LP vs. Cyclosternum fasciatum

iluvcreepystuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok I am 12 and I want the LP and I sorta want the tiger rump and my mom thinks that because they are big they are 2 dangerous so she doesnt want me to get it but to get the tiger rump.
Could you please tell her all of the wonderful things about LP's and that they are no more dangerous than a cat.
Which do you prefer?

Last edited:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have both but they're still small. even for a fast grower like an LP it's gonna take a couple years to get to full size so you have plenty of time to get used to it.

right now i kinda like the tiger rump a little more but it's new so the novelty hasn't worn off yet:D

i would order a tiger rump and ask for an LP sling freebie if i was you:}

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wouldn't consider either species to be dangerous. I also wouldn't recommend holding them. Not for your safety, but for theirs. The size of the LP will make it more difficult to hold, which could result in a fall. The speed and skittishness of the C. fasciatum will do the same. They are both really cool....you should get them both.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are both about equally dangerous. That is, they are not dangerous at all to your health, though neither species is particularly docile for a NW tarantula. If either, I'd say the tiger rump is a bit more of an iffy proposition from a personality perspective because they tend to be quite skittish and comparatively fast.

The difference in size between them doesn't mean much as far as danger is concerned. They are never going to bite you, but even if either did it wouldn't be a big deal. The venom is nothing to worry about in either case and the mechanical damage would be like getting stuck with a tac in either case. With the LP it would just be a big tac. Not really a safety concern.

Tiger rump is a bit more interesting to look at in my opinion, though.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've kept multiple specimens of both and pretty much agree with what gvfarns just said. C. fasciatum is fairly skittish and very quick but not defensive at all. A L. parahybana is less skittish but not necessarily a sweetheart either. Both will readily flick urticating (itchy) hairs at you if they feel bothered.

Since you're fairly young and just beginning with pet spiders I feel compelled to say the following: Although both of the above are fairly docile, non-dangerous tarantulas, there are some other, probably better choices. G. pulchripes (ChacoGold Knee), E. campestratus (Pink Zebra Beauty) B. albopilosum (Curly Hair) are all extremely gentle and docile. Although they can flick hairs at you they almost never do. They're generally quite handleable (within reason). My 6" G. pulchripes often climbs out onto my hand without any prodding. In addition, I think all three are better looking than L. parahybana which, in my opinion is a bit drab. They are, I think, the very best "starter species" because of their very calm temperament and fancy appearance. I'd reccomend trying to get larger slings (at least 1") or a small juvenile. Slings 1/4"-1/2" in size can be a little frustrating, they may take a whole year just to get up to 1".

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
C. fasciatum is one of my faves. Such an interesting species.....Way moreso than my LP (whom I practically detest).

To ease your mother's fears, the C. fasciatum does not get very big. Mine is 3" and almost mature.....although females can get to 4" or so. Secondly (under supervision, of course), I would, and have let my 4 year-old daughter play with him. My 6 year-old son can practically wrangle his 3.5" B. smithi by himself. Both of my kids can handle my 6" Rosie, or 4.5" Avic avic without issue...size does not denote any measure of safety.

Furthermore, barring a handful of species, NW tarantula venom is extremely mild. After being bitten and haired by the same species, I can safely say that I prefer the bite. Also, having experienced bites from so-called "docile" species, I no longer worry so much about the effects of the venom on my children with the species I allow them to handle. (No parent ever wants to see their child bitten, but let's be rational......if you unreasonably shelter you children they will be unreasonably fearful, themselves.)

Good luck, hope this is of some help to you.

Marvin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello friend.

I'm guessing since your 12, you don't have any spiders yet? Maybe you should consider some terrestrial spiders instead? They are generaly more calm and docile.

If I should go out and buy my first T again, I would definitly buy a Brachypelma.

They Brachypelmas are very good looking. Very bright colours! They are also great display Ts that sit out in the open most of the time. Have a look at the Brachypelma familie and I'm sure you'll find something that you like.

A G.Rosea would also be an execellent choice. Good looking and considered more calm then Brachypelmas.

iluvcreepystuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your probably thinking because im young im a complete newb but so far I have 1 B. albopilosum and 2 B. vagans and I would have more but I aint got no money lol. I know urticating hairs are itchy, burn, and sting some from what ive heared.
Ive memorized about all of the scientific names and can match them to common pretty accurately.
Ive spent a total of about 21 hours on here reading and im ready for a LP.
I know that c. faciatum dont get very big and are quit beautiful but I have wanted an LP ever since I got into the hobby and the main reason is the size.
I dont really intend on holding either of them not for the sake of my safety but the t's safety.
I know if I keep getting t's im eventually gonna get bit so im not worried about that.
I have been bitten by a black racer I caught in my back yard and it hurt more than a getting stuck with a giant thumb tack so I will be okay.

PS: Marvin I wrote this while you replied so it might sound kinda funny but I guess that means I hit the nail rite on the head:]

Last edited:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had both and would be more pron to handle my LP then my tiger rump because my tiger rumps are much more jumpy and the LPs ive had are like kittens untell you throw some cricket in their cage.

That being said I like the tiger rumps better because they are more active and web tons. I now keep mine on moss and they go to town webbing and burrowing but I can always see them.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great advice Everyone....

Lp is one of my Favs.......I have an 8" and 9" female.......between them, they have killed and eaten 3 MM's this Fall :eek:
Hence the 3 headstones in my 20 gal. long naturalistic set-up.LOL

I have All the Sp. mentioned in this thread.......Why?
Cause they are some of the most easiest to work w/ and yet still have many fascinating characteristics.......

The Chaco Golden-Knee, you will not regret gettin', espescially if you love your, I take it, Friendly Curly-Hair.......Both the most docile T's I feel....;)

I have held the 9" Lp.......Once! Properly keepin' T's, Does not mean gettin' bit
eventually though........Your preparation is good.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well then, bearing your experience in mind I'd say you're completely ready for either T. Good luck convincing your mom that a big LP is no more dangerous than a smaller C. fasciatum. It's true though. Just because a mature LP could eat a kitten doesn't mean it's not a kitten in its own right.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Moltar.....

I've had kittens that were much Feistier than LP's........:evil:
Meow........ERRRRrrraaaaoouw!......One scar to Prove! :D
17 yrs and mellow now...LOL
- Jason

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah Jason, you have a point. I've been hurt much worse by kittens than any spider.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yeah no kidding. Them kittens will lick you with their rasping tongues until your flesh is raw, curl around your legs so you fall down the stairs, and bring you putrid, disease ridden dead animals while you are asleep.

...And that's when they are being affectionate.

iluvcreepystuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Friendly curly hair

lol my curly hair would be a great show specimen but he aint no holder.
Take away coloring, venom, and urticating hairs and you have a p. murinus lol

iluvcreepystuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh and I forgot to add unfortunately I was unable to talk her into a LP but I now have 2 c. fasciatum and they are beautiful, huge webbers ( after 1 nite of having them) , and eating well.
I'm happy with what I have, but when my birth day rolls around I will have an LP!

NateTheGreat

Arachnopeon
oh and I forgot to add unfortunately I was unable to talk her into a LP but I now have 2 c. fasciatum and they are beautiful, huge webbers ( after 1 nite of having them) , and eating well.
I'm happy with what I have, but when my birth day rolls around I will have an LP!
Congrats. Cool looking species, I want one. Good luck on getting an LP.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a lp and shes not the nicest. I deffinitly wouldnt want to handle her. She kicks tons of hairs and in i touch her or come near i get a threat display. That being said she will only hurt you if you let her. Dont let them bite you and your fine. Use the right tools and techniques and you will be safe. Another thing is understanding their behaviour which is another reason a less agressive terrestrial may be better.

What are your reasons for wanting LP? They are good for show species. but for most of them i wouldnt trust them enough to handle though there are some really calm ones.

NateTheGreat

Arachnopeon
I have a lp and shes not the nicest. I deffinitly wouldnt want to handle her. She kicks tons of hairs and in i touch her or come near i get a threat display. That being said she will only hurt you if you let her. Dont let them bite you and your fine. Use the right tools and techniques and you will be safe. Another thing is understanding their behaviour which is another reason a less agressive terrestrial may be better.

What are your reasons for wanting LP? They are good for show species. but for most of them i wouldnt trust them enough to handle though there are some really calm ones.
I held my LP yesterday. Extremely calm.