lost and not found

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
we have all had tarantulas teleport during cleaning/feeding. i have had alot more lately then ever befor even when i had many times the amount i do now, usually its an easy catch but i have been in such a rush with the holidays T time has been hard to come by . i currently have around 600 slings juvs and adults. i do about 200 at a time and with 200 assorted size containers on the table when one bolts there is a 50/50 chance when i take my eyes off them to grab a deli to cup them they have vanished its my fault for not taking proper steps while feeding and i am paying for it in the last 3 weeks i have lost 4 that i cannot find it was 5 till about 20 mins ago i found a 2" irminia just chilling in the center of the room stretched out like it owned the place. so my question is whats on your missing list i have

2.5'' p Miranda
1'' Stromatopelma calceatum
1.5'' Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
3/4'' Hapalopus sp.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
I have a B. albo on the loose. I got lazy, it darted and went underneath a heavy tank. By the time I was able to get someone to help me lift the tank...Goodbye albo sling. Learnt my lesson.

If I had those first two on the loose I'd probably just move. Well obviously not but....Have fun with that.

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im not worried about the type thats loose they are in their own room . half the problem is i havent put up shelves yet so i have everything on tables and all my supplies are under the tables so they have many places to hide im more worried about squishing them moving stuff while looking for them i do check my chair befor i sit :p i figure they will turn up either dead and dried up or when they settle in someplace to make a home

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
Not adding to the actual conversation,but mebbe the"spirit"of it,I guess.
Had a rosie sling wander out,my fault,inexperience,unsecure top(long ago). Didn't go far/long.
Was unboxing a 1' P. cambridgei,gone like a rocket,didn't cooperate at all. Fortunately my Son,who had spent the previous 18 years proving his uselesness(lol. Better now,he grew up fast in the real world)happened to see it take off. Lopped off a leg catching it,molted through fine,4+"now,a monster.(The Big Green Monster,actually...).

Reason I thought to interject-I've bragged about"never losing a T",which is essentially true,but the caveat-I CANNOT lose a T. If do,Wife won't let me keep them anymore,lol. Was something I agreed to before I knew it was virtually impossible.
Worst part? It's not that I'm unwilling to lie,I'm just terrible at it. If I did lose one,she'd smell my fear(of her...).

Don't hate on the Wife,tho-been together forever,she's very understanding and was around long before my T obsession. I'm not even sure she'd hold me to it now,just sorta a funny story.

I'm new,not sure if this has been a topic before-good one,I bet you get interesting answers.

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my wife never had a problem with my tarantulas and snakes until she came into the spider room while i was feeding my T blondies at the time i had several huge blondies on a table and they were all eating and i think hew exact words were oh my fu#$%ing god as she backed out the door she has never set foot in the spider room since. she is the first i always inform of a lost T

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Best of luck in finding them safe Jeremy. I have 3 missing, one I think was eaten by a pinhead cricket. Those Ami sp "Panama" slings are so damn tiny it hard as hell to tell pre moult.
The other two I'm sure escaped through enclosure ventilation holes, one three times.
One of my 10 A. diversipes slings (Houdini) got out multiple times and I thought for sure it had bolted during feeding/maintenance which wasn't the case. The third time I made sure it was inside before replacing it on the shelf two days later the container was empty again.
At 1/4 inch the house spiders or desiccation probably got it. I still watch for it to appear the little imp.

cold blood

Staff member
House spiders will take down t's much larger than they are....their webbing gives them distinct advantages.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I've so far only lost four - two Avic slings years ago, one irminia sling, and when packing up to move I lost an Avic juvie. My fault, I forgot to tape the lid and it wandered out during the night. (Me and Avics don't get along). The next homeowners moved in immediately after I left and found it a few days later and put it outside :rage:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Well, then there was Drain Spider, but he was found and returned to an enclosure.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a e pachypus missing for a month or two... Sadly my cat sat in her and when I found her she was flat as a pancake. RIP platty!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
House spiders will take down t's much larger than they are....their webbing gives them distinct advantages.
Not the house spiders i have in my house, those little... their Opisthosoma is so weird we call them "pear spiders". I doubt they could take down my 0.1 Pelinobius muticus :pompous: <--- pompous, lol

Last month i've noticed one of those "pear spiders" wandering on the desk near my Ceratogyrus marshalli enclosure, she (the T) was waiting for food at her burrow entrance; substrate, a water dish, a piece of cork bark only for her: every comfort.

He looked like an hungry man who just losed job & home watching rich folks eating in 5 stars restaurants, poor oh poor "pear spider" :-(

Last edited:

Susanhogarth

Arachnopeon
I've lost two slings to the same stupid mistake: the holes where the handles attach to Kritter Keepers. A C. elegans and a LP.

My near-adult G pulchra escaped and wandered onto the floor next to an armchair where my husband nearly stepped on her. Whoops!

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Ive only had 3 escapes but only one never found.... A sub adult H. vonwirthi escaped as soon as i got it home from the lps and was found a day or two later. An H. vilosella escaped through a tiny vent hole and was found almost a month later. I hope that juvie obt is still alive and waiting to be found....

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well they're not gonna take down adults, duh:shifty:
Seriously, i think those little ones we have here in homes could not even take down a (same size) Pterinochilus murinus sling :cigar:
Would be another different story with Tegenaria domestica and other "bigger" ones of course.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Well, you have to take into consideration true spiders' venom. Its usually more potent than tarantulas, and its effect on humans might be minute, but to a small invert or insect a bite will usually be fatal. The tarantula would probably in turn kill the spider with its huge greatsword fangs.

cold blood

Staff member
Many true spiders using webbing don't bite until the prey is basically immobilized.

The most common spider I usually see in basements is the cellar spider, and for a lanky daddy long legs looking thing, they're quite the little badasses.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Many true spiders using webbing don't bite until the prey is basically immobilized.

The most common spider I usually see in basements is the cellar spider, and for a lanky daddy long legs looking thing, they're quite the little badasses.
Right, got me there... youre so cold man, why?

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
A week after I got my B Smithi sling, 1/3", I was going to feed it, and noticed it gone. Must've crammed thru the tiny vent holes. A week later my daughter is playing on the floor, and she moved something, and I heard, "Daddy, a spider". She was excited, not scared. I look, and amazingly it was the Smithi. It's molted a couple times since and is doing great. So happy. Only one that has escaped.