Looking to buy my first Avic. Help influence my decision!

Osmo

Arachnosquire
I am fairly confident in my keeper abilities now having 23 T's and 0 deaths. So I am moving towards the arboreal. I am buying a p.metallica and a GBB this week but have made the decision to also buy an Avic. Help me out and make some suggestions on which avic to get :)

Its nice to hear some peoples opinions on why they like one over another.

Feel free to suggest non avic arboreals too. I always have such a hard time making decisions! ;-)

Arienette

Arachnoknight
I am fairly confident in my keeper abilities now having 23 T's and 0 deaths. So I am moving towards the arboreal. I am buying a p.metallica and a GBB this week but have made the decision to also buy an Avic. Help me out and make some suggestions on which avic to get :)

Its nice to hear some peoples opinions on why they like one over another.
Here's my two pennies..
Avic sp peru purple (or urticans to most)
Beautiful spider, amazing colors that are very difficult to capture with a camera and legs that go on forever.

My first tarantula I've ever encountered in the wild was a peru purple in the tambopata national reserve outside of Puerto Maldonado, on Lagos Sandoval. I now have two juvies of my own :)

Here is the wild one and here is mine:

Osmo

Arachnosquire
thanks guys for the ideas. I am looking at the Avicularia purpurea right now. They look very prettyl.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Nice suggestions above ,especially the A,urticans, also A,minatrix is wonderful little thing, brilliant colouration and good temperament, A,avic are also good, I would have any Avic, that said I might buy a few more next week, all in all Avicularia is a brilliant genius not only are the HARDY but have amazing colour forms thorough the species and usually very calm plus cute to boot.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're all great. Do you want something more colorful? If so, I'd lean towards versicolor, diversipes, or purpurea. If you're interested in other arboreal genera I'd also recommend Psalmopoeus.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
If you feel confident you can get tappie, though you'll want to train on avics/psalmos first. any avic is great, really, the most beautiful for me is geroldi, but to each his own :)

Osmo

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the ideas guys. i got a few on my wishlist now for the future. i made my decision though. I am going to be ordering the following T's this weekend! i am SO EXCITED!

Poecilotheria metallica
Avicularia purpurea
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Oh joy, I wish I could just shrink down and live with them. i would ride them and snuggle up in their hides with them.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Brilliant choices post pics when you get a chance.

Last edited:

tyrantuladub

Arachnosquire
If only A. sooretama had made it's way into the hobby... haha

Anyways, those are great choices. Can't wait for pics!