Missing a limb!

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I have three Fire bellied newts all purchased from the same place. They are in a nice twenty gallon with two great filters running through it. I also put some stuff that dechlorinates water that they used on the newts at the pet store. The water is rediculiously clean, new, and fresh. But I just discovered to my horror a terrible surprise. One of my newts arms is missing! He has a huge gash in its place. Now I don't use live plants because as far as I'm concerned that is optional. I feed them well, every other day, a whole cubes worth of defrosted blood worms. What am I doing wrong????!!!!!???
And will this missing arm re grow?!? Or am I stuck with a three legged newt?
Will they continue to fight?!?! Is there a way to stop it? Sorry I have so many questions. It is just that these ARE SUPPOSED TO BE EASY!

KiruSama

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you have more then one male? I know nothing about newts but with most animals male's are territorial and will harm another male. That may be your problem.
Someone else that know more about Newts will be able to help you further But I'd be sure to have two females and only one male.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The missing limb SHOULD grow back. I have two colonies of Red Spotted Newts and Striped Newts at work and have never had a problem with male aggression, but am unfamiliar with Fire Bellied Newts. Is there anything else in the tank that could have caused the injury? Could a rock have slipped?

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are you sure that they are fire-bellies? I bought a trio of supposedly fire-bellies at the local pet store. They seemed bigger than the fire-bellies I was used to, so I did a look up on the net. Turned out that they were actually paddletails. A highly aggressive newt. It is fairly common for fights to break out if enough hiding places are not provided.

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well maybe if I discribe them to you. They have bright red under bellies with black spots and they are pure black everywhere else. They are
about an inch and a half long or maybe a little larger. Yeah I hope he survives. Right now he is laying on a rock and has dragged a lot of blood.. He doesn't seem to be bleeding any more. Um I don't think there is anything sharp enough to cut him. I mean unless he some how got his hand caught in the filter. (Submergable filter. Very reptile friendly.) He was hanging out really close to the other newts when this was noticed so that is why I think the other newt bit it off. Do you think they will kill the poor newt? Or maybe this was an accident? I don't have any really sharp objects, all of the gravel is smooth. And the waterfall/filter is made out of fake rock with not any really jagged edges.
P.S. I just looked um up. I they don't look much like paddletails they look more like chinese fire bellied newts, and one of mine looks more like a japanese fire bellied newt. But my second chinese fire bellied newt was the one that was bitten

Last edited:

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok There are only 2 newts left now. The one that had his arm removed is dead. :( I found him at the bottom of the tank today. I'm ready to give up on this species if my last two die, the male that killed him has some missing fingers and a few battle scars but he is otherwise fine.
The female that is very small. Has no injuries and seems to get a long fine with him. Hopefully things will stay that way. I also managed to get the dead one out before it fowled up the water, what a failure.