Looking into getting into Ts

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
Hello,
I have had over 3 years working with several hot scorpions which are all agressive and some more pet scorpions such as the Asian Forest which surprisingly is the most aggressive out of a collection of 13 but she is a beaut. I am thinking of getting a tarantula but dont wont your average T and burrowing OW Ts really intreag me. I have been exersising caution for years with adult agressive androctonus sp. etc. so I am cautious and prepared for the speed and agressive of some species. What starter OW ts would you all reccomend, I am more than happy for your "pet hole" Ts.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Scorpion speed and tarantula speed are quite different since the tarantula can climb glass

If you're insistent on old world tarantulas then a P. Murinus, or H. lividum make decent starters, in my experience.

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
Scorpion speed and tarantula speed are quite different since the tarantula can climb glass

If you're insistent on old world tarantulas then a P. Murinus, or H. lividum make decent starters, in my experience.
Ok, thanks ! I just want something that either burrows as for me burrows look amazing or somethign that isn't your standard big black hairy T from the americas. What NW would you recommend that are a little bit different?

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Ok, thanks ! I just want something that either burrows as for me burrows look amazing or somethign that isn't your standard big black hairy T from the americas. What NW would you recommend that are a little bit different?
K. brunnipes
E. murinus
D. diamantinensis
P. cambridgei

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Cyriocosmus elegans!!!!! Small, colorful, big eaters, lots of webbing and burrowing

Theneil

Arachnoprince
There are many, many new worlds which are not just brown. LOL.

While i generally agree that NW species are (usually) more beginner friendly, if you want an old world fossorial, then odds are you will get one anyway. There are many asian fossorials and african species as well. i think most african species often are not as much pet holes as most of the asian ones (of course there are exceptions).

For non brown NW species i sugfest perhaps C. cyaneopubecens

For asian fossorial inlike the look of my H. devamatha (formerly T. psychedelicus)

and for african species, i am anxiously waiting for my P. murinus DCF ‘Zimbabwe’ to grow up.

Honorable mention. I. mira makes a trap door, which is pretty awesome IMO even if it makes it apear you have a jar of dirt without even a burrow. LOL

I don’t have one (yet) but i believe P. muticus is the most burrowy of the burrowers and perhaps even has a cult of followers. @Chris LXXIX can certainly tell you more about the species.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello,
I have had over 3 years working with several hot scorpions which are all agressive and some more pet scorpions such as the Asian Forest which surprisingly is the most aggressive out of a collection of 13 but she is a beaut. I am thinking of getting a tarantula but dont wont your average T and burrowing OW Ts really intreag me. I have been exersising caution for years with adult agressive androctonus sp. etc. so I am cautious and prepared for the speed and agressive of some species. What starter OW ts would you all reccomend, I am more than happy for your "pet hole" Ts.
Scorpions don't move like Ts, your skills w/them help you very little if at all w/Ts.

If you are bent on OWs, best 2 are I. mira, and anything out of Ceratogyrus.

Mira is the only terrestrial trap door T.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree, H. gigas if you insist on old world, Ephebopus otherwise.

gigas:
AB61C368-AB7F-4530-9BD5-32E16C071064.jpeg
A8FFC729-328B-4E36-A5F0-65827F912591.jpeg
0CA23BFA-10BA-4711-AA01-3EEFB12878EB.jpeg

0311usmc

Arachnobaron

Attachments

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I love your H.gigas she is a beaut, cant wait for mine to get as big. I have the same sequence of pictures for my T.stirmi.
Yeah, Hysterocrates have a really nice appearance and a lot of fun to keep. I think they are often overlooked.