1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major differences between similar Poecilotheria? Reasons to own one over another?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by neubii18, Jun 10, 2019.

1. neubii18

neubii18 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I’m back into the hobby, and getting back into Poecilotheria specifically. I’ve always said that regalis was my favorite species, but I have a fasciata(from inside my state of CA per the law) and striata, both 7” females, coming in the mail tomorrow. I’ve been looking at pictures, and I don’t notice any major differences in color and pattern between the two, as well as some of the others that are similar looking. Obviously metallica, rufilata, subfusca, ornata, etc. are very different in color and/or size. Are there any reasons you would choose a striata, fasciata, regalis, etc. over one another? I know they come from different areas and can be of different rarity and the like. But from a keepers standpoint, are they different enough to need multiple different species?

Also, feel free to drop pictures of your adult females! Comparison pictures especially welcome!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  2. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    It’s just one’s preferences I would say.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Don’t choose one over another by getting them all! ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  4. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron Active Member

A lot of them are pretty similar looking, the standouts of the genus to me have been metallica, subfusca, & vittata.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. I have striata, fasciata, regalis (and metallica but thats not one of the 'lookalikes') and none of them are adults yet, all slings and/or juvies, but I can already discern differences between each of their appearances... though they do obviously look very similar. We will see how they differ as they grow into adulthood. Beyond their appearance, I really enjoy observing differences in their behavior, which definitely varies between each species.

I think it just comes down to personal preference and the keeper's level of interest in the specific Poecilotheria genus. I think it's fine either way, and I understand both sides of the opinion.

The only thing that bugs me is when people write the entire genus off as a bunch of identical tarantulas. :rolleyes:Just makes me think they either need glasses or they've never actually seen a Poecilotheria. Several species are very similar, yes, but I just have to laugh when I see people call the genus boring. And I've read posts like that multiple times!

I will say for reasons to own one over the other, though this is all just anecdotal and based off my single specimens from each species... my regalis is a bit of a nut, always running laps, my striata is by far the most reclusive, while the fasciata is actually pretty chill, all things considered.

6. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Size, color, temperament decide what I’m getting

7. Surfing Tigress

Surfing Tigress Arachnosquire Active Member

I am slightly biased because they are my favorite... but Pokies are the BEST lol :). I own mostly the more rare species of Pokie; their colors can be really awesome as well as their size... I DEFINITELY recommend owning a variety of these species though! As slings they look quite similar but as they grow they become quite different. I find their temperament makes them fairly easy to clean their cages as they tend to hide as opposed to attack. They are quick growers and the best part of having more than one Pokie is watching them web up. It is fascinating to me that they are all Pokies yet have completely different webbing styles. For example:

* My metallica creates her little home behind her standing log and creates a large completely open and visible den utilizing the bare log as her walls that goes a little bit down into the substrate. She only webs herself up a hammock style thing outside her home to sit up in when she is shedding and then makes takes her shed and webs it in her den and makes it into part of her home .

* But my ornata makes this intricate large web all the way up the side of her tank behind her log that she builds walls on by combing webbing and substrate and actually builds in separate rooms with a long tunnel that comes out the top. When she sheds she closes off just the top of the tunnel and when she's is done she brings her shed out and puts it outside her home down on the ground by her water bowl.

* And yet my rufilata makes an underground closed off den that goes all the way down to the bottom of the tank through several inches of substrate including big pieces of coconut bark at the bottom he takes out with just a tiny opening that you can't really see into at all (except by looking through the bottom glass up into it that way). He creates a large webbed area to block off the whole back of the log when he is shedding and then leaves his shed right outside his door.