Male Tarantula lifespan

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Hello all!
As the cliché goes, every one is this hobby wants female Ts for their longevity, bigger size, etc. So this got me thinking "do male Ts really die as quickly as people say?" Because from what I've heard most males can get a hefty year or two after they mature out. So really, how bad are male T lifespans?

Thank you in advance!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well considering that males are lucky to get 2 years after maturity and females routinely push past 10 years, it's not like the draw towards wanting a female is unwarranted.

Male lifespans aren't terrible in so far as other arachnids go, but their lifespan is typically dwarfed by their female counterparts.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
It definitely depends on the species. Brachys, Grammys, and Aphonopelma species can last a good decade sometimes (it depends on the individual spiders). However Ts with higher metabolisms like Tapis, Psalmos, and Pokies usually last all told around 3-4 years, sometimes even a little less. Typically New World males will last longer than Old Worlds (though there are some exceptions to this).

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Well considering that males are lucky to get 2 years after maturity and females routinely push past 10 years, it's not like the draw towards wanting a female is unwarranted.

Male lifespans aren't terrible in so far as other arachnids go, but their lifespan is typically dwarfed by their female counterparts.
Oh yes, i definitely see the appeal of getting a female T! But i also do think that newer keepers don't need to rush to get rid of their males, like i used to think i would, but after reading into it, getting a more active male T seems to also be quite entertaining!

It definitely depends on the species. Brachys, Grammys, and Aphonopelma species can last a good decade sometimes (it depends on the individual spiders). However Ts with higher metabolisms like Tapis, Psalmos, and Pokies usually last all told around 3-4 years, sometimes even a little less. Typically New World males will last longer than Old Worlds (though there are some exceptions to this).
Yup, the slow growing species will def have longer lifespans, and i think baboon spiders are sort of in the middle of the slow growing new worlds to the very2 fast growing asian old worlds, still though 2 years after maturing out is still quite a long time to enjoy with your little guy

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Depends....fast growing species may mature in 10 months, and only last a few months after maturing...others may take 2 to 3 years to mature, and live a year or two after maturity...slow growers may take 5-10 years just to mature, and may live 2-5 years after maturity...those males have the same lifespan as many dogs.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
Hello all!
As the cliché goes, every one is this hobby wants female Ts for their longevity, bigger size, etc. So this got me thinking "do male Ts really die as quickly as people say?" Because from what I've heard most males can get a hefty year or two after they mature out. So really, how bad are male T lifespans?

Thank you in advance!
Not everyone's only looking for females... :cigar: I'm having a hellish hard time finding a handsome G. porteri boy... Poor Peach needs a prom date...

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Not everyone's only looking for females... :cigar: I'm having a hellish hard time finding a handsome G. porteri boy... Poor Peach needs a prom date...
It's probably because the demand for females in the market is higher, and it backfires to the people looking for males since people aren't selling them out because not a lot of people will buy, just my thoughts though

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Oh yes, i definitely see the appeal of getting a female T! But i also do think that newer keepers don't need to rush to get rid of their males, like i used to think i would, but after reading into it, getting a more active male T seems to also be quite entertaining!

Yup, the slow growing species will def have longer lifespans, and i think baboon spiders are sort of in the middle of the slow growing new worlds to the very2 fast growing asian old worlds, still though 2 years after maturing out is still quite a long time to enjoy with your little guy
Just had an H. sp. Columbia small mature a few weeks ago, and I have to say I really dislike MMs. Unless they are a Pampho, Xenesthis, etc. (who get amazing colors as male), all of mine tend to just be sad. They eternally wander looking for a mate, and tend to break down/die due to reaching the end of their lifespan very quickly. They don’t really eat or do much of anything except wander. I like getting my males out as quickly as possible, just so they can succeed in their only goal after maturing. Btw, I have had OW and NW MM’s. My Pampho is still going strong at a year, but my A. enzendami lived 7-8 months.

Madea

Arachnopeon
It depends on multiple factors.
1. Do you power feed.
2. Do you control there growth rate.
3. Region, family, sub-family
4. Type of diet.

Just to name a few factors.
There is much more involved.
I have males that are over 2 years of age and are tiny and not even close to there final mold.
I learned this by personal experience.
I mainly have old world.
I feed once every two weeks.
One big meal every two months.
Like a fuzzy, pinky or feeding lizard.
Other feedings are random.

Last male on this method, OBT.
Almost 7 years of age.
No tapping, no scratching.
No ******** behavior.

You will have to find your own way.
Males are amazing and I love them.
And if you want to breed you will learn there value.

Btw that male OBT was a unique case I had.
Most of them reach around 4 years max.

Last edited:

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
It depends on multiple factors...
Temperature appears to be another factor. My lowest shelf male B. albopilosum lived over a year longer than my top shelf male B. albopilosum, which also matured first and was very eagerly seeking a mate. Middle shelf matured and lasted somewhere in-between.

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
Substrate? Now thats Interesting, how does substrate effect a Ts lifespan?
Natural and manmade toxins, harboring bacteria, hardness, abrasiveness, moisture retention (good for humidity), aeration (to prevent anaerobic bacteria), etc.

Madea

Arachnopeon
Natural and manmade toxins, harboring bacteria, hardness, abrasiveness, moisture retention (good for humidity), aeration (to prevent anaerobic bacteria), etc.
Ty finally someone understands, also if the T digests bits, or sometime has little wounds from rough behavior (o.w like tigers who bang the glass, etc.) ... Here's something that most people do not use for T's as knowledge...
Some types of soil will build up high ammonia or carbon <<< !