Lots of little webbing?

noelle

Arachnopeon
hi!

I got my Avicularia avicularia about three weeks ago, and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about some activity she's been up to. She has about four spots in her tank that she has started to web in, just a few silk strands here and there, and one that's only a little more substantial, a little corner spot that is on the ground of her habitat, anchored to her water bowl and two sides of the tank.

I was wondering if this might be a sign that her habitat is too big, and she can't make up her mind to web in one particular spot because she isn't comfortable? Or is she just testing her habitat, and I should just leave her alone?

She's in an exo terra mini tall, 12x12x18.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
How big is she? That size would be good for a mature adult, a bit big otherwise though.

pics would help a bunch.

noelle

Arachnopeon
How big is she? That size would be good for a mature adult, a bit big otherwise though.

pics would help a bunch.
I have small-ish hands, I’d say maybe like a 3.5 inch leg span if she is sitting comfortably, like in that picture. I know she is only about half the size of the other pink toe that was at the exotic shop.

Attachments

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I’m not an expert, but that habitat seems fine to me. It probably is a little big, but I would find it hard to believe that it’s so big it’s stressing out the spider. I keep my 1.25” Versicolor in a 4x4x8” habitat which proportionally is about the same as your T and habitat.

The webbing doesn’t sound too crazy to me either. My GBB did something similar in its habitat, laying a small amount of web in numerous places before settling on one area to make a web lair.

Also, get ready for people to chide you about handing the T. It is a bit risky (for the T), especially an Avic which is quick and can jump.

Anyway, I would give it a week or so to settle down in its new habitat.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That's way too big for a 3.5" Avic, pretty much anything under 6" would be fine in the size down from that (nano tall 8"x8"x12").

noelle

Arachnopeon
I’m not an expert, but that habitat seems fine to me. It probably is a little big, but I would find it hard to believe that it’s so big it’s stressing out the spider. I keep my 1.25” Versicolor in a 4x4x8” habitat which proportionally is about the same as your T and habitat.

The webbing doesn’t sound too crazy to me either. My GBB did something similar in its habitat, laying a small amount of web in numerous places before settling on one area to make a web lair.

Also, get ready for people to chide you about handing the T. It is a bit risky (for the T), especially an Avic which is quick and can jump.

Anyway, I would give it a week or so to settle down in its new habitat.
Yes, I actually don’t handle her at all, that is just the best picture I have of her, which happens to be the day I got her and the only time I’ve really held her.

It has been about three weeks since I put her in there, but I will just leave her be and see what she decides to do.

Thanks!

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
It seems a bit on the bigger side but it should be fine as long as you keep a close eye on feeding, just make sure its gets the crickets and you should be fine.

It sounds like the T has only been in there a short while, just give it some time to settle in, and try to add a water dish if there isn't already one in there (i couldn't see one).

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Yes, I actually don’t handle her at all, that is just the best picture I have of her, which happens to be the day I got her and the only time I’ve really held her.
That's actually pretty cool. I have no interest in handling, but I would love to have just one pic of me holding them when they get mature. Maybe I will if they seem chill enough.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
Your avic is probably just trying to find a spot it likes. I agree, the enclosure is a bit big for the T but it will grow into the enclosure. I keep my A. avic (roughly the same size as yours) in a old pretzel container that is roughly 4" W x 4" deep x 14" tall so its more narrow than your enclosure and she/he did the same as your with webbing. Web here and there and over there until she found her spot.

BTW, I cant get over how calm these Ts are... Its the only T I've ever willingly handled when transferring to her new enclosure. No hair flicking, no threat posture, no jumping, and no poop shooting... (thankfully) lol

noelle

Arachnopeon
It seems a bit on the bigger side but it should be fine as long as you keep a close eye on feeding, just make sure its gets the crickets and you should be fine.

It sounds like the T has only been in there a short while, just give it some time to settle in, and try to add a water dish if there isn't already one in there (i couldn't see one).
I do have a water dish at the bottom :) also I was a bit concerned about the feeding as well as it is a bit hard to tell if she’s getting the crickets. I’ve never actually seen her pounce on one. Would you suggest maybe feeding in a separate container? Or something different? I don’t want to try tong feeding and risk breaking a fang....

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
I do have a water dish at the bottom :) also I was a bit concerned about the feeding as well as it is a bit hard to tell if she’s getting the crickets. I’ve never actually seen her pounce on one. Would you suggest maybe feeding in a separate container? Or something different? I don’t want to try tong feeding and risk breaking a fang....
>.< i should have paid more attention to your initial post.

No, i would definitely not suggest moving her, from you pics the T has a nicely plump abdomen and could very well just not need a meal, but a time-frame would be very helpful, a few weeks without a meal is no big deal.

What i usually do for picky eaters is first just wait, they don't feed wait a week and try again.
If that doesn't work wait another week but try maiming a cricket (rip a hind leg off) this time so it's easier for the T to catch.
If that fails try smaller prey items (my versi is a wuss)
If that fails try pre-killed (try to place it near her favorite spot).

If you want to tong feed you could get rubber tipped tongs, but I've avoided tong feeding since i had my lividum try to scuttle up them during a transfer lol

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
but I've avoided tong feeding since i had my lividum try to scuttle up them during a transfer lol
Sounds like a nightmare, could you not avoid this with the use of Vaseline or is this a no-no?

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
Sounds like a nightmare, could you not avoid this with the use of Vaseline or is this a no-no?
Id rather not find out the hard way that it doesn't work :p, plus i imagine it would be a pain to work with tongs covered in vaseline.

Don't get me wrong, i still have tongs, but i just don't hold the feeders up to my T for them to grab