Magicicada Brood II (?)

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pretty. don't know if you can keep em(nymphs)
This is not a nymph, it's an adult. I'm not attempting to keep it. It is 'free range' on my back deck along with millions of others in the surrounding area.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is not a nymph, it's an adult. I'm not attempting to keep it. It is 'free range' on my back deck along with millions of others in the surrounding area.
I know it's not a nymph. I was just wondering if someone tried to keep a nymph and how'd they did it. Cause if I recall they suck the life out of the trees so to speak. Perhaps tree sap?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The nymphs live up to 3 meters underground and feed on xylem from deciduous tree roots. In a larger forested area, there is little danger of a brood sucking the life out of all of the trees. Heavily cicada populated orchards will exhibit minimized fruit size and production, especially during emergence years as the adults may feed on above ground twigs, and the females lay their eggs in twigs. I don't think it would be feasible to attempt to keep a nymph for the 13 to 17 years of its life cycle.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wish I saw an invasion of these in my area. I want to find the rare blue or white eyed individuals.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wish I saw an invasion of these in my area. I want to find the rare blue or white eyed individuals.
I caught like. 30 + or more and put them all in a jar. ;o They were kinda twitching when I saw them though. they didn't fly away so I thought/think they're near death.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cicadas on the fly! The deck, yard and driveway are littered with them. Not to the extent I have seen in past emergences, but definitely making their presence known. Stepping onto the back deck for a cigarette guarantees at least a half dozen in my hair and wearing another half dozen back into the house on my clothing. Two of my dogs have given up on eating them. The third dog is wondering how in the world she can hold all this manna from heaven. LOL

I think there may be a different brood emerging now. They are smaller than the earlier group. These critters are so cool! Hopefully I will be around to see the next emergence in 17 years.

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 12:22 PM ----------

I caught like. 30 + or more and put them all in a jar. ;o They were kinda twitching when I saw them though. they didn't fly away so I thought/think they're near death.
Why would you stuff them in a jar like that? Let them be to complete their reproduction and lifecycle.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When I was a little kid, I would spot them in trees and shoot them with my BB gun, I became pretty good at it. Now we're friends ....but I do wonder what they taste like fried up in cada gravy.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I was a little kid, I would spot them in trees and shoot them with my BB gun, I became pretty good at it. Now we're friends ....but I do wonder what they taste like fried up in cada gravy.
I dunno about gravy, might be awful slimy. But, remove the wings and flash fry or roast them and they might not be too bad. Free protein! :)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Unfortunately for us, from what I've understand is Brood II doesn't exists on Long Island (not sure how they missed us). We have to wait for Brood X in 2021 :( Although I seem to always find one or two a summer, no matter what year it is.

Later, Tom

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unfortunately for us, from what I've understand is Brood II doesn't exists on Long Island (not sure how they missed us). We have to wait for Brood X in 2021 :( Although I seem to always find one or two a summer, no matter what year it is.

Later, Tom
Apparently, even though the 13 year species cycle close to the 17 year species, there are always those that didn't get the memo and are not in sync with the rest of their respective brood. I may have to pay a visit to LI in 2021 to see Brood X. :)

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 07:29 PM ----------

I just found this neat site:
http://www.magicicada.org/about/brood_pages/broods.php

Looks like I can anticipate Brood V in this area in 2016, as will Brood X in 2021.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Later, Tom
According to the map certain parts were supposed to but never did. 27 years on LI and I Never seen a 17 year cicada in person I'm beginning to think they don't exist here at all.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
According to the map certain parts were supposed to but never did. 27 years on LI and I Never seen a 17 year cicada in person I'm beginning to think they don't exist here at all.
Don't be to discouraged man, they are definitely here. I remember large swarms when I was a kid, and I've got some years on you. There is definitely a few randoms that hatch ever summer as well. I photographed this one a summer or 2 ago in Nassau County....

Later, Tom

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't be to discouraged man, they are definitely here. I remember large swarms when I was a kid, and I've got some years on you. There is definitely a few randoms that hatch ever summer as well. I photographed this one a summer or 2 ago in Nassau County....

Later, Tom
I meant the Periodical cicadas, that's the ones with red eyes not in your photo. I do see the dog day cicadas each year in small numbers, like you just posted. One year I found an individual with some pink mixed in!