Mature male Heterothele gabonensis

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, our male matured about 2 weeks or so ago. I posted these pictures in our photo thread, but considering they're not very common and they're beautiful, I thought I would post a picture of our mature male on here, for whoever doesn't look at our photo thread or what not. We sent him off this morning to someone with a couple of females on a 50/50, so fingers crossed he gets the job done!

He matured at about 2" in less than a year after being 'born' (for lack of a better term). His emboli are huge in relation to his body. The genus Heterothele don't get tibial spurs, but there was no mistaking his enormous emboli when we were checking to see if he had matured. Our last mature male (H. mac) had puny emboli in relation to the size of his body, and since they don't get tibial spurs either I spent like 10 minutes everyday searching for his emboli to make sure we were right that he had matured. There were no questions with Cobra.

Anywho, just thought I would kind of share these pictures with everyone since he's no longer with us. We're actually really glad that he was a male. We thought he was female, just based on ventral sexing, and then this last molt we were pleasantly surprised that he was an ultimate male.

This is a picture of him when he was penultimate:

Thanks for looking :)
Cass

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very nice lil fella you have there! :clap::clap::clap:

I become more enamoured of these little African species every day. I wish you luck on the pairing. Perhaps I'll pick up a few if/when they become available.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't wait till he arrives. And if he isn't succesful I hope atleast one of my 7 slings/juvies will mature out as a male (3 of which are in a communal set up right now).

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah he was quite the problem to pack up, haha. He was off his webbing and onto Mackenzie's back in a second. He was harder to pack up than our H. mac and P. murinus AND P. fasciata all put together, haha.

Cass

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice pics.
I hope all goes well with the breeding of these guys!
ps
I told ya it was a boy!...lol

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've dealt with extremely fast tarantulas before. I bet you the MM Holothele sp. Notre de Santander runs just as fast. The legs look just as long on the H.gabonensis as they do on the NDS.

Try removing 4 of those from a tank (I had a communal project that ran well, though the two females kept consuming their sacs)... legs everywhere.

Pedemonte Mario

Arachnopeon
I bought me 2 of these :D
Together with 3 H. Maculata
5 Diplura rurrenabaque
1 P. Lugardi

Ps; how big is mature in cm?

Last edited: