Messed Up! Help, Maybe?

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I posted a thread about two weeks ago about a Mature male rosie trying to molt again and it died. Well this is messed up. My first tarantula that I ever had has been a mature male rosie for about two years now and the same week the other one died he too tried to molt after his UM. He died half way through the ordeal. . . or did he? I left him in his cage for probably a week postmortem. About two days ago I put him in a plastic ziplock bag and sealed it up for fear that he might start to smell. Well I just went over to the bag a second ago and picked it up to look at him and was thinking maybe it is time to get rid of him. He started moving!!! I know you are all thinking, they are just nerves. I did too, so, i flicked him and he moved again. then he started up again and is trying to finish the molt! Is there anything i can do to help? He has been trying to molt for about6 days now. Lost cause? should I waste my time?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
From other posts I read, adult rosies can take 2-3 days to molt. Maybe up the humidity and heat and see if it helps?

I've heard people recommended moistening part of the T and molt, but I don't know enough about that to suggest it.

Though, it might be too late and you might want to end his misery.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with better advice for you :)

good luck!

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From other posts I read, adult rosies can take 2-3 days to molt. Maybe up the humidity and heat and see if it helps?

I've heard people recommended moistening part of the T and molt, but I don't know enough about that to suggest it.

Though, it might be too late and you might want to end his misery.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with better advice for you :)

good luck!
Well, he has been molting for almost a week now so it is not a normal molt to make things even more interesting he already had his ultimate molt. I think it is a lost cause and am I am thinking that the freezer might be the best place for him now. :(

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I knew it wasn't a normal molt... but if a normal molt for a rosea can take that long, then maybe a bad molt that is still survivable might take a week.. was my point. Sorry, I should have been more clear LOL

I don't know about MMs attempting another molt, so I am no help there :(

Sorry that you're having to make this decision :(

Nokturnal1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, I hope this is a choice I never have to make. This would take some really soul searching. If you do decide to help him out I know there are posts on here for helping stuck in molt Ts.

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, I hope this is a choice I never have to make. This would take some really soul searching. If you do decide to help him out I know there are posts on here for helping stuck in molt Ts.
I'm sure if you do this stuff long enough then you will. From what I have been told MM rarely survive a post UM molt. Even if by some miracle they do survive it they come out in pretty bad shape. Then there is the small percent that get out in one piece. So I'm not really holding out hope and it has been a week. Thank you all.

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Glycerin the joints, pull out all the stops, help one leg at a time, etc. Take extra care with the palps. He may come out deformed, but perhaps still in some form of survivable condition.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I cant offer no advice I just want to make sure you keep us updated about how he turns out.. Sorry he is having so much trouble hope al turns out well..

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Where is he in the molt? Carapace popped? Is he pulling legs out? It seems unlikely to me that you'll be able to save him but since he's still alive and facing death anyway, why not try? If he's partly emerged beyond just a popped carapace he may have dried already which could be a real problem.

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He has got one leg free. That leg was free when I found him yesterday. I never thought about the fact that he might have dried. dang that is messed up. Well he isn't moving anymore so I think he is done. To little to late I guess. :( Good try though. Right when he started trying to molt I kinda wrote him off so he got a lot farther than expected. Even if he isn't totally gone, after the comment by Moltar, I am going to put him down. RIP Bob.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Probably better that way. :( I mean, there's always hope and all but... this was a long shot.

Sorry for your loss.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss :(

You may wish, with agreement from others, to pop him in the freezer to put him out of his misery.

He had already been written off and if this is indeed the end I wouldn't prolong him any further.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am sort of frustrated that you posted, asking for help... but with every reply said that you think he's done and there's nothing you can do... yet continued to let him sit there for another day...

RIP :(

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am sort of frustrated that you posted, asking for help... but with every reply said that you think he's done and there's nothing you can do... yet continued to let him sit there for another day...

RIP :(
I was waiting for someone to maybe give me some more ideas as to what to do. i did what I could and decided to give him the night to try and work things out. I ended it this morning when I woke up because he didn't make much progress. Sorry if I offended you. He was my first and I have had him for about 8 years so you can understand my apprehension to just totally give up on him.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was waiting for someone to maybe give me some more ideas as to what to do. i did what I could and decided to give him the night to try and work things out. I ended it this morning when I woke up because he didn't make much progress. Sorry if I offended you. He was my first and I have had him for about 8 years so you can understand my apprehension to just totally give up on him.
I think you did the right thing. It was better to wait and give him a chance instead of tossing him right away like so many people do when they think the T is dead when it's really just molting. I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh :(

I definitely understand not wanting to believe it's over... I'm dreading the day I lose my first T, and I hope I don't have to make a decision like this one :(