Mean,Mean Mr. T

littleworkinman

Arachnopeon
Hey folks I want to start a thread on what is the meanest,nastiest most aggressive Tarantula on Planet Earth.

Feel free to elaborate on the why and who of it all.

For me it was a Thai Tiger, that lil booger would rear up and jump at me for just walking in the room, and I loved every minute of it,unfortunantly he was a short lived male "snif".

Who knows maybe this thread will help me decide on my next little friend :razz:

mikeythefireman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Freshly molted 4 cm L. para sling. This morning I was checking on her and she streaked up the side of the vial and bit, then bolted back down to her hide. It seemed the whole purpose behind it was to bite me.:D

spot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a juvenile N chromatus that seems to want to nail me every time I come near it's tank, but I think its just nervous, not mean.....hope so anyway.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mr T is quite mean. If there is fool in the woods, and no-one is around to hear his jibber-jabber, Mr T is still able to pity him.

littleworkinman

Arachnopeon
U.b.

I have read where the Usambara Babboon is a mean-go-getter and am leaning toward the purchase of one of these Orange beauties in the very near future, but I think I just have to have another Thai Tiger also ,ie. Asian Chevron.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Common names?

Do you mean the ones pet stores make up? as common names vary from region to region. Most use the scientific names as it clearly labels the spider.

Also, if you plan to do a search for information, the scientific name will also bring more accurate information.

Example: A pet store labelled a common A. seemani - as a Hymalayin striped bird-eater. I am not even sure if that exists, but I know an A. seemani does.

Pterinochilus murinus - OBT - "Orange bitey thing" or "Orange Baboon Tarantula" from what I read this is one of the more agressive species.

Last edited:

littleworkinman

Arachnopeon
Duh!

Good point well taken and fine by me but is there a quick way for me to look the scientific names up?

I know I have to learn them sooner or later might as well start now.

Ottawaherp said:
Do you mean the ones pet stores make up? as common names vary from region to region. Most use the scientific names as it clearly labels the spider.

Also, if you plan to do a search for information, the scientific name will also bring more accurate information.

Example: A pet store labelled a common A. seemani - as a Hymalayin striped bird-eater. I am not even sure if that exists, but I know an A. seemani does.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Remember, it will also depend on the specific spider. You'll find some Haplopelma's meaner, some Pterinochilus meaner, or others. Some just happen to be meaner, or some happen to be nicer. David up there's P. cancerides could very well be the meanest/stupid crazy/pschycotic beastie on the planet. Or it could just be the meanest he's seen.

OBT's are just weird in my opinion, they're just fast, and will sometimes pick a fight, but usually a disturbance to it's cage will just make it run around.
Although you will see them more then a Haplopelma.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The "meanest" T I've ever seen is my own Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam" (Vietnam Tiger). I named it Bastard for a reason. :)

Runner-up would be a P. Irminia I saw in a pet store a few years ago, but I guess any spider will be pissy when the store owner pokes you with a pencil all day long to show the customers how mean you are. :mad: :(

Delailah

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cerbera said:
Mr T is quite mean. If there is fool in the woods, and no-one is around to hear his jibber-jabber, Mr T is still able to pity him.

"Hey sucka! You better not be jibber-jabberin' to no invis-dible animals! How long are we gonna listen to this jive?"

swade655

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
May Sound weird, but i have a P. Cambridgei that is possessed by satan.... almost always in attack mode and moves almost as fast as my pokies. he thrashes at the sides of his enclosure when eating and will kill anything you put in his lair, hungry or not. it's kind of fun to watch the massacre every now and then! 2 other Cambridgei are quite tame... just managed to get a freakish one with this guy LUCKY ME !!!!