Lost my P. irminia sling

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
Got a p. irminia and t. violaceus sling about 10 days ago. The irminia was maybe 1/3”, and incredibly fuzzy, not the usual black with little orange feet you see. Found it in death curl this morning. It seemed off from the start, didn’t eat the entire time I had it. Kept one side of its cup slightly moist and had some little sticks in there if it wanted to web. I just think it was way too small in that vulnerable sling stage, and it sucks because it’s my dream tarantula. I knew these guys were sensitive but it’s really discouraging. Does anyone have any suggestions for irminia, and any tips/tricks for the t. violaceus? It’s eating and pretty active, very fast of course. I don’t wanna lose it, it’s also pretty small, but I’d say about a 1/2” stretched out. I attached videos of both. (Getting a 50 dram in the mail for the violaceus tomorrow, it came in that deli cup)

Attachments

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Man, I'm going to eat the disagree farm for this but, you should be looking up and reading a lot about the care of those species. The only tips and tricks are that you should be reading about any living animal before you are to care for it. Too young and vulnerable is a copout. If it were your dream species you would know every single detail about it. Let alone basic sling care. These are living animals. Not a game. The only game we play is trying our best to give them a good life.

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
Man, I'm going to eat the disagree farm for this but, you should be looking up and reading a lot about the care of those species. The only tips and tricks are that you should be reading about any living animal before you are to care for it. Too young and vulnerable is a copout. If it were your dream species you would know every single detail about it. Let alone basic sling care. These are living animals. Not a game. The only game we play is trying our best to give them a good life.
I did copious amounts of research and really did try my best for this animal. I’m just asking for some answers and guidance.

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
I’ll be the first to admit that when I first started caring for slings, I lost a couple, P. Irminia actually being one of them. It was only because of poor husbandry and looking back I know exactly what I did wrong (not enough ventilation, wrong setup, too humid etc.) I hate myself for it but this hobby is a constant learning curve. Since then, I’ve only lost one to a bad moult as they got stuck. Reading information on a species is one thing - figuring out how to adapt to their needs and fulfil them is another. I’ve vowed that once all my slings reach juvenile stage, I will get these lost species again, and do right by them this time.

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
I’ll be the first to admit that when I first started caring for slings, I lost a couple, P. Irminia actually being one of them. It was only because of poor husbandry and looking back I know exactly what I did wrong (not enough ventilation, wrong setup, too humid etc.) I hate myself for it but this hobby is a constant learning curve. Since then, I’ve only lost one to a bad moult as they got stuck. Reading information on a species is one thing - figuring out how to adapt to their needs and fulfil them is another. I’ve vowed that once all my slings reach juvenile stage, I will get these lost species again, and do right by them this time.
This is my first loss, it sucks. I provided tiny tiny ventilation holes, but others say they shouldn’t have any at all, and shouldn’t be damp but have the substrate only slightly moist. I could kick myself. You’re right, it’s about adapting to them. Thanks for the understanding reply.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Slings look different from adults in many, if not most, species - Psalmopoeus irminia included. The small fuzzy sling won't be black with chevrons until it's a juvenile. Similarly, slings often stick close to the ground and burrow, even if their adult counterpart is arboreal. My irminia burrowed through slinghood, and still makes it's burrow at the toe of the cork bark (bottom of the tank) as a young female.

What were you trying to feed it? How much ventilation was there? What substrate used? Where were the sticks from?

There's too many variables to just scoff it off as a fragile sling. Not saying that to be offensive, but knowing when we screwed up vs when the sling died of natural causes is how we improve.

I'd recommend watching/reading Tom's Big Spiders' guide on sling care. It's available on his blog and in video format on youtube. This is one of few exceptions where youtube is an okay source of information.

We all lose a sling from time to time, especially at the beginning. Learn from it, research even more, and get yourself another irminia.

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
Slings look different from adults in many, if not most, species - Psalmopoeus irminia included. The small fuzzy sling won't be black with chevrons until it's a juvenile. Similarly, slings often stick close to the ground and burrow, even if their adult counterpart is arboreal. My irminia burrowed through slinghood, and still makes it's burrow at the toe of the cork bark (bottom of the tank) as a young female.

What were you trying to feed it? How much ventilation was there? What substrate used? Where were the sticks from?

There's too many variables to just scoff it off as a fragile sling. Not saying that to be offensive, but knowing when we screwed up vs when the sling died of natural causes is how we improve.

I'd recommend watching/reading Tom's Big Spiders' guide on sling care. It's available on his blog and in video format on youtube. This is one of few exceptions where youtube is an okay source of information.
I know that slings look different from adults.
This one was kept in a rather terrestrial setup, the way I bought it, with what looked like vermiculite, but I added some “Lugarti” substrate to allow for better burrowing if it pleased. It had a fake flower petal in there as well. There were some sticks in the substrate so I placed them sticking up from the dirt to add some anchor points for webbing, with a little starter burrow beneath. I tried feeding a single cricket leg at a time, it did not take it at any point. Removed after 24 hours and tried again. I used a pin for a few ventilation holes around the perimeter of the cup and a couple on the lid.
And I did watch Tom Moran’s video and read his husbandry notes on the species, amongst many other sources.

olivianicole

Arachnopeon

We all lose a sling from time to tiespecially at the beginning. Learn from it, research even more, and get yourself another irminia.
You can see here.

Attachments

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
Ventilation, and I moisten the enclosure very slightly maybe once a week if that. I’ve never really had a problem with raising mine. You could of had a sick specimen too?

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
Ventilation, and I moisten the enclosure very slightly maybe once a week if that. I’ve never really had a problem with raising mine. You could of had a sick specimen too?
That’s what I did. Just made sure it didn’t dry out pretty much, but not overdoing it. Literally using drops of water. And that’s what I said in the original post, that I felt it was off from the start- lethargic, not eating, and certainly not a fast, crazy sling like everyone says. That’s a sorry excuse maybe, but the t. violaceus I have is in similar conditions and is eating and active.
(Your balfouri is beautiful btw.)

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I'm guessing it either didn't have enough ventilation, or something was wrong out of your control. Impossible to say which at this point. You might also try live pinhead crickets or something similar sized next time; mine never had issues taking down live prey, even at that size. Easier to monitor feedings that way, if you have access to small enough feeders that is.

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
I'm guessing it either didn't have enough ventilation, or something was wrong out of your control. Impossible to say which at this point. You might also try live pinhead crickets or something similar sized next time; mine never had issues taking down live prey, even at that size. Easier to monitor feedings that way, if you have access to small enough feeders that is.
I looked for pinhead crickets and tiny red runners, but nowhere near me sold either, even at the expos, so that’s why I used cricket legs. Thanks for the help.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The irminia was maybe 1/3”, and incredibly fuzzy, not the usual black with little orange feet you see.
If the sling that was sold to you as an irminia was the one in the first video then that's not an irminia, can't make out anything in the second vid.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If the sling that was sold to you as an irminia was the one in the first video then that's not an irminia, can't make out anything in the second vid.
I agree thhat doesnt look quite like the P. irminia I have when they were young...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A few things- I'm not sure why your T died, not all slings make it, they just don't. I've raised enough to know.

not the usual black with little orange feet you see.
Those are adult colors, not sling colors. I watched your first video because it was the only useful one. That's not irminia. I've raised them.

Adult- female below, males look different

You do the rest.

I knew these guys were sensitive
They aren't as a species. Part of the reason they are so cheap is because they are easy to breed, very popular and key here- EASY TO RAISE.

any tips/tricks for the t. violaceus?
Be more specific! My tip is read MORE than you already have about Ts here at AB. Then come back with specific questions.

not the usual black with little orange feet you see
Not for slings

but others say they shouldn’t have any at all
SHOULDN'T? really, who were the idiots that told you fresh air from a room SHOULD NOT be passing into your Ts container- that's the most stupid thing I've ever heard about Ts, aside from "they have emotions like cats/dogs"

I know that slings look different from adults
Not based on your responses above for irminia. You clearly didn't know that you DID NOT have irminia.

olivianicole

Arachnopeon
A few things- I'm not sure why your T died, not all slings make it, they just don't. I've raised enough to know.

Those are adult colors, not sling colors. I watched your first video because it was the only useful one. That's not irminia. I've raised them.

Adult- female below, males look different

You do the rest.

They aren't as a species. Part of the reason they are so cheap is because they are easy to breed, very popular and key here- EASY TO RAISE.

Be more specific! My tip is read MORE than you already have about Ts here at AB. Then come back with specific questions.

Not for slings

SHOULDN'T? really, who were the idiots that told you fresh air from a room SHOULD NOT be passing into your Ts container- that's the most stupid thing I've ever heard about Ts, aside from "they have emotions like cats/dogs"

Not based on your responses above for irminia. You clearly didn't know that you DID NOT have irminia.
Okay, first of all the one video is t. violaceus, so you may be looking at that. Second, the picture of the irminia sling you linked is what I was talking about when I said “black with little orange (tan you could say) feet.” Am I going crazy here? As slings they are black with tan-tipped feet/knees. Any one that I’ve ever seen has looked like that. And obviously they become more black with a tiger stripe abdomen and orange chevrons as they mature.
The one I had, once again, was very fuzzy as if it was in a very early stage of its life (that’s what I’m thinking), maybe a couple molts away from the colors we are talking about, or that it wasn’t a p. irminia, which now I am a little skeptical.

Here is the video again. Plus, a picture of one that I thought could be the closest thing to what mine looked like.

Okay, first of all the one video is t. violaceus, so you may be looking at that. Second, the picture of the irminia sling you linked is what I was talking about when I said “black with little orange (tan you could say) feet.” Am I going crazy here? As slings they are black with tan-tipped feet/knees. Any one that I’ve ever seen has looked like that. And obviously they become more black with a tiger stripe abdomen and orange chevrons as they mature.
The one I had, once again, was very fuzzy as if it was in a very early stage of its life (that’s what I’m thinking), maybe a couple molts away from the colors we are talking about, or that it wasn’t a p. irminia, which now I am a little skeptical.

Here is the video again. Plus, a picture of one that I thought could be the closest thing to what mine looked like.
Not sure what that was, but definitely not a P Irminia
Yeah, I am definitely not too sure now. Was thinking maybe I just got it before it molted into a more blackish color and lost that hair, but it doesn’t seem right.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Yeah, I am definitely not too sure now. Was thinking maybe I just got it before it molted into a more blackish color and lost that hair, but it doesn’t seem right.
Image not helpful, sure doesn’t seem to be irminia but the image isn’t good at all.

Tan is NOT orange Hahahah