M. robustum sick

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

I was doing some cage maintenance and realized I hadn't seen my juvenile female M. robustum in a while. I took a peak down her hole and saw what appeared to be a leg curl. Dismayed, I picked up her cork bark. She is still alive, but not doing well.

She moves almost like she has the dyskinetic syndrome. She curls her legs like she's dead, but then starts stumbling around trying to escape. She molted within the last two months, didn't have any noticeable problems, and has eaten since.

Any thoughts on an approach here?

Thanks.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
could have been an issue from the moult.

I dont know what you could do apart from leave water dish nearby and dont disturb.

Fingers crossed it forces another moult to right the problem.

Best of luck

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
could have been an issue from the moult.

I dont know what you could do apart from leave water dish nearby and dont disturb.

Fingers crossed it forces another moult to right the problem.

Best of luck
Thanks. That's the plan right now. I'm really pretty bummed about this one.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Any other T,s in her vicinity?On the same shelf/room?Are they doing ok?
M.robustum are pretty stout animals.Whats her DLS.Maybe some pics would help.

As KezyGLA said,not much to do but wait.Hoping for the best outcome.Anything to do
with Megaphobema,s gets my interest.

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
Any other T,s in her vicinity?On the same shelf/room?Are they doing ok?
M.robustum are pretty stout animals.Whats her DLS.Maybe some pics would help.

As KezyGLA said,not much to do but wait.Hoping for the best outcome.Anything to do
with Megaphobema,s gets my interest.
The only other T on the shelf, or even that side of the room for that matter, is an adult female L. parahybana. There are 15 other Ts, 3 scorpions, and a whip scorpion on shelves on the other side of the room. They're all fine.

I would take pictures of her, but I don't really want to bother her. She looks generally healthy...just limp. I will say that when I looked at her earlier it was almost like her legs were limp. When she tried to move her legs just kind of flopped around like they didn't have much rigidity.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
She may have molted, and was too weak to get to the water bowl for a drink. I'd set her mouth parts in a water dish.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed the part about her molting and eating. Do you keep the substrate moist or dry?

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
She may have molted, and was too weak to get to the water bowl for a drink. I'd set her mouth parts in a water dish.

EDIT: Nevermind, missed the part about her molting and eating. Do you keep the substrate moist or dry?
I keep the half of the cage with the water dish moist.

Edit: Rough day. My dog just got skunked.

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
Well, that didn't last long. I must have caught her on her last day of life. :grumpy:

I've not had good luck with these spiders. I ordered one when I was 14 and it was DOA. This one was seemingly healthy and eating...until it wasn't.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, that didn't last long. I must have caught her on her last day of life. :grumpy:

I've not had good luck with these spiders. I ordered one when I was 14 and it was DOA. This one was seemingly healthy and eating...until it wasn't.
Well rarely a DOA is buyers fault, man :)

Plus maybe your M.robustum died of old age. Or the effects of a bad molt, who knows... sadly this kind of .... happens. Don't be discouraged :-s

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah, DOAs aint your fault. And sometimes Ts die in our care with little to no knowledge of why.

As Chris said, dont let it put you off.

PS. I hope your dog isn't too high.. I mean I hope its alright ;)

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
I did not even think about the alternative meaning for skunked!

He got sprayed by a striped skunk last night when I let him out. The skunk apparently did not appreciate my dog's attempts at friendship.