Male GBB breeding questions

Primus DCE

Arachnopeon
Hi, I looked at the forum categories and I didn't see a specific "love connection" type category, so I apologize if this info is already readily available somewhere on here.

My GBB sling just recently molted and is very obviously a male (leggy, hooks, and boxing gloves). Still somewhat new to the hobby, this is the first confirmed male I have and I have a few questions:

1) Is he ready to be paired straight off once he has hooked-out? He looks small, I was not sure if I should give him a few more molts to optimize a successful pairing. I have noticed that he is already pacing his enclosure and ignoring food, so I feel like he is primed to go! I don't want to deny him his final journey if I can start looking for his new lover ASAP.

2) I remember reading somewhere that GBB females were notoriously picky and are difficult to pair. Is this true in any of your experiences?

3) I live in the Washington D.C. Metro area and I was wondering if there's a good online "Tarantula Classifieds/ E-Harmony" for this type of thing

I will miss the little guy if he gets eaten or I have to mail him off somewhere, but I feel like I owe him the chance to do his last duty for his species and the trade. Any pointers or information to help me send him on his way to love would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Congrats on your first MM! Some people see it as a bad thing, but raising males to maturity is rewarding imo. Nothing like seeing your little guy grow into his prime. :)

1) Is he ready to be paired straight off once he has hooked-out? He looks small, I was not sure if I should give him a few more molts to optimize a successful pairing. I have noticed that he is already pacing his enclosure and ignoring food, so I feel like he is primed to go! I don't want to deny him his final journey if I can start looking for his new lover ASAP.
A mature male will not be able to molt again after he matures - this is why the maturing molt is referred to as an "ultimate molt". He will likely die long before attempting to molt again, and any case i've ever heard of where a MM attempts molting (iirc i've heard of a few Brachypelma making it that long) has ended with the male passing away in the process. So yes, your little guy is going to be as ready as he'll ever be. Let him harden up, make sure he has plenty of water, try to get a meal or two in him if you can and keep an eye out for him making sperm webs. You'll want to try and get him to someone with a female as soon as you can - the fresher the male, the better.

2) I remember reading somewhere that GBB females were notoriously picky and are difficult to pair. Is this true in any of your experiences?
They are difficult to pair, unfortunately due to the females being known for munching their males. If I were you, I'd try to find someone who has paired them successfully to loan to.

3) I live in the Washington D.C. Metro area and I was wondering if there's a good online "Tarantula Classifieds/ E-Harmony" for this type of thing, or even anyone on here looking for a male for a breeding project. I would even be willing to try and pack him up for a delivery.
You'll want to post him up in the Invertsonals sub forum! I assure you someone will want to pair him, GBBs are always in demand and due to their difficulty breeding, supply tends to be lacking. You can even loan him out for a 50/50 split on the slings if the pairing is successful, and keep a handful of his offspring.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
They aren’t particularly hard to pair, but they are hard to get a sac from. I’m not sure where the rumor of aggressive females started but lots of people like to keep it alive. If the female is fed plenty and is ready to breed chances of him getting eaten are low. Their pairing can take several hrs so I usually leave the male in with the female overnight and I haven’t had a male GBB get eaten in several pairings.

Luckily for you this forum is the eharmony of tarantulas. Post in the invertsonals and I have no doubt someone will put him to use. I’d put him to use if I didn’t already have to MMS lined up!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Their pairing can take several hrs so I usually leave the male in with the female overnight and I haven’t had a male GBB get eaten in several pairings.
Good to hear that you've had luck, based on what I've seen/heard I was under the impression that pairing them could be pretty difficult, not just getting them to drop a sac. Nice to know that may not be the case.

cold blood

Staff member
due to the females being known for munching their males. If I were you, I'd try to find someone who ha
I agree with metal man 100%. While they are hard to pair, it's more of an extended courtship that takes a long time and a lot of patience on the breeders' part. I've paired them successfully many many times and never once have I seen any aggression from the female.

I strongly suspect that this widely held belief that they're male eaters come from the fact that a. Many people are trying to breed immature females or females that are just not ready in their molt cycle. Or b. That they are just way too hasty and aggressive with their pairing and not willing to take the extended amount of time that pairing these animals requires. It can literally take hours at a crack and many pairings before courtship finally results in paydirt. or c. its new breeders who really dont know what they are doing.

It is probably one of the most time-consuming breeding projects one can take on and definitely something you don't want a first-time breeder doing with your male.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Can I add that if you decide to do a deal with someone who does not come with some credentials, that you sell your male as opposed to doing a 50/50 loan? I've heard of a number of people being dishonest about the results of loan pairings. If you really have your heart set on getting spiderlings instead, go with someone who has a good reputation in the hobby.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with metal man 100%. While they are hard to pair, it's more of an extended courtship that takes a long time and a lot of patience on the breeders' part. I've paired them successfully many many times and never once have I seen any aggression from the female.

I strongly suspect that this widely held belief that they're male eaters come from the fact that a. Many people are trying to breed immature females or females that are just not ready in their molt cycle. Or b. That they are just way too hasty and aggressive with their pairing and not willing to take the extended amount of time that pairing these animals requires. It can literally take hours at a crack and many pairings before courtship finally results in paydirt. or c. its new breeders who really dont know what they are doing.

It is probably one of the most time-consuming breeding projects one can take on and definitely something you don't want a first-time breeder doing with your male.
I belive this too. Females that attack males most likly arnt 100% ready for breeding

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hi, I looked at the forum categories and I didn't see a specific "love connection" type category, so I apologize if this info is already readily available somewhere on here.
What you want to do is post an ad here:

Invertsonals: breeding loans (where you send off the male as a "stud" in exchange for a percentage of the slings)

For Sale/Trade/Want to Buy: if you want to do it the simple way and just sell/trade him to someone with a female