M. Robustum or groundhog?

Cody Richardson

Arachnopeon
Anybody ever have a redleg that loves to dig? Mines is about 1" 3/4 big, living in a 6"×12" enclosure on 5" of soil and has dug out like half the bottom.. its ridiculous!

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Sounds just like mine, it's 2" has built a mountain and has a huge cave at the bottom, does come up at night though.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does it actually spend a lot of time underground, or is it more of a bulldozer and just likes moving the dirt around and digging?

Cody Richardson

Arachnopeon
It comes out at night and stays in its cave most of the day. Pokes its legs out when its hungry but thats the only time i really see it. On another note...what is the longest yall have had a sling go without eating? i have a 1/8 inch B.Smithi that hasnt eaten in over 2 months, it has molted twice and seems to be doing fine but its still concerning a bit.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't understand the concern, it's normal :)

M.robustum are so much hardcore burrowers that can compete (and win) with the most die harder 'pet holes' like H.gigas or 'haplos'.

I personally love that specie.

Cody Richardson

Arachnopeon
Ive never owned a sling this small so when i see all my other slings eating regularly i got a lil worried. Thanks!

boina

Lady of the mites
M. robustum are the biggest cheats of all Ts. They have this great colors and those fluffy legs so you will covet them and buy them and then they will dig a burrow and disappear into it never to be seen again, so you will just have a box of dirt to display. I hate them :wacky:.

Cody Richardson

Arachnopeon
AW haha i see mine at night and inside of its cave, but ive heard rumors that after they are over 4-5" that they spend more time out of their hide. Anyone know this to be true or not?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
M. robustum are the biggest cheats of all Ts. They have this great colors and those fluffy legs so you will covet them and buy them and then they will dig a burrow and disappear into it never to be seen again, so you will just have a box of dirt to display. I hate them :wacky:.
Yeah but how do you really feel?

:rofl:

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
On another note...what is the longest yall have had a sling go without eating? i have a 1/8 inch B.Smithi that hasnt eaten in over 2 months, it has molted twice and seems to be doing fine but its still concerning a bit.
My B. hamorii (ex smithi), at that size, went nearly a month, but was in premolt. I fed it cricket thighs, they will scavenge, then at 1/4"+ gave live lateralis nymphs. At 1" would feed on any live prey, (dubia, crickets, lateralis and an occasional mealie (post molt) to fatten it up). As long as their rump is equal to/or larger than the carapace I'm not overly concerned.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
M. robustum are the biggest cheats of all Ts. They have this great colors and those fluffy legs so you will covet them and buy them and then they will dig a burrow and disappear into it never to be seen again, so you will just have a box of dirt to display. I hate them.
I have heard of a couple that did not follow the guidelines.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I see mine absolutely every time I check on her... granted, she's probably my most skittish spider. It's never long before she flashes back underground.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I really dig the two M. Robustum that I keep in my collection. Mine generally hang around at night and dart off and hide as soon as they notice me around. I have had these guys since they were tiny slings and it is pretty cool when I do get to see them out. Almost every time I notice a size difference with them from molts that secretly happen in their burrows.

OhGeezRick

Arachnopeon
My robustum could outdig a mole, I swear. They're so pretty... then they vanish into their cave and are never heard from again. Until feeding time, o course.