Millipede advice please!

zinto

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everyone! I recently recieved a millipede from a friend who apparently isn't that enthusiastic about them. He's been keeping it in a gladware container which is way too small for him.:mad: Anyway, I'm about to transfer him to a new container and I was wondering if anyone had problems with fungus flies or anything. I'm afraid there's going to be a swarm of flies escaping from the aquarium and into my house. Are there any ways to prevent this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Nick

Kasha

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not to sure about fungus flies, but I had some fruit flies for a while. In my experience they stayed in the tank, since thats where the fruit was. Once I changed the substrate and kept an eye on the fruit (threw it out when it starts getting rotten) I have not had any problems. I get the occasional fly, but they die off pretty quick. If there is a mess of them in the tank already I would suggest doing a complete change of the substrate and starting over. That will help you in getting the moisture level just right as well as getting rid of any "friends" your milli may have collected through poor/mismanagement.

zinto

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Kasha! So the flies are usually a result of not properly maintaining the tank? I got this millipede and there were already flies in there, so I figured they were just inevitable and would appear due to the moist substrate. Thanks for the help!