little guys.

Tarac

Arachnolord
I do this too- put a little moss colony in each tank that I can wet via misting. Simulates dew on low scrub, seems like the most natural way for a T to find water in some cases. And the fine structure of the moss helps collect lots of very small droplets. I don't see any reason why it's not OK, I've done it for years and it works for me.

I don't mist much of the substrate for arid species (although some always incidentally gets a little mist on it, just not my intent).

macbaffo

Arachnolord
Yes you.can do.That. I had several slings that i bought and they had spagnum moss.

It is not so suggested i guess because in the long run it can be a good home for bacteria and stuff.

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do this too- put a little moss colony in each tank that I can wet via misting. Simulates dew on low scrub, seems like the most natural way for a T to find water in some cases. And the fine structure of the moss helps collect lots of very small droplets. I don't see any reason why it's not OK, I've done it for years and it works for me.

I don't mist much of the substrate for arid species (although some always incidentally gets a little mist on it, just not my intent).
Same here. Retains moisture well, and the droplets are easy for the spiders to access.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Great advice guys :D I'm going to put some in right now.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I always use small threads of spagnum moss in my sling enclosures, it retains moisture well and can be moistened daily to provide a viable drinking source for the little guys.
+1. Great way to keep slings from dehydrating.