Minor Update - something new, something old (Modem Killer Post!)

LHP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good to read you too!

I didn't keep any this year (sadly the hard frosts have come through... without spiders to look for, this is my boring season:( ). Actually, I didn't see any this year in their normal spot (a stand of river birch beside a pond at work). In fact, I thought I wasn't going to see any this year until I saw my cat chasing something in the garage:eek: . I locked her out, and went to investigate... sure enough, she had been chasing a D. albineus! Couldn't believe it. On top of that, the albineus had run behind a ladder, and there it almost blundered its' way into the web of a big fat Argiope aurantia. Couldn't believe I found them inside!

The garage is about 50 or so feet from a little side creek of a nearby river. Never seen them in the area before though (I live in coastal Virgnia and work in central VA)! The creek is quite brackish (lots of blue crabs, terrapins, and the occasional dolphin or sea turtle are in the area) and I had always assumed I wouldn't see them hear due to the saltiness.

I will definitely let you know when I start seeing them when it warms up!

Good luck with those sacs!

Lindsey

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi there,

time to rewake this thread as i have nothing too special or fancy.

Just some randoms...

Phoneutria boliviensis, adult wc female, Peru

Phoneutria reidyi, cb juvenile

Ancylometes bogotensis, cb juvenile female

Ancylometes bogotensis, cb juvenile male

Phoneutria spec. Paraguay, cb juvenile from the 3. sac

Phoneutria spec. Paraguay, cb juvenile from the 1. sac

Same here

Same here

Phoneutria nigriventer (Sao Paolo, Brazil morph), adult cb female + sac

Ctenidae ssp. Peru, adult wc female

Ctenidae ssp. Peru 2, adult wc female + sac

Heteropoda spec. Plüsch, Malaysia, cb juvenile

That´s all for now, folks.

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Got introduced here as Palystes (Sparassidae)....

Adults are said to have some 8cm legspan, if i remeber this correct. Quite massive bodies in relation to the legs, though...
Hi again,

this is, of course, complete bull.

As the specimens are now around some 8 - 9cm (3 - 3,5") legspan and are by far not adult yet.

So i don´t know how big these will get but apparently even bigger than that...

Before i close here´s a picture of a fresh moulted female

Ctenidae ssp. Kenya, cb subadult female

Greetings,

Stefan

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice, Stefan! I especially like the Ctenidae ssp Kenya and the Peru. She has smashing colours on her doesn't she?

Always nice to see updates on your posts :drool:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
great shots Stefan!thanks for sharing.that
Ctenidae ssp. Kenya is very impressive.any more pictures of
the C.getazi?

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
great shots Stefan!thanks for sharing.that
Ctenidae ssp. Kenya is very impressive.any more pictures of
the C.getazi?
Hi there,

thanks, all!

The Kenyan ctenids are by now some of my favourites. Luckily i have of specimens of both sexes here...

Next to that even another species from Kenya, the slings still need some growing, though...

Nope, no actual pics of the C. getazi. Had just been too lazy to snap some to be honest.
I´m not really that much interested in Cupiennius i have to admit, as i find their behaviour rather boring compared to other species from other genera i have.
Had some bad luck with these, too, as my last male died due to old age before i could mate him. Not everything lost, though, as a friend of mine still has some males at his hands.

Well, maybe it´s by time i snap some new pics of my last female. No promise, but at least a possibility.... :D

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

just a small update:

Fresh moulted Heteropoda spec. Plüsch, Malaysia
(juvenile, captive bred)

Enjoy....

Greetings,

Stefan

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh dear, these are so cuuute! Gotta love them.

PM me if You could ship to Poland (late summer and autumn) and where I could find Your offer list... :)

Keep up the great work, Matthew.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh dear, these are so cuuute! Gotta love them.

PM me if You could ship to Poland (late summer and autumn) and where I could find Your offer list... :)

Keep up the great work, Matthew.
Hi there,

sorry:

Nor am i a dealer, neither do i know of specimen of this species being actually for sale.

The pictured species is to date undescribed and just two specimen got introduced to Europe over the last two years as far as i´m aware of.

Both adult wc´s are dead by now.

To my best knowledge there are now just 9 specimen existing all in all in Europe. One is pictured here and is the only one i have.
The other 8 are at a buddy of mine who has got the one wc female imported in 2006 and got offspring from her.

The pictured specimen is far from being adult, it´s just measuring some 5cm leg span.

As soon as all specimens are adult breeding will start and then, hopefully, this species should sometime be offered to a bigger audience.

Greetings,

Stefan

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stefan I would like to ask you what species you think Phoneutria spec. Paraguay is? It is a really good looking Phoneutria species I must say! Im gonna get afew for sure! :D

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice pictures!

can you see the Scytodes doing its thing?

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
nice pictures!

can you see the Scytodes doing its thing?
Hi,

nope.

As all humans eyes mine, too, are not capable to catch motions that are as fast as 600m/s, which is the speed of the hunting technique of Scytodes. ;)

Greetings,

Stefan

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the answer, I was just curious. Still it's a pity that such cuties almost aren't available... But my question was about all Your pets, do You sell any? Take care of Your diamonds, Matthew.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

nope.

As all humans eyes mine, too, are not capable to catch motions that are as fast as 600m/s, which is the speed of the hunting technique of Scytodes. ;)

Greetings,

Stefan
I know you can't see the back-and-forth motion, but can you tell that it's spit glue onto the prey?

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Fresh moulted Heteropoda spec. Plüsch, Malaysia
(juvenile, captive bred)
Hi,

i got informed from my buddy who has the resnt of the specimens that the species got finally identified as

Heteropoda lunula

Just to let you know.

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the answer, I was just curious. Still it's a pity that such cuties almost aren't available... But my question was about all Your pets, do You sell any? Take care of Your diamonds, Matthew.
Hi Matthew,

nope, i generally don´t sell.

I´m keeping spiders since 10 years and have in this time exactly sold two specimens. This just because i ran out of space.

I´m actually raising (errr....) "bigger" amounts of different Ancylometes species and am actual thinking about maybe selling some of those when they´ll be subadult.
No definite decision made from my side at this time, though.

I´m generally more interested in trades, though it can be hard to get me in an actual deal as i´m mainly looking for species that are "impossible to get" for the general hobbyist.

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I know you can't see the back-and-forth motion, but can you tell that it's spit glue onto the prey?
Hi Pulk,

yeah, that can be seen, as can the effect on the prey item.

Pretty skilled killers.

Greetings,

Stefan