Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Allergy: Popular Insect Hosts a Troublesome Mold

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches (Grompadorhina portentosa) are extremely popular as pets, classroom animals and reptile food. Recent studies at Ohio State University have revealed a darker side to these otherwise harmless insects…their bodies and wastes are colonized by 14 mold species, several of which can cause allergic reactions and secondary infections. I’ve worked with huge colonies of these and other feeder insects in zoos, and coworkers seem to have developed allergies to crickets, but I have not heard of similar reports concerning roaches. As of now, precautions rather than outright avoidance of Hissing Roaches are being advised. Read the rest of this article here http://bit.ly/1qbzhLb
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: http://bitly.com/LC8Lbp

Best Regards, Frank

GSA8

Arachnopeon
I developed an allergy to Blaptica dubia roaches, over the course of 6 years of keeping them. I have been told that cockroach allergy is one of the most common allergies worldwide. This was told to me by my son's allergist. As such, i also have a bad reaction to the urticating hairs of New World tarantulas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I developed an allergy to Blaptica dubia roaches, over the course of 6 years of keeping them. I have been told that cockroach allergy is one of the most common allergies worldwide. This was told to me by my son's allergist. As such, i also have a bad reaction to the urticating hairs of New World tarantulas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks...yes, happened to several co-workers in zoos...crickets as well. Everyone has trouble with urticating hairs if they get near the nose or eyes, however (co-worker wound up with cornea surgery)..stay clear! Best, Frank

watertiger21

Arachnopeon
I interned at an invertebrate zoo for a summer. One or two of the zoo keepers I worked with had developed an allergy to the hisser roaches and all the interns/volunteers were told to super wash our hands after working with the roaches (in order to hopefully help us keep from developing an allergy).

jecraque

Arachnobaron
I am allergic to my dubia as well. It's not unbearable (still better than crickets!) but definitely noticeable. I was the roach-bin-cleaner of the house until recently; now my partner assists. Interesting article!

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am allergic to my dubia as well. It's not unbearable (still better than crickets!) but definitely noticeable. I was the roach-bin-cleaner of the house until recently; now my partner assists. Interesting article!
Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated...at the Bronx Zoo, where we kept thousands of feeders crickets also seemed to cause more problems, and more intense reactions, than roaches. Dust masks and goggles helped me, but not always enough for folks with severe allergies. Best regards, Frank

GSA8

Arachnopeon
I also have to wear a particle mask, gloves and goggles when handling and cleaning my roach bins. Great info in that article Frank!

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a mold allergy but had it before even keeping cockroaches. Surprisingly, I have no allergies to cockroaches or their feces like some people do. I keep their tank really clean and run an air purifier, and those mites on hissers keep them clean, so I leave them in my hissers they are supposed to have them.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a mold allergy but had it before even keeping cockroaches. Surprisingly, I have no allergies to cockroaches or their feces like some people do. I keep their tank really clean and run an air purifier, and those mites on hissers keep them clean, so I leave them in my hissers they are supposed to have them.
Thanks Keith... can't say for sure, but allergies seem specific..some folks not bothered at all, despite other allergies as you mention; but cleanliness,. air purifier excellent ideas in general, esp as some sensitivities seem to build over time - fine for years, then trouble. Yes, the commonly seen mites are harmless, even useful, some info here: http://bit.ly/1hYriQE; take care, Frank

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
I've started getting a mild itch and raised bumps/rash from handling hissers, especially if they get off my hands onto forearms. As an experiment, I washed one big guy's underside and legs with water (he hated it, of course) and put him on the underside of my forearm and didn't get any reaction, even when he jabbed me a few times with his tibial spines.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've started getting a mild itch and raised bumps/rash from handling hissers, especially if they get off my hands onto forearms. As an experiment, I washed one big guy's underside and legs with water (he hated it, of course) and put him on the underside of my forearm and didn't get any reaction, even when he jabbed me a few times with his tibial spines.
Very interesting, thanks...but [please don't experiment too much!...or maybe a career in research would be a path for you? Droppings and other debris also seem to be involved, so take care when cleaning cage, etc. best, Frank

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, good to know. Just water worked for you. I should try this. :)

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Haha, don't worry, I don't plan on risking my health or theirs with anything crazy. I'm just thinking about how it would be to start a new colony and prevent or restrict mold growth. Maybe some kind of false bottom to collect frass...

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha, don't worry, I don't plan on risking my health or theirs with anything crazy. I'm just thinking about how it would be to start a new colony and prevent or restrict mold growth. Maybe some kind of false bottom to collect frass...
I use springtails and terrestrial isopods. They eat the mold. :)

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Somewhere on the net the guy who runs roachcrossing mentions that the larger hissers cause many more issues than the smaller Elliptorhina. He recommends dipping the insects in dilute hydrogen peroxide. Perhaps a good precaution to use for outreach animals. Of course start with only one roach!