Looking for advice on my bold jumping spider

SongbirdAndDude

Arachnopeon
It is actually my husband's pet but I'm helping out. So pardon me if I don't use all the correct terms. This is a baby bold jumping spider and we think he has plenty of water and such.He currently has 3 webs. Two in the top corners and one behind the leaf. Is there anything we should be concerned about or are we worrying for nothing. We received him Saturday and he had eaten part of the crickets at the expo and Monday we attempted to feed him fruit flies but don't think he ate any (although one dissappeared and we don't know if it was lost in transfer or he ate it). We've given him fruit flies and he seems generally uninterested. But to me he doesn't look full. We attempted to give him a new cricket but he attacked it once then backed away. The cricket died in the process of us trying to feed him. So my question is does he look well fed to you? I appreciate any other info too. Like how to feed him fruit flies or things bigger then him, signs to look out for of him being in distress, signs of molting, cautions, how old he looks, etc. What other info can you jumping spider veterans tell me? My husband is more attached to him then he let's on and I want to do my best to help Raf-Wrath, as we call him, live his whole life even though I'm a slight arachnophobe (Don't worry, my husband will do the handling). Thank you

Attachments

bayleaf

Arachnopeon
he could probably eat but if its confirmed a male they tend to have skinnier abdomens. mine always looks kind of skinny compared to my female no matter how often i feed. ill link a chart down below.

he could probably take down a house fly, jumpers tend to lose all interest in prey that is too small imo. mine loved house flies until they graduated to blue bottle flies. mine like flying prey far more than worms or crawling prey. the benefit of flies is they cannot bite the spider, so they are safe to drop in the enclosure and leave him to it.

as you said, he could also be in premolt. signs: no interest in eating OR sudden voracious appetite. not moving from his nest (they tend to be very active so sudden inactivity is a good sign of premolt). developing his nest more (like making it much thicker). if you suspect premolt its better to not handle at all and leave him alone. also bump the humidity up to aid the molt.

also, if he is dehydrated he might not want to eat. mist the enclosure once or twice a day, no water bowls! jumpers can easily drown. when you mist, avoid leaving full drops of water- only a fine mist, and dont spray him directly. they are very delicate.

Attachments