loam soil

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
That's an interesting idea. I dont see why it wouldn't work. "Loam" can mean a few similar things, so I'd suggest the kind with a minimum of organic soil matter if the species needs moisture to avoid mold and bacteria. If you're housing a dry species any loam should be good. Let us know how it works out.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Can someone explain how to tell the extent soil is "loamy?" As far as I know, loam is soil that has the consistency of wet clay where it is squishy when squeezed, but I'm not sure if that is what everyone else is thinking.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Can someone explain how to tell the extent soil is "loamy?" As far as I know, loam is soil that has the consistency of wet clay where it is squishy when squeezed, but I'm not sure if that is what everyone else is thinking.
It should only be about 20% clay so if you picked up a handful from a bag of topsoil it should roll into a ball fairly easily and then crumble apart when further messed with.

panggoy espino

Arachnopeon
That's an interesting idea. I dont see why it wouldn't work. "Loam" can mean a few similar things, so I'd suggest the kind with a minimum of organic soil matter if the species needs moisture to avoid mold and bacteria. If you're housing a dry species any loam should be good. Let us know how it works out.
yeah it works and the tarantulas are fine thabk you.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Loam is 40% sand, 40% silt and 20% clay. Liam is great for retaining nutrients and water.