Long drive for a T. Was it worth it YOU tell me!!!

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very pretty spider, I am certain you will be happy with her.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It was definitely worth it...we've recently been blessed with a supplier (Mina & Matthias) who were willing to drive a 6 hour round trip (car) in a blizzard to deliver a versi to us...and another (train) trip to deliver 3 x P.rufilata and 3 x GBB's; and pick up a Psuedhapalopus sp. blue, L.murphyorum, P.cambridgei and B.smithi.
The camaraderie and the safety of the T's themselves made the trip worth every expense and trouble. :)
9 with the blizzard (you forgot the time change) But it was worth it.

OP: you got a beautiful T at a reasonable price (for a mature female). I think that is always worth it.
Congrats!

0823angeles

Arachnopeon
Worth every penny!!!

Before I even posted this I Already knew it was worth it because I wouldn't have gotten it. I wanted to see the members who are commited to these creatures. With a couple of members saying that they would rather pay shipping that's ok but I figured that the T would be better off, reason being are:
1. You can actually see the specimen before making that final decision.
(Just to see if it is healthy)
2. See if you want anything else in the store (I also picked up a redeyefrog)
3. I didn't want to WAIT!!!
4. Less Shock and hastle for the T.
5. Lastly if I did decide not to get the T go venture around the City...

Here's some pics of the a versi Sling. Yes 4 appendages missing and I still bought it oh I also picked it up at L.A.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your not alone. I always drive 1 1/2 hours each way when I buy new spiders. It's a preferential way to shop for me, and I like to drive.

I consider it a "roadtrip", and usually make a day out of it.

Nice find BTW,

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I could easily drive around for about 3 hours when I'm bored. If it's for a good deal on a T, even better. If I were in that situation, I'd say it was worth it. Beautiful T!!!

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just drove six hours for 3 T.s..and an eggsack from AbraxasComplex ...Seemed worth it for me...I guess it matters what you concider worth it?How bad you want it?
I think it's just a matter of choice. Priorities also, here's peace of mind with a face-to-face pick up has pros & cons, and there's just forking over $25 and sit and wait for a delivery does also.... I say shipping a T involves more risk, but again, it's just a matter of choice.. I personally would'a driven the 2 hrs each way... I don't know about more than 4 hrs total though... that's beastin'... LOL

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Before I even posted this I Already knew it was worth it because I wouldn't have gotten it. I wanted to see the members who are commited to these creatures. With a couple of members saying that they would rather pay shipping that's ok but I figured that the T would be better off, reason being are:
1. You can actually see the specimen before making that final decision.
(Just to see if it is healthy)
2. See if you want anything else in the store (I also picked up a redeyefrog)
3. I didn't want to WAIT!!!
4. Less Shock and hastle for the T.
5. Lastly if I did decide not to get the T go venture around the City...

Here's some pics of the a versi Sling. Yes 4 appendages missing and I still bought it oh I also picked it up at L.A.
poor little guy... I'm sure you'll nurse him back to health in no time though... and hey- great find with that Versi female!!

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ditto.

--the nature boy
I'm with him. Aint no T worth driving all day to get, just as much as i aint payin over $60-$75, for no T. Just aint doin it. I got 11 so far, and havent paid over $20 for any of them. I dont care what they are.

0823angeles

Arachnopeon
long drive

I'm with him. Aint no T worth driving all day to get, just as much as i aint payin over $60-$75, for no T. Just aint doin it. I got 11 so far, and havent paid over $20 for any of them. I dont care what they are.
You actually pay for what you get you can get a $20 T because it's a sling or as common as a black widow. Nevertheless you have to still shop for good prices. I think most if not all people would pay $17 dollars for a sling rather than $23. That's a good saving where as I bought a $85 T with no tax instead of it being $200 give or take. Get my drift.... I was the same way though I didn't want to spend more than $60 but when you see a good deal and you have the funds you wouldn't go for it. By the way I'm Selling a PS3 for a $110 anyone interested.....:liar:

Last edited:

Arachtis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would gladly drive 2 hours away to get a T I really wanted.

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have done the drive. In fact judging that your in San Diego (I was stationed there for 10 years), I would be willing to bet that you didn't make it to L.A. in 2 hours, but rather Long Beach to see Paul Becker at Pet Center USA. I used to make that drive from San Diego on a regular basis. Especially if you were smart and took the scenic and fun Hwy 1. Let me know if my wild guess is even close to correct?

sinflspeed

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think it matters what others think your new addition is worth it or not. You made the decision to get it so weight the drive time, fuel cost, and price paid is just a detail in the joy you get out of watching your T eat, molt, and web up it new enclosure. You pay whatever you think and enjoy it, it's yours.

Personally I have done worse and I am sure we are all guilty of splurging for a much wanted addition.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
*(unless you were blasting Brittany Spears all the way home)
:( That's the only way I could make it.:( jk lol. I think I would take that drive just to look at a nice selection of ts (biggest collections I see around here consist of a rosea and seemani). I would definitely do it to purchase a pet.

Hell no!!, No T is worth driving 4+hrs. period even if its free !!. You also have to add gas money, and your time spent driving.
I would have just paid $25 to shipped it overnight you get it next day before noon.
The only way Ill drive 4 hrs is for vacation.:D
You wouldn't drive 4 hours for a free MF P. metallica? Are you high? :D {D :D Your time must be extremely valuable!

0823angeles

Arachnopeon
Half right or half wrong...

Smitty78 i actually got my first versicolor from paul becker, the one that is missing 4 limbs but that didn't stop me from picking up the T. Actually I got this female versicolor by calling all of the pet stores that were listed online in socal and not one had a sling not one but, I called exotic fish and reptiles and the owner said he had a female and was 4inches long. He was only asking $105 but I asked if I could pay cash $85 and he said come on over and pick her up. So next day I did just that....:razz: Almost smitty78 but your good on my who I bought my first ones from....:clap:

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where I live out here in the great northwest if I venture into town the trip is not less than three hours round trip so just anothe hour for a T that I want and I'll be taking him home ya of course I would do it

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You wouldn't drive 4 hours for a free MF P. metallica? Are you high? :D {D :D Your time must be extremely valuable!
and no I wont. Like I said 4 hours drive is only for vacation drive. I guess Im too lazy to do anything on my days off.:D

0823angeles

Arachnopeon
What!!

DEFINITION!!!!!!

tarantulAHOLIC:
one who exhibits an obsessive need for or interest in (something specified)
Tarantulas!!!!!!

Looked it up in dictionary.com

You should change your name.:D
Not even for a P. metallica. That's like saying an alcoholic wouldn't go to Las Vegas for free beer at the strip..... Which I'm sure they do playing penny slots.:razz: