Miami corn snake

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This guy is way cool looking, and way mean. Most of the snakes that have bitten me at least give a warning first, not this one, he'll be fine one minute and the next he'll latch on. He nuzzles my arm or whatever he's going to bite, then starts chewing, it's really odd. :? He's beautiful though, and doesn't mind being held, but he'll bite at any chance he gets, lol.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wild caught or CB? my corn was extremely docile, she neer so much as struck at me in several years. Its not real uncommon for wild ratsnakes to be nippy though. What're you feeding her?

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He was WC in florida.....maybe the salt breeze from the ocean affected him brain, lol. Just got him a few days ago, and haven't fed him yet, letting him get used to his home before giving him a thawed mouse. Nippy? Nips are small bites, lol.....these are unprovoked chews, hehe. I love him though.

ingas866

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Miami corn

Corns will do this nippy thing when they are ready to eat. I use to have 40 red, black, gray, and so on. They all did this at one time or another. Feed him then try to pick him up about 24 hours later. If he still nips then just handle him more.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
pategirl said:
He was WC in florida.....maybe the salt breeze from the ocean affected him brain, lol. Just got him a few days ago, and haven't fed him yet, letting him get used to his home before giving him a thawed mouse. Nippy? Nips are small bites, lol.....these are unprovoked chews, hehe. I love him though.
Well all cornsnake bites are nips to someone who has larger pythons ;) I concur with ingas advice though, stuff 'em full of mice then handle some to let him get used to you.

Could try wearing thin gloves of some kind so your hands dont feel warm and tasty

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Darn it! Gorgeous snake, now I want one too. But I'm not allowed any more pets. :(

ETA: make sure you wash your hands after feeding it. Heard the young ones might regurgitate if you don't wait a day or 2 before handling it. How soon after feeding an adult can you handle it?

Last edited: