Massive Spider in southwest Florida ID!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Dolomedes, fishing spiders/nursy web spiders are very common through out NA and even europe with many species to be had, if you cant find any in the F/s area, try your backyard/local streams.
Yeah, I live in a rather boring part of the world when it comes to Flora/Fauna:(

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My buddy who came with me is deathly afraid of spiders and proceeded to stand there with his hand over his mouth as I got closer and closer! lol

Needless to say he got this link sent over to his facebook later on

LOVE the picture!

Herp, the picture is a beautiful one! Great job beautiful again!

mitchnast

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks just like the ones I used to find in Nova Scotia

I only found the giants at a particular lake though. But they were that big.
I was about 8, I Couldn't believe it!

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
My buddy who came with me is deathly afraid of spiders and proceeded to stand there with his hand over his mouth as I got closer and closer! lol

Needless to say he got this link sent over to his facebook later on

LOVE the picture!

Herp, the picture is a beautiful one! Great job beautiful again!

Thanks haha!

Thanks again for looking everyone! I'll be sure to post up more cool Arachnid wildlife shots from down here in sunny southwest florida!

and for anyone thats interested here is my THROUGH a telescope picture of the ghost orchid.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mhmm.. looks like an oky' to me.. Just a normal fishing spider around these parts... I've seen much bigger if you'd believe that when I go kayaking.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
mhmm.. looks like an oky' to me.. Just a normal fishing spider around these parts... I've seen much bigger if you'd believe that when I go kayaking.
Pics would be nice, cause they are so much fun to look at:drool:

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pics would be nice, cause they are so much fun to look at:drool:
I'll get out of one these nights and go but there is absolutely no way I'm bringing my $300 camera on a kayak to get wet and dropped in the water... It's nothing but swamp and snake infested waters out here.

wolfman31

Arachnopeon
dolomedes tenebrosus

Just thought I would let you know I just found a huge dolomedes tenebrosus
female where I live in minnesota she is at least 4 inches maybe five I know
where the big girls are you wont see them just out in the open I live by a large river with with large rock dens thats where the huge ones are there are six inch ones out there waiting to be found I found her near dark under huge flat rock they love to hide during the day on top of that she is more than likely gravid there are no other true spiders in the usa that get this huge except the okeefinokee fishing spider not sure on the spelling even the carolina wolf spiders are dwarfed by these I will try to upload some pics of her to share with you guys happy searching.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Love the Ghost orchid and for you there is one off of rattle snake hammock road...A friend [Dale marantz] can show you it....there are also a few by the dump near the I-75 toll.....very cool...golden gate is full of harrisellia [spelling is wrong here]...another leafless orchid with tiny yellow flowers
again thanx for sharing that pic

PsychoSpider

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love kayaking. Up here in NH we were kayaking on Lake Winniepesaukkee(I can never spell it) my brother saw one just as around 5 inches and he flipped the kayak taking himself with it. We still remind him of it.{D

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
Love the Ghost orchid and for you there is one off of rattle snake hammock road...A friend [Dale marantz] can show you it....there are also a few by the dump near the I-75 toll.....very cool...golden gate is full of harrisellia [spelling is wrong here]...another leafless orchid with tiny yellow flowers
again thanx for sharing that pic
Awesome thanks for the info! If I get another chance to go out soon I'll get into touch with you!

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
heh I also know where an alba form of tempanse is...and a few cigar orchids....a large maple in lely estates has a lot of E. diforme on it about 10 feet up