Looking for tips on a C. Vittatus bioactive setup?

b133d4u

Arachnopeon
Hello, all! So as the title says, I'm looking to get some new scorps, most likely about 3 or 4 C. Vittatus in a 10 gallon tank, and I was hoping I'd be able to set them up with a nice bioactive enclosure. With their more temperate range, I'm thinking about 3 inches of a peat/sand-based substrate with a nice drainage layer would work nicely, and some woodchips and leaf litter on top. Throw in some springtails and isopods as cleanup crew, and a cork tube as well as some mesquite wood for climbing and hiding. While I was looking around, however, I got the idea to build a nice alcove towards the back corner with wood set up to look like roots, using slate or something to provide an overhang that I would cover with dirt. I think it'd be really cool to see them weaving in between the wooden pillars or hiding behind them during the day. I was thinking of growing some moss on the shelf and the wood, as well, to help make it seem more natural, but that's where I start to second guess myself. I want a short moss that can grab onto the wood nicely, but I don't know enough about moss to really make a call on which species to use. I'm also not sure if I want to go with the Vittatus, but since I'm looking for a more active, non-burrowing scorpion, and on top of them being communal (nice bonus) their range isn't just desert, which I don't want to fill my room with, I feel like they're a good option for a more forest-based terrarium. Suggestions for other species is welcome, though.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think the key is not to have the humidity too high (so moss may be out). They're a pretty adaptable and hardy species though, so you may be able to get it to work as long as there's good ventilation and lots of hiding spots. Perhaps C. gracilis or Tityus stigmurus? Tityus has potent venom though, so that may not be the best option.

If you're wanting something high humidity but are open to something other than scorps, Phrynus marginemaculatus may be a good fit.

b133d4u

Arachnopeon
I think the key is not to have the humidity too high (so moss may be out). They're a pretty adaptable and hardy species though, so you may be able to get it to work as long as there's good ventilation and lots of hiding spots. Perhaps C. gracilis or Tityus stigmurus? Tityus has potent venom though, so that may not be the best option.

If you're wanting something high humidity but are open to something other than scorps, Phrynus marginemaculatus may be a good fit.
I can't seem to find much on C. gracilis, but assuming they're basically more humid-accepting bark scorpions they'd probably be a lot better. I'm planning on having them in a typical 10 gallon tank with a secured mesh lid, so ventilation wouldn't be a problem either way. I've got quite a bit of wood I'm planning to set up in it, and I'm hoping I'll be able to terrascape it to add a lot of verticality and hiding space. Also, about how many could a 10 gallon support? I've heard anywhere from 2-50, but I imagine somewhere around the 15-20 range would be pushing it.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can't seem to find much on C. gracilis, but assuming they're basically more humid-accepting bark scorpions they'd probably be a lot better. I'm planning on having them in a typical 10 gallon tank with a secured mesh lid, so ventilation wouldn't be a problem either way. I've got quite a bit of wood I'm planning to set up in it, and I'm hoping I'll be able to terrascape it to add a lot of verticality and hiding space. Also, about how many could a 10 gallon support? I've heard anywhere from 2-50, but I imagine somewhere around the 15-20 range would be pushing it.
I admit this is without me knowing how the eventual setup would look, but I wouldn't go more than 5-10 to play it safe, keeping in mind that they'll likely reproduce so there'll be more. There is some cannibalism at younger instars in C. gracilis though, so that can help keep the numbers in check. If you're going to have lots of different hiding spots though (which is sounds like you are), you may be able to go 10-15. If you go T. stigmurus I'm not sure how many you'd be able to fit in there, but I guarantee it'll be lots since they get along very well.

b133d4u

Arachnopeon
I admit this is without me knowing how the eventual setup would look, but I wouldn't go more than 5-10 to play it safe, keeping in mind that they'll likely reproduce so there'll be more. There is some cannibalism at younger instars in C. gracilis though, so that can help keep the numbers in check. If you're going to have lots of different hiding spots though (which is sounds like you are), you may be able to go 10-15. If you go T. stigmurus I'm not sure how many you'd be able to fit in there, but I guarantee it'll be lots since they get along very well.
That's about what I figured I'd try and stick with; probably won't go for more than 7 or 8 unless they seem to be doing really well, and even then I'd just leave the reproduction to fill up any more. I was also curious about just how I would feed them, since I've never done communal setups before. Would I just dump in a dozen crickets every week and let them sort the rest out themselves, or would there be some sort of tong-feeding involved to ensure all of them get to eat? I'm planning on having isopods, as well, if that's important to consider. I know frog setups can use them as a feeding buffer, but I'm not sure about scorpions.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's about what I figured I'd try and stick with; probably won't go for more than 7 or 8 unless they seem to be doing really well, and even then I'd just leave the reproduction to fill up any more. I was also curious about just how I would feed them, since I've never done communal setups before. Would I just dump in a dozen crickets every week and let them sort the rest out themselves, or would there be some sort of tong-feeding involved to ensure all of them get to eat? I'm planning on having isopods, as well, if that's important to consider. I know frog setups can use them as a feeding buffer, but I'm not sure about scorpions.
Yeah just dump some in and it'll take care of itself. Having the isopods is good too, they should snack on those in between feedings if they get hungry.

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
Babycurus Jacksoni is a scorp that does well it's high humidity and communal set ups, as adults that is. Everything else has been said, but if you're looking for communal forrest scorpions, jacksoni are a good choice in my opinion. And in a cork and wood enclosure with leafs and bark scattered they can be fun trying to spot. Especially when you realise they're in plain view just extremely well camouflaged. :) there is a video on youtube of a guy with 30 jacksoni in a 35 gallon tank. I have 5 in a 10 gallon myself. A fun scorpions and the rusty red color with the orange tinge is a cool color. Love them!

b133d4u

Arachnopeon
Babycurus Jacksoni is a scorp that does well it's high humidity and communal set ups, as adults that is. Everything else has been said, but if you're looking for communal forrest scorpions, jacksoni are a good choice in my opinion. And in a cork and wood enclosure with leafs and bark scattered they can be fun trying to spot. Especially when you realise they're in plain view just extremely well camouflaged. :) there is a video on youtube of a guy with 30 jacksoni in a 35 gallon tank. I have 5 in a 10 gallon myself. A fun scorpions and the rusty red color with the orange tinge is a cool color. Love them!
Oh, wow, they are gorgeous! It's a shame how expensive they are, though; from what I can find, getting a group of 5 would run me 3 or 4 times the price it would to get twice as many vittatus or gracilis. Might be something to consider in the future, or if I can find some cheap!

Last edited: