Milking Tarantulas

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just FYI for you Dirty Jobs fans out there.... Mike Rowe will be milking tarantulas and spiders of sorts Tuesday at 9pm :) I'll be watching :)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah i definatly will be watching....only thing that i dont understand...is...keeping Ts and spiders isnt that "dirty" but oh well he is still a funny guy..

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its not on monday for sure, i'm 99.9% sure its on Tuesday. My t.v. barley goes to tuesday at 9 but it says its a new episode so i'm sure thats it.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah i definatly will be watching....only thing that i dont understand...is...keeping Ts and spiders isnt that "dirty" but oh well he is still a funny guy..
They will probably show a roach colony they keep for feeding the T's or explain to Mike about the urticating hairs as most average non-invert lovers would think fooling with that is "dirty". Maybe they'll have Avics and Mike will get shot with poo!{D :D Gotta' watch!

Atreyuhero4

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One question, why milk a T? I'm sure they don't make anti-venom. :p Whats medically significant about it?

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One question, why milk a T? I'm sure they don't make anti-venom. :p Whats medically significant about it?
you're correct about it on tuesday. dirty jobs used to air new episodes on monday, i think :? lol. They don't milk them for anti-venom, they will most likely research the application of the venom to diseases such as cancer, alzheimer's, AIDS, and other diseases without "miracle cures"

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you're correct about it on tuesday. dirty jobs used to air new episodes on monday, i think :? lol. They don't milk them for anti-venom, they will most likely research the application of the venom to diseases such as cancer, alzheimer's, AIDS, and other diseases without "miracle cures"
Oh wow. Wouldn't that be the neatest thing ever if they found out that, say, pokie venom dissolved cancer cells while it was busy putting the recipient in severe pain? All of a sudden, they hobby would be brought to new light.

Hmmm....but then again, it would start a serious exploitation of these beautiful creatures. Double-edged sword.

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some T's they do make anti-venin for. And even if they don't, it's good to extract the venom and test it. That way we can:

1. See how the venom works. Thus we can better understand the tarantula and its methods (and also why does the tarantula not get effected by eating a creature saturated with venom?). There's lots we don't know about Ts, so it makes sense to investigate it.

2. Knowing how the venom works can help us to better understand what will happen if you get bitten. Thus better warnings etc, without having to experience the bite first hand. Also, if you know how it works, we can treat bites much better.

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I noticed on the commercial he milks true spiders as well, widows and such.

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bah.... I just noticed this was already posted.... whoops

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
also of all places why the "spider pharm"?! i have heard lots of bad thing about them...like at least with scorpion deals.....

Avix4me

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome! I love that show and tarantulas! So, combined, extra awesome!

El Viejo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm going to set my TV to go to that channel as soon as it comes on!

tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
spider pharm

Interesting that Charles and Anita Kristensen will have Mike Rowe helping them with venom milking of Latrodectus, theraphosidae etc, They are experts in the field and have started their home based business in Pennsylvania before moving to Arizona some years ago.Just had to comment.Cheers, Tom