looking for a new breed

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My GBB is the only sling I have that has'nt burrowed. Its a webber(webs its whole container), which I wasn'nt crazy about but just to watch it eat is something else. She's only about 3/4 - 1" long but Ill crush the head of a 1 inch cricket, drop it in there, and by the next day the cricket is completely gone and she has the J-LO butt thing happening. If you like color in your T's then GBB's(Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens) the way to go. Check out the caresheets on the aracnopets tab, they are awesome!
I also have two G Aureostriata's (Chaco Golden Knee's). An exellent choice. Big time eaters. They like to burrow, but are not shy about coming to the top for they're food.
The only reason I did'nt buy an A. genic is that I heard they are pretty defensive. Im new to this hobby as well so Im gonna stick to the elementary T's. BUT- -different strokes for different folks,more power to ya.
As for the " tanks", sorry for my slang. They are just 2.5 gal fish aquariums from Petsmart and Walmart. I have a sheet of scrap plexi-glass (1/4") that I cut for the lid and drill holes in.
And those black T's you have running around outside your house are the very same ones that got me hooked. Caught one myself a couple months ago. It died shortly after. Could'nt figure out what I did wrong. So I jumped on the Internet found all these sites did a LOT of research and here I am. It turned out to be a mature male. (his days were numbered). Hey I gotta go to work, Ill talk to you later..

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Chris, I don't think Geniculatas are that defensive. I have a
juvenile that I can reach right in his/her tank and pick it up or just get it to crawl out onto my hand. It will walk on my hand a little and then just sit there. It eats like crazy and just seems really sweet at least for now. Its maybe 3 or 4 inches in size and fat.
Sorry I can't post pictures yet or I would. My GBB sling molted and is about 3/4 " too and real fun to watch. Eats small and med. crickets and I just drop them in. None of my slings are interested in meal worms though. I think a GBB is a real good choise.

Sharon

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
MrEd does that place ship by any chance? i wanna place an order on some things and the guy wont get back in touch with me.

josh

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Sharon, I had'nt really talked to anyone who had owned one, just read the caresheets. Im really interested in them on account of their size and appetite. Maybe my next aquisition. I want a large female though, like I said before, I have 9 slings and only 3 adult/subadult females. Hell, whats one more right?

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
Hey Josh (Jguy001) I emailed that place on like the 10th and received a response back on the 12th. The guys' name is Ryan Blakley his email is ryno@waltersworld.net. You might shoot him a line orI can either way and find out about shipping. I emailed him about a few things and he said he updated his list, sounded like some good deals:Ryan Blakley
Walter's World of Pets/ Wild Ryno Inc.
2103 50th St. Lubbock, TX 79412
806-741-0123
ARACHNIDS
0.0.2 Giant whiteknee Acanthoscurria geniculata CB 1.5in $35.00
0.0.1 Zebra Knee Aphonopelma seemani WC AD $20.00
* Pink Toe Avicularia avicularia WC AD $17.00
0.0.1 Brazilian Blue Pinktoe Avicularia geroldi CB 1.25in $50.00
0.0.1 Mexican Flame Knee Brachypelma auratum CB 2.25in $100.00
0.0.1 Mexican Redknee Brachypelma smithi CB 2in $50.00
0.0.1 King Baboon Citharischius crawshayi CB 1.5in $60.00
* Black Baboon Citharischius sp CB .25in $3.00
0.0.6 Black Baboon Citharischius sp WC AD $15.00
0.0.1 Green Bottle Blue C. cyanopuebescens CB .25in $40.00
1.0.0 Smokey Gray Grammostola alticeps WC AD $30.00
* Rosehair Grammostola gala WC AD $15.00
0.0.2 Cobalt Blue Haplopelma lividum CB 1in $35.00
0.0.1 Fringed Ornamental Poecilotheria ornata CB 1.5in $40.00
0.0.2 Indian Ornamental Poecilotheria regalis CB 3in $35.00
0.0.1 Slatered Ornamental Poecilotheria rufilata CB 2in $40.00
0.0.1 Venezuelan suntiger Psalmopoeus irminia CB 3.5in $35.00
0.0.1 Goliath Birdeater T. blondi WC AD $90.00
* Emperor Scorpion Pandinus imperator WC AD $13.00
0.0.1 Southwest Tiger Centipede Scolopendra viridis WC AD $10.00
* Texas Desert millipede Orthoporus ornatus WC AD $6.00
0.0.2 African Giant millipede Archispirostreptus gigas WC AD $15.00
* Madagascar Hissing Roach Gromphadorhina portentosa CB AD $3.00
0.0.1 Green African Praying Mantids Sphodromantis lineola WC AD $20.00

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
Thanks Chris for the info. I'll be hitting up Walmart for some small tanks. I'm gonna make a road trip to Lubbock and get a few of the T's at that pet store up there. One question on your Chaco's. Do they stay burrowed up most of the time except at feeding time or do they prowl a bit? I'm wanting something I can actually see from time to time. My G. Rosea has recently become a recluse and doesn't come out of the burrow I made (a styrofoam cup buried). A few days ago, it was webbing up the front of the cup, first time I'd seen that. Who know's maybe I have a T with paranoid schizophrenia (guess I'll be giving it some thorazine).
I'm still kinda waiting for our local T's to come out, shouldn't be too much longer. Those were really simple and easy.

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah that sounds like my B. Albopilosum, always at the bottom. My G. Rosea , on the otherhand, is actually quite comfy in her 2.5 tank. She sits on TOP of her hide(small flower pot half buried)all sprawled out waiting for her next meal. As for my Chaco's, they're both still slings but I inderstand they out grow the burrowing and will adapt to a retreat. They both have such different personalitys its hard to believe they're the same species. One comes right out of its burrow when I open the lid as if it knows its feeding time. The other's a bit shy, and it takes some coaxing (one or two crix) before it comes around.
Man I just love this hobby. I guess you could say its my relief or how I get away from the stress of work and everyday life.
I also need to thank Sharon again, Im gonna try my hand at an A Genic. Been reading up on them for the past week and I have this yearnin for a new order. Scott Bemis is going to hook me up with my first Old World "T". Havent decided exactly on EVERYTHING but so far Im thinking - L. Parahybana, A. genic, N. Coloratovillosus, and C. Crawshayi. (all big time eaters)
Ill talk to you later, have fun on your trip.