Macro Wars 2003

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this is messin up the macro idea of the thread but; i think the T's brain gets turned on pause as soon as you turn it over (or dont let its legs touch anything) at least that's how it is IME :)

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess that has to be true, the pic being the evidence. But I sure as hel wouldn't try it.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Answer for JDK...

Now I get the question. The statement about their brain shutting down when their feet don't touch anything is for the most part true. Some individuals and some species however don't go for the grabbing them thing. When I grab them by the Ceph I am usually doing it to one of the more calm species such as B smithi , B boehmei , G pulchra etc. but like I said some of them don't care for it. My large Chacos for instance while they don't get aggressive they flail their legs around like crazy trying to get loose. Another interesting side note is that if you lift even the more aggressive species by going underneath them with a large pair of tweezers once their feet are up they just freeze with all their legs spread. I've done this with Usambaras, Goliaths, Thorelli, and plenty of other nasty ones. It's pretty wild. Gotta give credit where it's due though that trick was shown to me by Swifty.

Phil

Last edited:

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When i first held a tarantula it was like that. Stan Schultz was teaching me to pick it up like an egg and simply flip it over. I did it with a redknee, but he grabbed a H.minax with no trouble and i pet its belly.

Mark

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Awww... I wish I had a camera that nice :p Here's the closest I could get to my only tarantula that was out, this morning ;)

Say hi to Zippy (female A. seemani).

-Bryan

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
as any body got any recommendations for a mid price Digital camera?
Chid

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
B. smithi...

Up close. Lighting was bad and my hand was shaking from the cold of being outside, but it's still kinda neat. (btw, this is with my new Coolpix 4500 - I just got it! :D)

Attachments

Last edited:

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: This party's just getting started!

Originally posted by invertepet
V. platyomma sling...
Awesome! (Both picture AND spider)

Joy

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very, very, VERY nice pic.
The War is back on.
But it'll have to wait till tomorrow, for me at least..;)

I'll be back,

Ernie

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I stand in awe...I despise the macros of you all....lol. j/k. VERY good pics! I have yet to not be amazed!