looking for a small species of scorpion

alex21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hello,

i am looking for a small species of scorpion... does anybody know any types of scorpions that don't grow very big? i would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well there are many many many that fits that description. Perhaps C vittatus?

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alex-

Many scorpions fall into the "small" category. You'll need to narrow your search a bit and decide on if you want a xeric or mesic species, medically significant species or not, etc.
The best small species in my opinion is Centruroides vittatus. Inexpensive, commonly available, easy to care for, no special requirements, fast rate of growth, adult size generally limited to under 3" (7.5 cm) and they're very hardy. Good luck!

Luc

webracer17g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
but will i be able to find them.order them in lower michigan. thats my only thing...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Check out some of the US dealers. They can ship nationwide

MattM

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Iomachus politus

Small, non-agressive, (almost) non-venomous, very very funny :D

..........but.... small = about 1.5 cm for adult hehe.

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jones's Burrowing Scorpion - Cheloctonus jonesii, quite small and aggressive! Google um!

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cheloctonus jonesii - aggressive? I have 4 groups of this great but greatly overlooked species and i've yet to even see a single specimen assume the stereotypical defense posture. Sub-adult males can be a bit "testy" at times but i've never experienced an aggressive specimen yet.
I also use Chelo's (as well as I. politus and O. asper) when I give arachnid presentations at schools, clubs, etc. and they've been held by dozens of school kids from ages 9-15, without a single incident.
And, I personally believe that this species along with its cousin O. asper and I. politus are better beginner-level scorps than P. imperator.

Luc

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are well quite got one for my girlfriend she loves him! He does go into defence mode, and takes down big crix!

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well how about devil scorpions (V.Spinnigeris) they are communal, not real aggressive, yet very neat scorpions and they make neat little mounds and breed like rabbits :p. I had some C. Vittatus also and would have to say they are some of my favorites, really really neat scorpions indeed! But if i rememeber right the vaejovis sp. dont get as big. Anyways, whatever you decide, good luck :)
Sincerely
Nate