Lost package what to do?

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That would be a way to make the deal right or just refund the cost of the T when he can afford to,but i do not think there was any malicious intent on Warrens part.Just a mistake in not getting a tracking number,and they can always reach a reasonable agreement if the package does not show up.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feel like such an idiot.

I don't think I'll ever sell/ship again. :(
Everyone makes mistakes.The important part is to correct them,learn from them and make it right.Does not make you a bad person or an idiot,just human.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

I wouldn't take it that far man. I definitely wasn't trying to put you down. I was just suggesting a possible solution. Like the last poster just said everyone makes mistakes just learn from it. I've had a very reputable dealer let a tracking # slip his mind once. Everything worked out o.k. though. I take it your an honest person. You should speak to the OP and work things out. :clap:

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Warren, don't feel like an idiot, and do ship/sell again. You have proof that you shipped the t's, so it's now out of your hands.

I think some people are really taking this in the wrong direction. When someone requests priority shipping, they aren't necessarily paying for delivery confirmation. However, delivery confirmation is a good decision on the shippers part. They also give up their right to live arrival guarantee, which frees the seller/trader of any mistakes they might make. In this case, it's not the shippers responsibility to replace the t that the post office lost or possibly delivered to the wrong address.

Just my unbiased 2 cents. :)

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I really dont think that you did anything wrong Warren. It really isnt your fault that the USPS lost the package. I mean a tracking number would help, but still.

Last edited:

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dang Nerri!

A whole month! And they made it too, wow. Thats cool.

Hopefully the outcome is the same for Warrens package.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dang... I didn't expect it to turn into this. I just felt that I need to vent my frustration, and I intentionally left Warren out. I am well aware that Warren didn't have any bad intention, just bad luck. And I wish that he would have wait a little longer to admit that it was him (and it was admirable of him to do so).

I was hoping to get input from other members of what the general understanding of the trading etiquette for something like this without having someone to peg it on.

I understand that by using priority shipping each party waive the LAG. It was the risk that both of us agree to take. As it is at this point probably what I will get (DOA), should the package ever make it to me.

Like I said, my frustrations started with the part that he forgot to get the delivery confirmation, which could have helped in tracking down the package. In my opinion, tracking number actually is there for the sender protection rather than the reciever. Also when I told him that the package didn't get to me when he got his, he never bothers to follow up to see if the package ever gets to me. And the unnecessary loss of the poor spider.

I suppose I can chalk this up as part of the learning experience for both Warren and I. So don't worry Warren, I'm ok with it now. And you can keep the slings. And don't stop shipping just becasue of this, learn from it, and try to do better next time. We all agree that you didn't mean for this to happen.

+++

Now I have another question. What if someone buys from a seller, and choose to do priority as the way of shipping. Seller ships the box, with tracking number this time. The mail fairies somehow manage to lose it. What is the proper way to deal with this? Does it means that the buyer is SOL without any recourse? Although, I know what most sellers would do.

Thanks all for your input.

ghordy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And the guy who did the trade with me, never really follows up to see if I get the package or not. Since he already got his. I'm shy of giving the guy a negative review. I know it's not his intent to lose the package, but his lack of common sense and reponsiblity bothers me. I won't be doing any trade with this guy again.
And you shouldn't trade with him again. His indifference to your problem is the problem. Has he contacted you and tried to make amends other than promising if he ever runs across that species again he'll send it to you free or in the future he'll make sure to always get a tracking number? That doesn't help your problem. You're out a spider.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Dang Nerri!

A whole month! And they made it too, wow. Thats cool.

Hopefully the outcome is the same for Warrens package.
Yes My post was to help Warren feel less badly about all this.

Having a Conscience about it is good :) beating yourself up is not good.

My story is of hurry induced stupidity.

ALSO to reassure that the T's have a GREAT chance of surviving all this :)

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Still hoping that this ends up with a happy ending but it does sound like it's a chance for a good lesson learned.

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've posted pro priority-shipping stuff in the past. I still think it's a fine shipping method.

That said, if I sent someone money and the package never came and they also didn't have a tracking (delivery confirmation) number I would have reason to be skeptical. I have no way to verify they even sent anything. While I am willing to take the risk that the animal will die in the post (but if it comes terribly packed I'll post a negative review) I don't want to take the risk that nothing is ever shipped.

The best way to avoid that is to always, always purchase delivery confirmation. If you pay for shipping online delivery confirmation is free. If you pay in person, they charge something like $0.55 for it. If nothing else, it establishes that a package was in fact shipped.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Perfectly 'normal' situation... Considering taking the risk of shipping priority I mean...
It happened to me and Anastasia a while back, paxkage went missing like 2 weeks, and there WAS a tracking number, just didn't have a status msg on the website... Turns out priority is not a guaranteed service and there's nothing you can say or claim/do...
My guys made it and I'm glad these did also...
When they're well bunkered it's a plus, for these chances we take sometimes using priority...
I'm not against priority at all, but it does involve some risk.. Sometimes you don't want to take that chance though, of something going wrong..
I'm my case Anastasia and I are literally less than an hour or 2's drive away from each other... And look!

Best of luck!

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whenever you ship the Ts, you are taking a chance no matter which method you use.

I ship priority all the time, even to the east coast without any problem. Usually if I ship Monday, the package would be at the destination by Wed. The longest it ever took was 5 days from LA to Chicago, the tracking said it went to VA, then rerouted to IL. At least I knew why it was a few days late.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hopefully your package will arrive and all will be good.Best of luck.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just for the record - neither delivery confirmation nor tracking numbers can keep a package from going lost. Delivery confirmation simply verifies when a package is delivered. If it doesn't get delivered (as in the case of Warren's package), it doesn't get confirmed. Tracking numbers will tell you how far the package got before it was lost, but doesn't guarantee it won't get lost. (Although I suspect that due to the special record keeping there's a better chance that it will stay on track.) To get guaranteed delivery you unfortunately have to pay more. As the original poster indicated, the people involved in this transaction knew they were taking risks, hoped for the best, and didn't win the bet.

We can all offer opinions what they should do to "make it right" - but in truth the deal is between them, not us. If they reach accords on the deal and are both OK with it there's not much for us to say.

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It should be noted that express mail packages can get lost just like priority mail packages. Express mail tends to come with a delivery time commitment or your money back. So you would be able to recover the cost of shipping. Express mail also comes with $100 of insurance, while it costs $2.25 to add $100 of insurance to priority mail. I've never done an insurance claim myself - but I do wonder just how you would fill out an insurance claim claiming a dead tarantula when you're not allowed to ship tarantulas in the first place. If the package was lost and never found, you could lie about the contents. If the package was simply delayed to the point the spiders died, you're probably screwed.

Shipping USPS express is no more a guarantee the package will be delivered than priority is.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
.... but I do wonder just how you would fill out an insurance claim claiming a dead tarantula when you're not allowed to ship tarantulas in the first place.
It's not a dead tarantula - it's a ruined biological specimen. :confused: