Major differences between similar Poecilotheria? Reasons to own one over another?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I’m back into the hobby, and getting back into Poecilotheria specifically. I’ve always said that regalis was my favorite species, but I have a fasciata(from inside my state of CA per the law) and striata, both 7” females, coming in the mail tomorrow. I’ve been looking at pictures, and I don’t notice any major differences in color and pattern between the two, as well as some of the others that are similar looking. Obviously metallica, rufilata, subfusca, ornata, etc. are very different in color and/or size. Are there any reasons you would choose a striata, fasciata, regalis, etc. over one another? I know they come from different areas and can be of different rarity and the like. But from a keepers standpoint, are they different enough to need multiple different species?

Also, feel free to drop pictures of your adult females! Comparison pictures especially welcome!

Last edited:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
A lot of them are pretty similar looking, the standouts of the genus to me have been metallica, subfusca, & vittata.

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
I have striata, fasciata, regalis (and metallica but thats not one of the 'lookalikes') and none of them are adults yet, all slings and/or juvies, but I can already discern differences between each of their appearances... though they do obviously look very similar. We will see how they differ as they grow into adulthood. Beyond their appearance, I really enjoy observing differences in their behavior, which definitely varies between each species.

I think it just comes down to personal preference and the keeper's level of interest in the specific Poecilotheria genus. I think it's fine either way, and I understand both sides of the opinion.

The only thing that bugs me is when people write the entire genus off as a bunch of identical tarantulas. :rolleyes:Just makes me think they either need glasses or they've never actually seen a Poecilotheria. Several species are very similar, yes, but I just have to laugh when I see people call the genus boring. And I've read posts like that multiple times!

I will say for reasons to own one over the other, though this is all just anecdotal and based off my single specimens from each species... my regalis is a bit of a nut, always running laps, my striata is by far the most reclusive, while the fasciata is actually pretty chill, all things considered.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Size, color, temperament decide what I’m getting

Surfing Tigress

Arachnosquire
I’m back into the hobby, and getting back into Poecilotheria specifically. I’ve always said that regalis was my favorite species, but I have a fasciata(from inside my state of CA per the law) and striata, both 7” females, coming in the mail tomorrow. I’ve been looking at pictures, and I don’t notice any major differences in color and pattern between the two, as well as some of the others that are similar looking. Obviously metallica, rufilata, subfusca, ornata, etc. are very different in color and/or size. Are there any reasons you would choose a striata, fasciata, regalis, etc. over one another? I know they come from different areas and can be of different rarity and the like. But from a keepers standpoint, are they different enough to need multiple different species?

Also, feel free to drop pictures of your adult females! Comparison pictures especially welcome!

I am slightly biased because they are my favorite... but Pokies are the BEST lol :). I own mostly the more rare species of Pokie; their colors can be really awesome as well as their size... I DEFINITELY recommend owning a variety of these species though! As slings they look quite similar but as they grow they become quite different. I find their temperament makes them fairly easy to clean their cages as they tend to hide as opposed to attack. They are quick growers and the best part of having more than one Pokie is watching them web up. It is fascinating to me that they are all Pokies yet have completely different webbing styles. For example:

* My metallica creates her little home behind her standing log and creates a large completely open and visible den utilizing the bare log as her walls that goes a little bit down into the substrate. She only webs herself up a hammock style thing outside her home to sit up in when she is shedding and then makes takes her shed and webs it in her den and makes it into part of her home .

* But my ornata makes this intricate large web all the way up the side of her tank behind her log that she builds walls on by combing webbing and substrate and actually builds in separate rooms with a long tunnel that comes out the top. When she sheds she closes off just the top of the tunnel and when she's is done she brings her shed out and puts it outside her home down on the ground by her water bowl.

* And yet my rufilata makes an underground closed off den that goes all the way down to the bottom of the tank through several inches of substrate including big pieces of coconut bark at the bottom he takes out with just a tiny opening that you can't really see into at all (except by looking through the bottom glass up into it that way). He creates a large webbed area to block off the whole back of the log when he is shedding and then leaves his shed right outside his door.

Richard Ramey

Arachnopeon
I have striata, fasciata, regalis (and metallica but thats not one of the 'lookalikes') and none of them are adults yet, all slings and/or juvies, but I can already discern differences between each of their appearances... though they do obviously look very similar. We will see how they differ as they grow into adulthood. Beyond their appearance, I really enjoy observing differences in their behavior, which definitely varies between each species.

I think it just comes down to personal preference and the keeper's level of interest in the specific Poecilotheria genus. I think it's fine either way, and I understand both sides of the opinion.

The only thing that bugs me is when people write the entire genus off as a bunch of identical tarantulas. :rolleyes:Just makes me think they either need glasses or they've never actually seen a Poecilotheria. Several species are very similar, yes, but I just have to laugh when I see people call the genus boring. And I've read posts like that multiple times!

I will say for reasons to own one over the other, though this is all just anecdotal and based off my single specimens from each species... my regalis is a bit of a nut, always running laps, my striata is by far the most reclusive, while the fasciata is actually pretty chill, all things considered.
In reading info on these I thought they hid a lot. Not really a display ?
Are they more display than what I have been reading ?
Thanks for info !

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Thanks for info !
I am still a novice in many ways - been in the hobby 11 months now. From what I read and researched on the genus, I was expecting similar behavior -- hidden tarantulas that I would get to see maybe once a month or so. Now I have two adults, 4 juveniles, and while my AF ornata is fairly reclusive, most of the juveniles are out and about frequently! The MM ornata is also frequently laid out alongside the edge of his enclosure instead of in his hideout. So, with my limited experience, I was personally surprised by how frequenetly my pokies are visible. Now, this has varied from species to species.. but I think it's also just something that can be chalked up to each spider having their own personality.

If you're worried about them being hidden all the time... My advice would be to get 4 Poecilotheria slings all at once, and then you'll have the best chances of seeing at least one of them on a decently often basis! That's what I did and it worked out well for me.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks for info !
Typically adult pokies don't hide much.....They are a great display genus.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for info !
IME it varies by individual, even in some species that are known to be more light sensitive (ex metallica). I have a juvie rufilata that is always on display, but I have two that I only see at night. Similar story with metallica. I have 2 that are on the front of their cork flats 75% of the time, but I also have one that almost never leaves its webbing. My AF regalis is pet cork and I'm lucky if I see her out once in a 6 month period whereas others have individuals that are display specimens. Kind of a roll of the dice if you get a bold one, but even then, it's still rewarding and worth it when you do get the chance to see them.

Thanks,
--Matt

cold blood

Staff member
IME it varies by individual, even in some species that are known to be more light sensitive (ex metallica). I have a juvie rufilata that is always on display, but I have two that I only see at night. Similar story with metallica. I have 2 that are on the front of their cork flats 75% of the time, but I also have one that almost never leaves its webbing. My AF regalis is pet cork and I'm lucky if I see her out once in a 6 month period whereas others have individuals that are display specimens. Kind of a roll of the dice if you get a bold one, but even then, it's still rewarding and worth it when you do get the chance to see them.

Thanks,
--Matt
Geez, ive owned dozens of pokies and have yet to have a hider.

My reccomendation is to not use cork tubes...lol.

T Lurksalot

Arachnopeon
I do prefer to get Pokies that look a little different for the sake of variety. Out of the group that all look similar I also agree that Regalis is the best looking, here’s my 7” female :)

9B0E51DC-8D9C-4DFE-BE16-1125AD0519CD.jpeg

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P. fasciata has a nice red tinge underneath. A pokie for distinguished tastes
F8E30BD3-8F1D-4F29-A64F-622476A09811.jpeg