Looking for opinons and suggestions on this Juvenile M. balfouri setup

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Hi everyone,

I bought my first M balfouri awhile ago and it's finally outgrown the vial.
In the vial there wasn't much room for anything - I just put a single fake leaf in and he made his little groundhog holes around it.

This is the first time I'm setting up a larger enclosure for a balfouri and I wanted to know the best way to provide it a comfortable home and a good base for its crazy webbing.

I initially set it up like I would a regular fossorial enclosure and just added a bunch of anchor points for webbing, but in searching for other people's enclosures I noticed a running theme of a central cork bark anchor point for webbing. (a lot of these were communal setups though, not sure if the needs for a single specimen should be different.)

I did purposely leave a little more room that I normally would between the lid and substrate line to allow for webbing and hopefully reduce the chance of ripping the webbing up and stressing it out during feedings and maintence. The vial it is currently in is pretty tall and while it doesn't show interest in climbing up, it does anchor its webs higher than the leaf I put in there.

I provided 4 potential hides - an arch between some cork bark pieces, under some large fake leaves, and 2 small starter burrows along the back walls.

I do not know how big he is exactly maybe a little over an inch - He's often hiding. But I do believe the floor space is good for his size.

Please weigh in and let me know what you think.

I haven't moved him yet, so there is time to make changes if needed.

20201218_153845.jpg 20201218_153728.jpg 20201218_153858.jpg 20201218_153713.jpg

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It looks good to me, but I would move the cork piece due to the amount of space it's taking up. I would worry less about the cork hide as M. balfouri will create web tunnels/hide using the other anchor points provided. Which I believe the plants are more than plenty for anchor points.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It looks good to me, but I would move the cork piece due to the amount of space it's taking up. I would worry less about the cork hide as M. balfouri will create web tunnels/hide using the other anchor points provided. Which I believe the plants are more than plenty for anchor points.
I also agree with this the cork bark and that big leaf plant take up a lot of room together, and woudl remove the cork and or the big leaf plant so that there is at least some floor space.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Thanks guys!

I'll move that cork out. I think I will drop his small fake leaf from the vial in its place. Gives him some webbing in there to start and he can still hide under it without much floor space being taken up.