Looking for help in finding cellar spiders

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I am having the hardest time finding cellar spiders anywhere around me. I've found abandoned cobwebs in houses and buildings, but no spiders. There aren't any basements or cellars in my area, but I used to see them all over.

Does anyone have any tips in searching for these elusive little guys?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I am having the hardest time finding cellar spiders anywhere around me. I've found abandoned cobwebs in houses and buildings, but no spiders. There aren't any basements or cellars in my area, but I used to see them all over.

Does anyone have any tips in searching for these elusive little guys?
Check cupboards that aren't often used. They seem to love them.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Garage corners seem like a solid place to find them. They seem to do best in areas with some human disturbance, but not too much. I don't usually find them in outbuildings that have been abandoned for years, but a shed that gets cleaned once a year seems like the perfect spot for them.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm noticing a lot less of them around the house now the cooler weather is setting in. So maybe seasonal?

The Seraph

Arachnolord
When summer comes around, set out a pot of water in an unused corner of a house open to air. The mosquitoes will be attracted to it and I assume the cellar spiders will be attracted to the mosquitoes.

Scorpling03

Arachnopeon
It's probably to cold now, but check under balconies because I've seen hundreds this year :)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Or just come to our house around May - June. Before I get fed up and go berserk with the vacuum.

Villagecreep

Arachnosquire
If you can, check high schools; I've caught all of mine at school just look in corners, both near to the ceiling and ear the round. also have something like a phone for light. They can be hard to see and real fast when they want to be.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
If you can, check high schools; I've caught all of mine at school just look in corners, both near to the ceiling and ear the round. also have something like a phone for light. They can be hard to see and real fast when they want to be.
I’ve been checking around my Univ, but they might be staying away due to pesticides. I’ve found a handful of dying recluses, but nothing else.

Villagecreep

Arachnosquire
I just know that I have never found one outdoors, i'm pretty sure this species has adapted to living exclusively indoors.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Toilet and shower blocks are popular places in communal environments. Probably because people don't bother to vacuum those very often. But if pesticides are an issue, check near food areas, as they're less likely to have been sprayed.

The whole cellar thing is misdirection, as they tend to be there simply because people don't clean cellars as often. They're happy to live in any room of the house if people let them. We have no basement, but have those spiders everywhere after my "leave them alone, they eat the big clompy spiders" campaign. I've always called them ceiling spiders as that's usually where they'll be at home.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
there are several native and introduced species that actually prefer being outdoors.

crossopriza, holocnemis, psilochorus, artema, physocyclus are examples, with holocnemis being diurnal

Pholcus was originally restricted to caves and animal burrows in the mediterranean, focus on bathrooms, places that stay dark for long periods of time.