Lycosidae sp?

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
I caught this little guy a couple nights ago at work and have searched hours upon hours with no luck as to what it exactly is. Location was elkins, West Virginia. I've went through galleries for spiders in my state and nothing :/ .A friend said it looks male and suggested it was in the lycosidae family. Went right to town on a roach and drank water so that's a good sign lol. IMG_20180705_071350.jpg IMG_20180704_230519.jpg IMG_20180704_201752.jpg

NYAN

Arachnoking
One of the best ways to determine spider families is using the eye pattern. This chart can be found by just searching online ‘spider eye pattern chart.’ This spider looks like hogna carolinensis, but the range doesn’t seem to include West Virginia.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
One of the best ways to determine spider families is using the eye pattern. This chart can be found by just searching online ‘spider eye pattern chart.’ This spider looks like hogna carolinensis, but the range doesn’t seem to include West Virginia.
I'm baffled myself. I looked at hogna carolinensis but the pattern is different than the one I have. :confused: I've found 1 image of one with the same pattern but it didn't give me anything other than just the image >.< checked out the website and the person who posted the picture used it as a gallery for someone's webpage :(

NYAN

Arachnoking
I'm baffled myself. I looked at hogna carolinensis but the pattern is different than the one I have. :confused: I've found 1 image of one with the same pattern but it didn't give me anything other than just the image >.< checked out the website and the person who posted the picture used it as a gallery for someone's webpage :(

I see. Well then I don’t know. I think that lycosidae is the family though.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I caught this little guy a couple nights ago at work and have searched hours upon hours with no luck as to what it exactly is. Location was elkins, West Virginia. I've went through galleries for spiders in my state and nothing :/ .A friend said it looks male and suggested it was in the lycosidae family. Went right to town on a roach and drank water so that's a good sign lol.
Definitely a mature male wolf spider (Lycosidae), likely Schizocosa. If you have a ventral shot, you may be able to confirm that it is Schizocosa avida.