Mature Male LP = sad times

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm sad that it's coming to an end... I have really enjoyed this T and have had him since he was itsy bitsy.

What should I do at this point? Offer him to someone with a mature female? Let him live out his time with me like nothing happened?

Really going to miss this dude.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Keep him well hydrated at all times...feed just once or twice a month after the first couple feedings...they can last longer than you may expect.... have a MM Lasiodora that just won't die, 2 and a half years post molt.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
From what i have read, it is unlikely you will be able to find anyone who wants to breed them. Due to the number of Eggs per sac and the 'worthlessness' of the slings ( everybody be hating on the LP. :( ) there is not much incentive for people to breed them.

Simply carry on pretending nothing happened and enjoy him as long as possible.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
From what i have read, it is unlikely you will be able to find anyone who wants to breed them. Due to the number of Eggs per sac and the 'worthlessness' of the slings ( everybody be hating on the LP. :( ) there is not much incentive for people to breed them.

Simply carry on pretending nothing happened and enjoy him as long as possible.
So true but if you can’t order stuff from Brazil anymore I see all species from there going up in price and demand. But one lp can have what 1-3k slings? My god how do you care for. All those haha might stay cheap, I won’t bother breeding mine I can’t afford all that housings or thousands of vials.

cold blood

Staff member
So true but if you can’t order stuff from Brazil anymore I see all species from there going up in price and demand.
Not species already well established in the hobby...which is a lot of them.

Most of the Brazilian species have zero need for imports, and haven't for a while.

Why on earth would LP's ever need to be imported...lol....we already have too many in the hobby.

The stopping of imports will really only effect very uncommon species (and only if breeding proves difficult), or species not yet in the hobby.

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have loads of springtails, Isopods, and lobster roaches. I could potentially care for and feed thousands of tarantulas indefinitely. The time it would take though... not really wanting to devote that much time away from other things :)

My dude will have to be a virgin forever... poor guy.

Thanks everyone.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have loads of springtails, Isopods, and lobster roaches. I could potentially care for and feed thousands of tarantulas indefinitely. The time it would take though... not really wanting to devote that much time away from other things :)

My dude will have to be a virgin forever... poor guy.

Thanks everyone.
So sorry he turned out to be a he ):

You could post him up for loan/sale, just in case! It wouldn't hurt to get the word out there.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
There's more to life than reproduction. Give him comfortable golden years...and you may HAVE years!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Not for mature male tarantulas ): That is literally their sole goal/purpose/instinct.
I suppose I meant my statement in a larger, "keepers" sense, but you are certainly correct. 2 years into maturity, and my boy is still producing sperm webs.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I suppose I meant my statement in a larger, "keepers" sense, but you are certainly correct. 2 years into maturity, and my boy is still producing sperm webs.
Ahh, yeah. Poor boys! It makes me sad.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Not for mature male tarantulas ): That is literally their sole goal/purpose/instinct.
Hence the long legs to scurry about and then run From predators.
Shame my male has no use I’m always so sleep deprived I could try and sell it locally haha.
I got an error almost every post the type box does not vanish . And Its hard to go to next thread. The done button won’t leave for post.

Solsurfer

Solsurfer
I had one that lived almost 2 years as an mm . It just doesn't sit right with me that I didn't breed him seeing that was his purpose in life him but like other people have said...2000× very small spiderlings is a daunting thought. Not saying I would but maybe allow them to cannibalize until the numbers are more manageable .

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had one that lived almost 2 years as an mm . It just doesn't sit right with me that I didn't breed him seeing that was his purpose in life him but like other people have said...2000× very small spiderlings is a daunting thought. Not saying I would but maybe allow them to cannibalize until the numbers are more manageable .
That's not a bad idea.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Mine is past two and nearing three.
Holy cow, don't say that! I need the habitat my old boy is taking up right now. He needs to move along to spider Jesus and give up his four star accommodations!

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
Holy cow, don't say that! I need the habitat my old boy is taking up right now. He needs to move along to spider Jesus and give up his four star accommodations!
I'll take him cause I got a female in need. Check has to come in though.