michigan pedes??

Xcorecollector

Arachnopeon
i have been browsing the site, and i have seen some people who just find centipedes and millipedes outside their houses. this is of course in like alabama and florida and other states like that. i live in michigan and the only centipede i have ever seen are like 1 inchers. and the millipedes are like teeny tiny. sooo are there even any larger pedes around the michigan area? hah probably not but i was just wondering {D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
there are three "giant" (scolopendromorpha) species of centipedes, but the largest maxes out at around 3-4" BL (body length)

http://www.geocities.com/blight_child/centis/states/cent_MI.html

also, you might not have any in your specific part of the state.

The Scolopocryptops should be the largest. Aside from it's size it can be told from the other species by the fact they have 23 pairs of legs. The Cryptops species should have only 21 leg pairs.

Speaking of Cryptops, those guys can be very little, with adults under 2" iirc

you can tell Cryptops from run of the mill non-giant stone centipedes, because stone centipedes have only 15 leg pairs.

You might also be able to find house centipedes (13 or 15 legpairs, i can't remember... but they are the only ones to have compound eyes, and they have VERY long legs) and soil/snail centipedes which have many many legpairs and actually gain legs with each molt... crazy little things. These soil centipedes can reach 6" in TX but would probably be smaller species in your area. they are very long and worm like, with tiny legs