Messed up OMG...

PokemonLover

Arachnopeon
My boehmei(1inch) just lost 3 legs on its left side and a pedipalp on the left side too. So frustrating gosh. If cursing was not prohibited here I would do so. Argh! What should I do.. its still moving fast though..

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
What exactly did you do to cause that? Something tells me handling was involved. As far as what to do, if it isn't bleeding excessively, nothing. If it is, dabbing on a bit of flour on the bleeding joints will suffice (don't cover your T in flour--yes, people have done this). You'll probably want to feed pre-killed/injured prey until it molts and regrows them.

PokemonLover

Arachnopeon
What exactly did you do to cause that? Something tells me handling was involved. As far as what to do, if it isn't bleeding excessively, nothing. If it is, dabbing on a bit of flour on the bleeding joints will suffice (don't cover your T in flour--yes, people have done this). You'll probably want to feed pre-killed/injured prey until it molts and regrows them.
It's not bleeding.. I dont handle my T's.. I think it was a bit shocked when I was trying to rehouse it to a new enclosure because my last enclosure was just about 2 inch in height and dont have enough height for burrowing.. it ran in my shirt and I panicked a bit and shoved it's legs.. saying sorry to my T so much..

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
It's not bleeding.. I dont handle my T's.. I think it was a bit shocked when I was trying to rehouse it to a new enclosure because my last enclosure was just about 2 inch in height and dont have enough height for burrowing.. it ran in my shirt and I panicked a bit and shoved it's legs.. saying sorry to my T so much..
Well, then as I said, injured prey and be gentle with it. Don't expect a lot of it for a while; burrowing is probably out of the question. They'll sometimes prompt an early molt to correct bad injuries like this. When was it's last molt?

PokemonLover

Arachnopeon
Well, then as I said, injured prey and be gentle with it. Don't expect a lot of it for a while; burrowing is probably out of the question. They'll sometimes prompt an early molt to correct bad injuries like this. When was it's last molt?
last 4 days..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What can I do to help it survive?
Absolutely nothing. Next rehouse, use the bag method perhaps.

I had a P irminia lose FOUR LEGS and a palp in a molt. It grew them all back in 1 molt. It did not need prekilled prey. However I did give it smaller crickets until next molt.

PokemonLover

Arachnopeon

I had a P irminia lose FOUR LEGS and a palp in a molt. It grew them all back in 1 molt. It did not need prekilled prey. However I did give it smaller crickets until next molt.
What's the bag method ?

PokemonLover

Arachnopeon
When should I start feeding it again? It looks so messed up like its not moving and all.. will it die like that? Im so nervous..

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Maybe your 'first instincts' will change over time -- hitting at/brushing at anything that touches your skin is a bad trait in T keeping.
I know I get a lot more mosquito bites these days because I tend to freeze -- check what is on me before reacting - 'cuz it might some cute jumping spider that I don't want to harm. Or it could be a seed moth (in the parrot room) I want to catch and feed my avic. I am not sure how much our instinctual behaviours can be changed.
I know I have taken a fall down a staircase (tripped - years ago) and held my kitten above my head safely all the way down (honestly -- I bet I would have done the same thing had I been carrying dirty clothes down those stairs --lol) To some extent -- you can freeze and be protective of whatever you are holding or be like my aunt in the ocean -- with a 6 month old baby - who threw the baby when a wave hit her -- luckily someone next to her dived and caught the baby.
Just saying that reflexes/instincts are a big deal in T keeping.
Sorry this happened.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
If I had a magic 8 ball, it would be saying "outlook not good." I'm not sure how well a tarantula with only one leg and one palp on one side is going to fare, especially a freshly molted one.

Never try to move/handle/feed/interact with a tarantula after a molt if it's been less than a week. I bolded this for everyone who reads this to make sure it sinks in. Your tarantula was not ready to be moved into a new enclosure.
I'm not going to get onto you about squishing it... as Ellle said, instincts and all. I once flung a sand boa that bit me. It wasn't my first bite. It wasn't my last bite. But it was unexpected and as such, instinct kicked in (snake was fine, it was only flung about a foot since I was sitting on the floor).

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just lost legs? no other injuries no bleeding elsewhere?

you said its still moving fast above and then lately you said its not moving at all

I think it will be okay... I like the pre killed prey suggestion too

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Don't take this bad but that incident answers well your previous thread question. You are lucky wasn't a Pterinochilus murinus man. Trust me.

I would not use the bag method. Those are very easy Theraphosidae to move/re-house (actually, i move even high strung ones like that, but it's another story).
Open gently the enclosure, put the plastic container to the T (i use one that suits all adult T's size, from dwarf ones to a genus Theraphosa one), put a solid piece of cardboard under, and you're done.

cold blood

Staff member
What can I do to help it survive?

+1 do nothing, leave it alone, feed prekilled prey and wait for the next molt.

just lost legs? no other injuries no bleeding elsewhere?

you said its still moving fast above and then lately you said its not moving at all

I think it will be okay... I like the pre killed prey suggestion too
I had a chromatus take a fall off the table, its injuries were even more severe than yours, it survived...although it was closer to molt.

I totally agree with bugmom(her quote is somehow missing here) that a t should never be moved or messed with in any way until after it hardens, 4 days post molt that t was already in a very vulnerable situation, IMO you were asking for trouble moving it so soon after a molt.

In the long run, legs and even palps missing generally won't result in death.

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
Sorry to hear that. Hope it recovers.
I kno it's hard, BUT u cannot flinch or freak under those conditions. I'd take a bite before I freaked and flung a T somewhere. Expect the unexpected.