Lost the fight....

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
RIP to my H. pulchripes, Mr. Space-legs...

0F3A21FC-2A51-478F-A544-7F896328F5AC.jpeg

CC51F89D-B4D7-445A-BB7B-B69AFC25E956.jpeg

I think he died due to complications from the two molts he tried to undergo in the past few days. It seems like there’s a detachment btw his carapace and abdomen - as if he started to molt both times but had troubles and stopped.

2FF7AB69-61B1-4989-A559-A16D42381CD5.jpeg

He’s totally malleable, no rigor mortis, no death curl, no stench, so I am completely shocked and confused. But he’s definitely dead, before I took these goodbye pics he had not moved in close to 12 hours that I’m aware of (probably longer BC when I left the house yesterday morning he was in the same position last night - we tried to move last night gently w a paint brush to see if there was any reaction - there wasn’t and he was he was unresponsive - and he hasn’t moved since last night, he’s still in the same position as he was this morning). Either way, I’ll miss u little guy...
Side note:
@viper69 wanted me to mention I used no flash for these pictures, just natural light, and taken with my iPhone camera. One of the most beautiful species I’ve owned by far, yet the ficklest - both Hps I’ve had have died from molt complications. I’m so heartbroken...

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Sorry to hear you lost Mr Fickle. The picture looks very odd never seen that much stretch at the pedical.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear you lost Mr Fickle. The picture looks very odd never seen that much stretch at the pedical.
Yes, that’s why I think he died. He tried to molt twice in the course of less than a week and failed both times. My husband has been semi-convinced that the spider is in a coma or some sort of stress induced hyper status - but I felt his abdomen and it’s really squishy, he’s completely unresponsive and that abdomen disconnection (for lack of a better term) seem tell-tale...

I was so optimistic in my last thread ab him a show I was trying to nurse him to health again. He kept going from fully alive to very partially dead
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/cannot-lose-this-one.300182/page-2#post-2704759

I am currently in rolling to study as a mortician for a career change. It’s sad that my career seems to have begun with something that I cared for so much. It’s hard to be both the nurse and the undertaker... but I have put him in the freezer to freeze dry so that I can mount him in a frame and displaying later. I do this with most of my deceased tarantulas. A small homage to an immense beauty…

Very tragic indeed...

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Total bummer. He was very handsome.

Here's to endless dubia, lateralis, crickets and worms in Valhalla.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Losing a tarantula like that is a huge bucket of suck. Sorry about the loss of that one.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Sorry for your loss. I've never seen an injury like that before. Thank you for posting about it.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss. I've never seen an injury like that before. Thank you for posting about it.
Neither have I!! And I have dealt with my share of sick/hurt/dying tarantulas (not sure if any of you guys remember the P. subfusca lowland fiasco that happened a year or two ago). The strange thing is when you think about the word “injury“ you would just think like perhaps a missing leg or something more minor, and you also think an injury is usually caused by something External and more minor (at least in my mind)...Not usually a body that’s basically almost ripped in half... That was the weird thing about - he basically did it to himself by trying over and over to molt. That’s why it is so bizarre to me. Either way Thank you for your kind words. Thanks to all of you for your kind words.