Megaphobema Mesomelas In Hobby Still?

raggamuffin415

Arachnosquire
Saw these when in Costa Rica... Stunning T. Know these were in hobby a few years back... Are they still being bred or is finding slings practically impossible?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
I don't know if it is, but if you find some, let me know. I've been searching for these ever since I got into the hobby!!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Here we have plenty of those. That's (one) of the reasons why i ended up with a female Megaphobema robustum for free ;)

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
It would be nice to see these in the hobby, very beautiful Tarantula!

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I know of a few people who used to have them, including Anastasia at Net-bug. I don't know if she does still. I also know someone who has females currently and is actively searching for males. They are definitely a beautiful species and I would love to see more in the hobby. Chris, do you know if your countryman is selling any of his currently? The guy I know is able to import and does so regularly.

Kiziordzn

Arachnopeon
They are in hobby now. My photo to confirm:

Bought months ago for 106.66USD/ 80€ / 320PLN

Im from Poland.

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't even know about this species until now. Another thing to go on my wishlist. Thanks guys.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
And why is that? Just curious :?
Because people can't provide the needed conditions. Most mesomelas die before they reach adulthood. Do you sometimes wonder why you rarely see adults of this species? ;) They need very low temps, which most people cannot provide, but still get the species, dooming it to a gruesome fate.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Because people can't provide the needed conditions. Most mesomelas die before they reach adulthood. Do you sometimes wonder why you rarely see adults of this species? ;) They need very low temps, which most people cannot provide, but still get the species, dooming it to a gruesome fate.
What range of "lower temps" I would appreciate the info as I'm eventually going to acquire one.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What range of "lower temps" I would appreciate the info as I'm eventually going to acquire one.
Lower temperatures, man. Just like Haplocosmia himalayana... put the enclosure in the freezer and you're done :)

Joking. Best are 20° to 23/24° for genus Megaphobema. However on a personal note (about M.robustum) they aren't so 'fragile' and delicate. My 0.1 specimen molted fine at 35° night! this last summer.
Important thing is humidity and inches of substrate. They need an higher level of both.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll be straight up with you guys I have never ever had an issue with mesomelas with their temperatures. I've had them cool and warm and have reached adulthood with no problems. For me this species has been really hardy. No complaints at all. I know sometime next year there will be some avalaible in the US.

Megaphobema peterklaasi is a lot more rarer to have in the hobby, mesomelas I've seen often on dealers price list.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll be straight up with you guys I have never ever had an issue with mesomelas with their temperatures. I've had them cool and warm and have reached adulthood with no problems. For me this species has been really hardy. No complaints at all. I know sometime next year there will be some avalaible in the US.

Megaphobema peterklaasi is a lot more rarer to have in the hobby, mesomelas I've seen often on dealers price list.

Looking Back in pictures on this sight. seems lot a people have not had any issues getting them to adulthood either ,getting a sac maybe but not living

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
We know there are adult females with members here and MM males within the last 2-3 years, but I havent' found/read any posts/threads on successful sacks