mealworms as sling food

seanlr27

Arachnopeon
what are peoples experiences with mealworms? i got some slings recently p ornata p regalis a versicolor and m robustum,after looking for suitable crickets in the shops i drew a blank so i started using meal worms,i squish the head first before i put them in and my slings seems to love them,i am concerned though that if i put them in alive they would burrow and emerge as beetles,are these beetles edible to the slings and are they as much as a threat as a cricket could be?

Skeri

Arachnosquire
I feed the size small ones to my slings. Some of them like them, some don't. Its goes with all of my Ts. Some only like mealworms, others only eat crickets, a few eat both.

charm271

Arachnosquire
Killed mealworms is all I use for my slings, I don't give crickets or superworms till they are at least about 2 inches.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Killed mealworms is all I use for my slings, I don't give crickets or superworms till they are at least about 2 inches.
Is there a reason why? I feed primarily crickets or B. dubia to all my slings, and they take them readily.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep mealworms and superworms on hand for my scorpions, and to feed some of my Ts when I run out of crickets. Ts get primarily crickets and roaches which are reportedly higher in protein than mealworms. Some of my spiders wouldn't touch a mealworm if their life depended on it, others love them. Most of my slings have seemed to prefer crickets.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting . . . . My smaller T's 2nd-3rd instar and scorps don't seem to like mealies.
But ya I feed mealworms alot to my spiders, they do dry up quick if not eaten tho. I personally stopped using roaches. that is all.

BiGpDaMoNsTa

Arachnopeon
Like charm271, all of my slings get head-squished mealworms until they are about 2 inches....... I hate crickets so much lol. If i can grab them and drop them into a juvie's enclosure I can do it but I don't enjoy dealing with pinheads or cutting large crickets into pieces.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
cut the mealworm in half (gross but effective) and presto - easy sling food. If you're feeding crickets to the rest of your collection pull the legs off and feed those to your slings, they'll eat them gladly.

HardPeppers

Arachnopeon
Squish their head before you toss them in. They'll eat them pre-killed just fine.
I know this is an old thread but whatever. So I have an Avicularia Metallica sling and I need to ask something real quick... if I crush the heads of the mealworms, after it stops moving, will my T eat it or just think its a small stick or something like that?

Justin H

Arachnosquire
I know this is an old thread but whatever. So I have an Avicularia Metallica sling and I need to ask something real quick... if I crush the heads of the mealworms, after it stops moving, will my T eat it or just think its a small stick or something like that?
I feed my sling with small crushed-head mealworms. He doesn't take it if it's too big, so sometimes I have to cut them in half. They know the difference between a corpse and a stick for sure. Not to mention, most mealworms will continue to move for awhile after you've crushed their head.

Tom Moran has a section on his website for general sling care information.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The majority of slings will scavenge dead prey and pieces of dead prey. They definitely won't mistake it for a stick lol

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
If I’m not mistaken T’s can actually smell things. Don’t ask me how but I’m perty sure I read it on here

Simple Mans Nature

Arachnopeon
Mealworms is all I feed to my slings. I crush the head for the bigger slings. And I crush the head and cut them in half for the smaller slings. Then drop in in near they're burrow.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I feed my spiderlings pretty exclusively on small meal worms. Either full with a crushed head or chunks for the smaller spiderlings. I try to feed them meal worms as long as possible - they fill them up for longer and I am feeding less than with crickets. I am still feeding both my larger Avicularia avicularia spiderlings on meal worms about 50% of the time and they still take them. I just stick them in their webbing and leave them until they find them.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
You could also breed meal worms and feed the really tiny ones. It’s not hard to breed them.
I use the really little guys for my slings

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Avics can be picky eaters, and many of them aren't very interested in something that doesn't move.

However, my two Avic slings actually prefer diced mealworm, so give it a try. (They don't usually take the food immediately, but if I leave them alone, they are usually on it within an hour.)
I cut a mealworm in half for my two Avic slings. The side with the head kept crawling with alarming speed, and when it fell off the edge of the webbing, I thought it was lost. To my surprise, the sling caught it on the way down.

Veitality

Arachnopeon
cut the mealworm in half (gross but effective) and presto - easy sling food. If you're feeding crickets to the rest of your collection pull the legs off and feed those to your slings, they'll eat them gladly.
How can you tell if the sling are the mealworm? Do they just suck out the insides? Or do they eat the shell too?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How can you tell if the sling are the mealworm? Do they just suck out the insides? Or do they eat the shell too?
If the mealworm has been moved, the sling probably fed.

Depending on how much the sling eats, the remains won't necessarily be an empty mealworm shell; the remains could be a little ball that doesn't look like anything in particular.