Lost and Found, my GBB

Rinfish

Arachnopeon
In the midsts of my dogs cancer diagnosis, I failed to notice that the part of my GBB's cage that had screen on it had broken, and a few days later I noticed that he/she had flown the coop. As a 2" Juvenile, I was pretty sure I would never see them again. My apartment is filled with art supplies, books, and numerous nooks and crannies.

I figured i'd give them a week, let them set up shop somewhere and then *maybe* i'd be able to find them, but mostly hoping they'd survive the winter on their own.

Today I had a bit more mental energy and decided to move a few things around. Sure enough, the little bugger had decided to make their new home underneath my side radiator and a storage box, way underneath a table. (forgive the mess, a plant tipped over a few weeks back and i hadn't had a chance to deep clean underneath. I guess this gave me the opportunity! lol).

Lightning fast pain in the ass, but I got them back and now they're safely eating a cricket with a fixed screen. Sigh. I honestly thought I would never see them again.

For those wondering, they climbed off a tall bureau and housed themselves across the room. Not as much wandering as I expected, but am very, very grateful for it.

Attachments

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Glad you found it, but let this be a learning lesson that using screen isn’t always the number one way to go. Sure people use them, but I’d rather be safe and use a solid lid. It’ll put my mind at ease anyways as well. Sorry to hear about dogs diagnosis too.

Rinfish

Arachnopeon
Glad you found it, but let this be a learning lesson that using screen isn’t always the number one way to go. Sure people use them, but I’d rather be safe and use a solid lid. It’ll put my mind at ease anyways as well. Sorry to hear about dogs diagnosis too.
Thankfully the screen is only a very small portion of the cage. The kritter keeper (his official in-between enclosure) used to be for crickets, so there were holes in the plastic lid where you would put cricket tubes. I had to cover the hole up in order to put him in there, but didnt realize the tape holding the screen on had lifted. I am hearing more and more about screens being a bad option though, so im definitely going to avoid them when purchasing his adult enclosure!

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
Pretty cool how they started to set-up, that's a pretty big enclosure you have there ! :D

Rinfish

Arachnopeon
Pretty cool how they started to set-up, that's a pretty big enclosure you have there ! :D
Right?! I was calling it their vacation home hahaha. Unfortunately, we all have to come back home at some point. ;)

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
glad you found your T, it's terrible to lose them as in die, but the anxiety from losing them literally must be crazy, it was funny how it made a nice hut to hide out.

might I ask how the screen broke, I use both holes and screens on different enclosures, I'd like to secure the screens more than they are if I have not considered something.

Rinfish

Arachnopeon
glad you found your T, it's terrible to lose them as in die, but the anxiety from losing them literally must be crazy, it was funny how it made a nice hut to hide out.

might I ask how the screen broke, I use both holes and screens on different enclosures, I'd like to secure the screens more than they are if I have not considered something.
Unfortunately it was my fault; the screen was taped over a hole (the terrarium was originally one of those cricket keepers with holes for tubes on the side). The tape had lifted off for some reason and I didn't notice. If you have a regular screen it should be fine!

Also yeah, I honestly thought I would find them shriveled up in a corner years later, but thankfully not!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
In the midsts of my dogs cancer diagnosis, I failed to notice that the part of my GBB's cage that had screen on it had broken, and a few days later I noticed that he/she had flown the coop. As a 2" Juvenile, I was pretty sure I would never see them again. My apartment is filled with art supplies, books, and numerous nooks and crannies.

I figured i'd give them a week, let them set up shop somewhere and then *maybe* i'd be able to find them, but mostly hoping they'd survive the winter on their own.

Today I had a bit more mental energy and decided to move a few things around. Sure enough, the little bugger had decided to make their new home underneath my side radiator and a storage box, way underneath a table. (forgive the mess, a plant tipped over a few weeks back and i hadn't had a chance to deep clean underneath. I guess this gave me the opportunity! lol).

Lightning fast pain in the ass, but I got them back and now they're safely eating a cricket with a fixed screen. Sigh. I honestly thought I would never see them again.

For those wondering, they climbed off a tall bureau and housed themselves across the room. Not as much wandering as I expected, but am very, very grateful for it.
Exactly why I’m replacing my few screen lids when I can find a job.
Glad you found them!!!!:cat: