Millipede living together and other beginning questions

rcfan29

Arachnopeon
Hello, I'm fairly new to millipede's and have some giant desert millipede's now. I was thinking about getting more species of millipede's if these guys do well, but I don't want to mix ones that won't get along.
Can I put these guys together? I would maybe have 2 or 3 of each kind and what size tank would keep them all happy?
-flame leg millipedes
-rainbow millipedes
-bumblebee millipedes
-florida ivory millipedes
I might try to get a giant African or chocolate millipede if I can find some, but I would assume they shouldn't be with the others due to size differences correct?
Thanks for the advice!

SFA

Arachnoknight
Hello, I'm fairly new to millipede's and have some giant desert millipede's now. I was thinking about getting more species of millipede's if these guys do well, but I don't want to mix ones that won't get along.
Can I put these guys together? I would maybe have 2 or 3 of each kind and what size tank would keep them all happy?
-flame leg millipedes
-rainbow millipedes
-bumblebee millipedes
-florida ivory millipedes
I might try to get a giant African or chocolate millipede if I can find some, but I would assume they shouldn't be with the others due to size differences correct?
Thanks for the advice!
Hi! Welcome to millipedes, they’re awesome! I keep my Florida Ivories and Bumblebees together. Really as long as they have the same temp and humidity requirements you are good to keep them together. They are social and seem to like having friends - plus it’s more interesting for you to have a mixed group. I’ve seen some people say that you should keep drastically different sizes separate, and others say they keep all sorts together, so I’ll let others speak to that.
If you are breeding, keeping species separate lets you know which babies are which.

SFA

Arachnoknight
Also if you have desert species now, all the other ones you mentioned are tropical, and are going to like a higher humidity. I just got my first desert millipedes and I made them a separate house with more ventilation. So maybe consider doing 2 setups?

rcfan29

Arachnopeon
Hi! Welcome to millipedes, they’re awesome! I keep my Florida Ivories and Bumblebees together. Really as long as they have the same temp and humidity requirements you are good to keep them together. They are social and seem to like having friends - plus it’s more interesting for you to have a mixed group. I’ve seen some people say that you should keep drastically different sizes separate, and others say they keep all sorts together, so I’ll let others speak to that.
If you are breeding, keeping species separate lets you know which babies are which.
What about the size of the tank on keeping different species together? Thank you!!!

rcfan29

Arachnopeon
Also if you have desert species now, all the other ones you mentioned are tropical, and are going to like a higher humidity. I just got my first desert millipedes and I made them a separate house with more ventilation. So maybe consider doing 2 setups?
I plan on a different set up if I continue to enjoy the deserts. Is there many desert species because I was having trouble finding them?

SFA

Arachnoknight
What about the size of the tank on keeping different species together? Thank you!!!
I have my colonies of smaller ones in 5 gallon tanks and my Philippine Blue Giants in a 10 gallon. As long as your substrate is deep enough they don’t need a ton of space, plus smaller tanks are easier to maintain humidity in. You can do plastic rubbermaid containers too for a cheaper option.

I haven’t seen many different kinds of deserts either though I’m sure it depends on where you are.