Mexican red knee

Katielou89

Arachnopeon
Hi just a bit curious on how long a mexian red knee can stop eating for, she's not had anything for about 5months now she molted last July i see her eat on 31st of August and nothing since, she always has water I see her sneak out of her coconut at times and she has bold patch too, I have no clue ive tired roaches and hoppers what else can I do??

Michael bradley

Arachnopeon
I have a brachypelma Emilia (Mexican red leg) that hasn’t eaten in 3 months and was my first t and was worried like yourself as was in the same situation.. the advice I got was the t knows best and not to worry for at least a year or so.. all my other ts eat weekly without fail unless premolt.. so just relax and enjoy

Katielou89

Arachnopeon
A year wow that's a long time, i suppose if she's alright then I should just leave her be, thanks for replying

Michael bradley

Arachnopeon
A year wow that's a long time, i suppose if she's alright then I should just leave her be, thanks for replying
Yeah I was shocked at that length of time myself but the guys and girls on here know there stuff.. just make sure she has a water bowl topped up and she will be fine.. is this your only t??

Katielou89

Arachnopeon
Yes i got it for my young son he has special needs and obbseess with any insects and loves spiders watches them for hours on tv, he is far more braver than me lol I do and have read up on a lot about mexian red knee but just don't want to be doing anything wrong

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
the advice I got was the t knows best and not to worry for at least a year or so..
Well, hold on, that's for adult females. @Katielou89 made no mention of the size of the spider. Five months without food in a sling is absolutely something to worry about.

How large is the spider in question? Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Michael bradley

Arachnopeon
Aww bless him he sounds like a cool kid, but just be prepared to make room for more as there very addictive:).. the advice I was given was just offer food once a week but remove if she doesn’t take it.. it might be worth getting a pic up on here if inclosure as you will be asked to make sure setup is ok for your t.. my favourite out of mine is my Acanthoscurria geniculata Brazilian white knee.. an absolute beast and kills his prey even if not hungry lol.. but moves around a lot quicker than my brachypelmas but would highly recommend one as there stunning

Well, hold on, that's for adult females. @Katielou89 made no mention of the size of the spider. Five months without food in a sling is absolutely something to worry about.

How large is the spider in question? Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Well then the advice I was given was wrong then so now I’m worried and confused :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well then the advice I was given was wrong then so now I’m worried and confused :-(
How large is your spider? Like I said to her, pictures are worth a thousand words. Of the spider and enclosure, preferably.

Michael bradley

Arachnopeon
How large is your spider? Like I said to her, pictures are worth a thousand words. Of the spider and enclosure, preferably.
Mine is 2” and just looked back and was actually told 2 years is ok without food?? She looks healthy but now I’m worried that something up with her?

Katielou89

Arachnopeon
I've been trying to upload pictures but it just keeps saying file to big I'm pretty sure the enclosure is fine, and size wise she's about a inch and half ? ?

Mine is 2” and just looked back and was actually told 2 years is ok without food?? She looks healthy but now I’m worried that something up with her?
Can u put a pic of yours up please to see size

Katielou89

Arachnopeon
Yea very similar to my size

I also have that tank too

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
At 2" it would considered a juvenile, half a year without food isn't much to worry about. I would start to be concerned at the year marker, depending on your temperatures. So long as it's abdomen is plump and it has access to water, then it's fine. The two year thing is a bit of an exaggeration even for a healthy adult female. They likely could go that long without food, but it's far from ideal.

I've been trying to upload pictures but it just keeps saying file to big I'm pretty sure the enclosure is fine, and size wise she's about a inch and half ? ?
Advice will be basically the same as above. Aim for the abdomen to be roughly 1.5x - 2x the size of the carapace (the "head") at that size.

As a side, "red knee" usually refers to B. smithi or B. hamorri. Does yours have a red "V" on the carapace like in @Michael bradley's photo?

And to both of you, it looks like you're using the measurement system that goes for body length. That's common in European countries, but here in the US we use diagonal leg span (DLS). Both are perfectly valid for measuring tarantulas. I only bring that up because that spider looks to be a lot larger than 2" DLS, leading me to believe it's 2" body length. DLS is obtained by measuring from the first right toe to the back left toe.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This is the only photo it will let me upload for some reason this is when I first got her 31/07/17 a day after she molted it won't let me upload a recent one
Right, so you don't have B. emilia. You have a B. smithi. Their care is identical, but they are different animals. Regardless, the abdomen looks fine. It could even stand to be a bit fatter. What I will say is that your substrate isn't ideal. The short answer is to make it easy on yourself - go get cocofiber from a pet store and house the spider on that. Wood chips can cause molting problems and drag injuries. For the long answer, click here to watch a short video on how to set up a proper terrestrial enclosure.

Now for your original question. Many spiders begin to refuse food when they're in premolt, which can last for months. At that size, don't worry about five months without food. I'd continue to offer food, but remove the prey if it goes uneaten. Many prey items can actually kill a tarantula if left in there while the spider is molting, so I'd suggest crushing the head or simply removing the prey if the spider doesn't immediately take it.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
What I will say is that your substrate isn't ideal. The short answer is to make it easy on yourself - go get cocofiber from a pet store and house the spider on that. Wood chips can cause molting problems and drag injuries
Pretty sure she is using coco husk

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
When you get that error, try resizing the image before attaching it to a forum post.

Or you can upload to the Brachypelma gallery and then post the gallery link here. (I've never gotten a file size warning when uploading to the gallery; Arachnoboards resizes for you if it's too big.)

"Share BB IMG (With Thumbnail) Code" results in a small preview with a link to the original:

"Share BB GALLERY Code" results in a large preview with a link to the original:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi just a bit curious on how long a mexian red knee can stop eating for, she's not had anything for about 5months now she molted last July i see her eat on 31st of August and nothing since, she always has water I see her sneak out of her coconut at times and she has bold patch too, I have no clue ive tired roaches and hoppers what else can I do??
W/out knowing the size, no one can give you a reasonable answer. Larger Ts last longer than smaller Ts, all things being equal.