LPS muffs up again!

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Still not helpful Draiman. I don't believe Spiderman24 was trying to say that only Selenocosmia can stridulate. There are hundreds of different species of T's and most of us don't have intricate knowledge of more than a few of them... Again, could you expand on your Chilobrachys assessment? Please, we all came here to learn and share our knowledge.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Still not helpful Draiman. I don't believe Spiderman24 was trying to say that only Selenocosmia can stridulate. There are hundreds of different species of T's and most of us don't have intricate knowledge of more than a few of them... Again, could you expand on your Chilobrachys assessment? Please, we all came here to learn and share our knowledge.
I've changed my mind. Your spider is clearly a Selenocosmia (Phlogius) crassipes that is so cool because it stridulates.

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Again not helpful Draiman. Thanks for sullying my thread with your antagonistic behavior though. I think you need a nap friend. You are cranky.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dude, I've been looking for a dichromata for so long and you found one in a pet shop??? Lucky!

I've had several P. crassipes, none have looked like this T. Gorgeous! Not sure if it's a Chilo or Selenocosmia, I could see it belonging to either genus. Or some other for that matter. I don't have anything useful to add but I'll be curious as to it's ID if it's found.

Edit: after looking through some pics, there are pics of C. guangxiensis and hauhini looking like this T, esp subadults....

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Again not helpful Draiman. Thanks for sullying my thread with your antagonistic behavior though. I think you need a nap friend. You are cranky.
You want help? Here are the ID keys for Selenocosmia and Chilobrachys (Simon 1903 and Robert Raven 1985). I hope you have a CO2 setup with which you can immobilise your spider and do the examination necessary to distinguish between the two genera. Have fun!

Selenocosmia:

4th pair of legs not much longer and thicker than that of the first Pair, often shorter. Patella + tibia IV much longer, as long as or mostly shorter than patella + tibia I. leg formula I, IV, II, III or IV, I, II, III, tarsi of 4th Pair of legs in some species with less than 3 claws. Lyriform stridulating organs on the prolateral palpal coxa, oval, almost round, consisting of more than three rows of short, lancet-shaped rods, of which the lowest rows can be longer than those lying above them. Scopula on tarsi IV undivided in large species, indistinctly divided in medium-sized species. Foveal groove very small and shallow. Scopula on metatarsals III, almost reaching the base of the limb. Anterior eye row procurved. Spermathecae consisting of 2 seminal receptacles that can be divided.

Chilobrachys:

Lyriform stridulating organs on the prolateral palpal coxa semicircular or oblong to oval. Up to 3 rows of paddle or bobbin-shaped stridulating organs only on the palpal coxa, dissimilarly large stridulating rods present, of which the bottom row are longer than those lying above them. No thorned rows on the chelicerae. Anterior ocular row straight. Spermathecae bi-lobed only, their seminal receptacles often divergent.

I can even email you the entire pdf. file if you'd like. Like I said, have fun.

P.S. - Your spider is, without any shadow of doubt, a Chilobrachys. Believe it or not it's up to you...

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
I never said that I didn't believe you Draiman. I was just asking you to explain why. You see, it was not helpful for you to just come in here saying it was quite obviously a Chilobrachys species without explaining why. I was just looking for a little more information. No one was trying to be rude or disrespectful in any way with the exception of you. You came in here guns blazing and ego inflated.

Thank you for using your C02 setup to do the examination necessary on my photographs.

P.S. - Your attitude is unwarranted and not appreciated. Thanks once again for treating me like like an idiot. I hope you feel better now.

synyster

Arachnobaron
I do believe that if what you are searching for is a possible ID, you should put your emotions aside and take into account what Gavin posted...

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
Dramain is right, this is most likely a Chilobrachys sp. Of course none of us could be 100% certain without a shed or a specimen to examine, but the look is dead on for Chilobrachys (the build of the spider, the setal coloration, other visible morpho traits). I can tell you it is not from Australia and probably not PNG, but closer to Thailand/Northern W.Malaysia, anywhere up into Southern China. Chilobrachys are quite capable of stridulation, I'm yet to see an example from this genus that lacks a stridulating organ (but it is entirely possible). Aussie T's get the label "whistling spider", because many species are quick to hiss at you, if startled. Some of them (like the "Rattlesnake T" will stridulate for no apparent reason, and they'll hiss on and on, and on), and they sound for all the world like a rattler. Others, like Selenotholus foelschei make what Dr Tracey Churchill described as a "babbling brook or stream" sound. ;)

I hope this helps,
Steve

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
I do believe that if what you are searching for is a possible ID, you should put your emotions aside and take into account what Gavin posted...
I have been more than happy to do so this entire time, and don't feel that I suggested otherwise. I was simply asking for some reason for the statement that it was quite obviously a Chilobrachys species. Until a few days ago the only thing I knew for sure was that this spider was quite obviously not a P. murinus. I came here to share and to learn. What Steve included in his post fulfilled my needs perfectly. I had not set my heart on it being an Australian spider, though I am thankful that I researched them due to the confusion surrounding this T. I unfortunately do not posses firsthand knowledge of either genus, and decided to post here to see if anyone had any useful information they would be willing to share. I did feel that Gavin was being a bit antagonistic, whether it was intentional or not. I do feel that he was not being very forthcoming with his information and that it was not helpful, at least of course until the final post he made with a bit more detail in it.

Seriously though. I'm pretty mellow and I never meant any offense to you Gavin. I apologize if my posts were not clear in that regard. I was just hoping for a continued dialogue about this spider, so that I might care for it the best I can.

That being said, any idea what this one climbs when on moist substrate? I thought that Chilobrachys liked a bit more humidity?

---------- Post added 11-09-2011 at 08:16 PM ----------

Also, Thank you Steve for your response. I do appreciate your post here.

Last edited:

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
Your cutie looks a lot like a Chilobrachys fumosus (Pocock, 1895). In color and carapace pattern at least :3

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That being said, any idea what this one climbs when on moist substrate? I thought that Chilobrachys liked a bit more humidity? Also, Thank you Steve for your response. I do appreciate your post here.
You're welcome :) Chilobrachys, as I understand them, are a very interesting group that live in varied terrain, from dry country to very damp tropical to temperate rainforest. Some species are labelled as "semi-arboreal" and there do seem to be accounts of juveniles (and rarer, of adults) of some species being found in tree hollows low to the ground. So the reason for climbing could be due to a number of reasons, an ecomorphic trait (arboreal adaption, but this I would consider unlikely), the spider may simply like a drier environment.

I've found with most species I've ever kept (very limited, Aussie T's only), that both those that live in desert, as well as those found in rainforest, do well in similarly kept enclosures, I don't keep the rainforest species in any higher humidity than I do for strictly desert adapted species. In fact, I find if I mix it up, I get unhappy spiders.

Being you clearly have a selenocosmiine species, I would go for about 60-80% humidty and provide deep substrate to burrow, keep the substrate damp, but not moist (I don't know of any tarantula that likes a moist environment), and you can let it almost dry out before rehydrating too (but avoid going below 55%RH or else you may see dessication).

Steve

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been more than happy to do so this entire time, and don't feel that I suggested otherwise. I was simply asking for some reason for the statement that it was quite obviously a Chilobrachys species. Until a few days ago the only thing I knew for sure was that this spider was quite obviously not a P. murinus. I came here to share and to learn. What Steve included in his post fulfilled my needs perfectly. I had not set my heart on it being an Australian spider, though I am thankful that I researched them due to the confusion surrounding this T. I unfortunately do not posses firsthand knowledge of either genus, and decided to post here to see if anyone had any useful information they would be willing to share. I did feel that Gavin was being a bit antagonistic, whether it was intentional or not. I do feel that he was not being very forthcoming with his information and that it was not helpful, at least of course until the final post he made with a bit more detail in it.

Seriously though. I'm pretty mellow and I never meant any offense to you Gavin. I apologize if my posts were not clear in that regard. I was just hoping for a continued dialogue about this spider, so that I might care for it the best I can.
In retrospect, I was feeling pretty irritable when I made my first couple of posts on this thread, hence the "attitude". My apologies. Spiderman24 didn't help the situation though.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
In retrospect, I was feeling pretty irritable when I made my first couple of posts on this thread, hence the "attitude". My apologies. Spiderman24 didn't help the situation though.
Oooooh so close! Had to add the excuse at the end..lolol.

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Thank you again Steve for a helpful post. I guess I should have used a better word than moist. I really meant damp. I don't keep any T's on sodden moist ground, in fact, most of the T's I keep are from more arid climates. I have recently come back to spiders after keeping mostly scorpions for some time. This particular T has been with me through the extended adventure on the dark side and I've always wondered about it.

Gavin, thank you for stopping by to clear the air. I do appreciate your apology and hope that you accept mine. I feel that we can let the negativity rest. You seem like a very knowledgeable person with whom I would love to have further discussion... In your initial post you mentioned that this spider was most likely the one being labeled as huahini. Any idea as to what species that one actually was?

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Very interesting Scourge. Thank you for that post, I had not stumbled upon either of those threads yet. I have to say that a lot of that went over my head, but I'll be decoding it slowly for a more thorough understanding. I did find a thread which contained a list of Chilobrachys and the different species that are commonly imported under the wrong name, but I can't seem to find it again. I knew I should have bookmarked it. I'm really hoping that I catch this spider molting next time and can pull the exuviae before it gets destroyed like the last one. In the mean time perhaps I'll set up a new enclosure for it providing a semi arboreal set up and deep substrate to see which it prefers. I was not aware that some of these display arboreal tendencies in the wild.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Buying from petstores = supports the WC trade witch is the biggest threat to these animals.