Mantid eating snaKe(no debate, plz)

BMSGWORS

Arachnopeon
Hi

Do you know any of the details behind the image series, where it was taken etc? I ‘m presuming it’s staged.

Cheers Graham

BMSGWORS

Arachnopeon
The second pic posted appears to have no depth to the setting (see right of mantid). However when I saved and opened it in another package you can see things in the background, so maybe it’s in the wild.

Peter_Parker

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What type of mantis is it? That's a baby corn snake obviously, so maybe they staged it outside to make it look more natural?

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hierodula sp, possibly patellifera
just to clear something up regard to the "copyright violation"
i know the rules, and i've read it several times
the pics were forward from a Chinese website(In China, millions of pics are posted without any respect of copyrights) and posted on a Taiwanese forum of my friend's, so i have no clue whp owns the pics
However, the photos' adresses are all from helzone.com, so i have rights to post anything under helzone reptile forum (http://reptile.helzone.com/reptile/modules/ipboard/), cuz i know the users very well

Last edited:

CustomNature

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually, they're not pics at all, they're screenshots. This is from a show that the Discovery channel runs from time to time called "Mantis: Alien Insect" or at least something very similar along those lines. Same mantis, same snake, same everything. As you can tell, that scene has the corn snake slither along and get nabbed by the mantis and it begins to eat. It doesnt show much of the gory aftermath or anything. Personally, I think it's certainly staged, as many nature documentary type of shows are. Not staged as in it's all done a set or anything, but that it might be filmed on location but the animals and insects are placed where needed to get some good footage. Example: various insects getting tossed into the path of hungry ants or into the web of a spider, just to get the shot. Anyways, just wanted to add to the origin of the pics.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
just to clear something up regard to the "copyright violation"
i know the rules, and i've read it several times
the pics were forward from a Chinese website(In China, millions of pics are posted without any respect of copyrights) and posted on a Taiwanese forum of my friend's, so i have no clue whp owns the pics
However, the photos' adresses are all from helzone.com, so i have rights to post anything under helzone reptile forum (http://reptile.helzone.com/reptile/modules/ipboard/), cuz i know the users very well

This is something for the mods to address, but MY understanding is that unless they are YOUR pictures or you have EXPRESSED consent from the owner then you can't use the IMG tags. Whether the pictures come from china where copyright laws are infringed upon daily or not makes no difference.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got wat u mean now Mori

but wat i meant was
somebody posted those on helzone reptile forum under the hellzone sapce
and saying the photos are from a China website
and i "re-posted" them here

and i didn't know those are from animal planet, so i assumed the person , which is my good friend who posted the photos has the permission, so i can post them with my friend's permission

is that right?

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
moricollins said:
This is something for the mods to address, but MY understanding is that unless they are YOUR pictures or you have EXPRESSED consent from the owner then you can't use the IMG tags. Whether the pictures come from china where copyright laws are infringed upon daily or not makes no difference.
I wish that was the case but most of the people here do not have EXPRESSED consent to use there avatars but no one complains.

Sheldy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeh it is a screenshot from a documentary, you can download it from somewhere I beleive.
I also think its a H. Grandis tbh, but i beleive the documentary states its just a hierodula sp. (they also get one killed by a hedgehog later on in the documentary, also obviously staged)

Mithrandir

Arachnopeon
Yep, also seen the documentary and obviously staged. Elaphe guttata (Now Pantherophis guttatus...) is and American species and Hierodula sp. are Asian right? What species of Hierodula it is, is hard to tell as the different species are so much a like.
In the film a couple of Hierodula also get eaten by chickens in the grass. As far as I know, Hierodula doesn't walk along grasslands but lives in trees and shrubs...
Nice scenes in the doc, but that's about it.