Mantis ID Help!!!

Mephisto

Arachnopeon
Hey guys I caught this baby today on my backyard and since I got into the hobby of inverts a few weeks ago i plan on keeping her. I just got two emperor emperor scorpions two weeks ago. Plus I'm starting a dubia colony once my roaches arrive on saturday, so I need mouths to feed ^_^
Anyway so like I said i just got into this so I'm a newbie and need someone to help me with identifying this mantis.
Also if you could tell me the basics on how to care for her that would be great!

And sorry for the bad pic, took it with my ipod.
image.jpg

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mantids love to hang around on screen IME. When I kept mantids, all of my setups had a sheet of plastic screen completely covering the back of the tank. This also allowed them to reach the top screen, where they would spend a most of their time hanging upside down. I would also use feeding containers to keep the dubia from hiding in the corners or behind the screen. The mantids learned to go there when they were hungry, whether there was a roach in there or not. Mine would only drink when I sprayed their enclosure. They don't drink from water bowls to my knowledge.

Mephisto

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I'll get some screen for her so she can climb, she seems to be wanting to but she can't climb on the plastic walls :s

On the ID subject, I did some research and it looks to me that she is a Stagmomantis Carolina, can anybody confirm?

Anyways here another foto of her, feeding
image.jpg

purplespider23

Arachnopeon
That appears to be a Stagmomantis californica, and an adult female at that. Feed her well and you may get an ooth or two if she is fertile! It is somewhat late in season so she could be old also, don't feel bad if anything happens, but other than that, enjoy your new friend! :)

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Stagmomantis tend to have long, productive lives in captivity. I don't know when she met her last male but if I was the type of person to say "reckon", I'd reckon you'll get an ooth soon.

Entomancer

Arachnobaron
Yeah, she probably won't last long.

Her abdomen is pretty big though. Might be gravid.

Mephisto

Arachnopeon
Man! I never thought about it being gravid! how should I take care of a gravid Mantis!? Should I provide anything different than a not gravid one? Wht do I do with the oothe?

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Gravid mantids don't typically require much outside of extra feeding. Sometimes they are reluctant to lay and there are things like furniture or higher humidity that can help with that, but I've never had the issue in Stagmomantis. You can leave the ooth outside or keep it in the fridge or garage. Just make sure it doesn't dry out completely.