Lmao!

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Headed to the Sporting goods store Now....

{D That made me laugh - Thanx! {D

- Jason "The next Tarantula Ping-Pong trainer"

P.S. I hear the other valid points in this thread.......I am of the "Opinion", that this is Not, going to greatly or un-necassarilly "Stress" a tarantula out.....Especially a female who just had sack taken......
.........Has anyone considered the "feelings" of a tarantula in depth.......I would appreciate some "Interaction" from my Environment, if I sat in a cage for years!

Last edited:

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree. Same goes for food in their enclosures hopping around, or even isopods. I don't see much harm in the ping pong ball being there. The tarantula is encountering something new and then interacting with it, and then exploring the thing. The ball is more an object of curiosity than anything. If you find a random object in your home, is your first instinct going to be threat or fear? No. Not if the item isn't giving you any reason to fear it or feel stress.
I don't think spiders have curiosity. If I found a random object in my house that magically appeared, I'd freak out!!!!:)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Has anyone considered the "feelings" of a tarantula in depth.......I would appreciate some "Interaction" from my Environment, if I sat in a cage for years!
Obviously, you have not.

How can you possibly have any idea what a tarantula is thinking? If you had the brain of a tarantula, I doubt you'd 'appreciate' anything.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually X......

I have spent my share of time in "Cages"........The "Old" L.A. County was one of them............
.....I Don't pretend to completely "understand" the Way a T thinks.....But, I will give them some credit, for being intelligent, and capable of problem-solving.......

......I can't say the same for All humans.......But thanx for sharing thoughts on my thoughts ;)

- Jason

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have spent my share of time in "Cages"........The "Old" L.A. County was one of them............
.....I Don't pretend to completely "understand" the Way a T thinks.....But, I will give them some credit, for being intelligent, and capable of problem-solving.......

......I can't say the same for All humans.......But thanx for sharing thoughs on my thoughts ;)

- Jason
Then you give them too much credit...

I'm also not sure how jail time equates to being a spider in a tank, but ok. :rolleyes:

violentblossom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That said, your example is not valid.
I think that it is. There's no reason to be rude, just because I have different thoughts on this than you do. Further more, neither of our "points" can be proven, so trying to discount mine is totally pointless imo.

We'll agree to disagree. ;)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It is pretty obvious to me the tarantula looks like is mistaken the balls for their own egg sacks. Do they do that with the water dish,the crickets or the forniture? No.
That said, your example is not valid.

Ahem... yes they do.

I know myself and atleast one other member, have Ts that carry around their water dish.

A lot of Ts will move hides, dirt, fake plants, etc.

Anything in their enclosure, becomes an object that they can rearrange to their liking.

Are you saying that in the wild, random objects would never be encountered by the Ts? That in the wild, they sit in ONE spot and nothing ever changes.. not the plants, not the terrain, not the animals/objects around them?

Sometimes, "stress" is a good thing...

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Ahem... yes they do.

I know myself and atleast one other member, have Ts that carry around their water dish.

A lot of Ts will move hides, dirt, fake plants, etc.

Anything in their enclosure, becomes an object that they can rearrange to their liking.

Are you saying that in the wild, random objects would never be encountered by the Ts? That in the wild, they sit in ONE spot and nothing ever changes.. not the plants, not the terrain, not the animals/objects around them?
Sometimes, "stress" is a good thing...

Geez guys...
Sometimes I wonder if you guys are serious, when I read this type of comments. :rolleyes:

Have you ever seen a tarantula rolling and guarding like if it were an egg sack, a bunch of pet moss or a whater dish the way this T does with that ball????
Cos in my 14 years of keeping T's I have never ever.
One thing could be re arranging forniture, or messing around with dirt, or a branch or whatever you name it....And another obviously different is what the T in the video is doing, like she was perfectly mistaking,guarding and rolling that ball like if it were an eggsack.

:confused:

Oh so, because tarantulas walk around their enclosure, is fine then to have them walking in your ands all day, right? Dont they walk? Then?
Or because they flip to molt, then is ok to flip them just for the hell of it.

@Violentblossom

No rudeness was intended,Sorry if you took it that way, neither is intended now, but I think you are missing the point.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fran,
Many of my terrestrials especially Grammostolas or Brachypelmas, those can roll and move their plastic waterdishes for hours, I really dont think tarantula would get stressed by doing so,
More likely with ball that is something new and as new object it get investigated
just my 2 cents

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Couple years ago I had a T Blondi that I really liked to play with, she was real healthy slow and never kicked hairs
the fun game was I had small plastic skeleton parts that I put all over her large tank and go to work, come back
all, and I mean all pieces was collected and deposited in to her waterdish, she never ever missed anything
She sure was fun very entertaining
I had a brainfart and sold her :rolleyes:

JungleCage

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
do we actually know that Ts get stressed when a sac is pulled or do they just get confused?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh so, because tarantulas walk around their enclosure, is fine then to have them walking in your ands all day, right? Dont they walk? Then?
Or because they flip to molt, then is ok to flip them just for the hell of it.

:rolleyes: No, because in the wild they don't encounter PEOPLE. It's one thing for US to actually DO something to the T.. it's another thing to put something into the enclosure and give the T the option of doing something with it :wall:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You guys are treating your tarantulas like you would treat a dog.
Giving them objects to "play".
Fantastic.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You guys are treating your tarantulas like you would treat a dog.
Giving them objects to "play".
Fantastic.
Fran,
All animals do, All in their own way
I really see nothing wrong about it
actually I believe its very therapeutic

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't see the problem here. The tarantulas in this case aren't undergoing whatever hormonal changes they do when they actually produce sacs so I don't think they're experiencing the same stress they might experience when you pull a real sac. As for them rolling it like an eggsac, well, how else would they move it, pick it up and carry it on their shoulders? Put it in their pocket?

I submit that the entertainment value is entirely for the keeper but it is not harmful to the spider either. There is possibly a health benefit to the animal by way of "mental" stimulation and physical activity but that's kind of a long shot for an arachnid.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I dont think so.
One thing is sure, there are no ping pongs around the tarantulas burrows in the wild, There is no encounter whatsoever with such things in their natural surrowingins so heres no reason at all to add one for your amussement,just for that matter it makes sense to me keeping your toys for yourself.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't see the problem here. The tarantulas in this case aren't undergoing whatever hormonal changes they do when they actually produce sacs so I don't think they're experiencing the same stress they might experience when you pull a real sac. As for them rolling it like an eggsac, well, how else would they move it, pick it up and carry it on their shoulders? Put it in their pocket?

I submit that the entertainment value is entirely for the keeper but it is not harmful to the spider either. There is possibly a health benefit to the animal by way of "mental" stimulation and physical activity but that's kind of a long shot for an arachnid.
Agreed. Folks might want to consider the odd and random encounters a T deals with in the wild. For example, a giant centipede. How about being accosted by the snout of a fox, meerkat, mongoose, or any other curious animal? Extreme weather like torrential rain or relentless drought. Dust storms, swaying, shaking trees. Birds, bats, monkeys, and hungry natives, etc.etc.etc....
Point is, while we shouldn't blatantly harass our T's, don't forget, they are tough. They deal with a lot worse in the wild than ping-pong balls or a gentle hand.
Signs of stress should be obvious. If you notice these signs, give the spider a break. Otherwise, I don't see the issue, even if the enjoyment aspect favors the keeper more than the T. In most cases, if the T really cares, you'll probably realize it, even with lackadaisical observation...which I wouldn't recommend!

Funny spider in teh vids. {D

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I dont think so.
One thing is sure, there are no ping pongs around the tarantulas burrows in the wild, There is no encounter whatsoever with such things in their natural surrowingins so heres no reason at all to add one for your amussement,just for that matter it makes sense to me keeping your toys for yourself.
Respectfully, by this logic:
so heres no reason at all to add one for your amussement
you really shouldn't ad the T to a domestic environment at all. I mean, the ping-pong ball is not really where the line of natural or unnatural is drawn, is it? Why do we keep the T in the first place? For personal enjoyment or for the tarantula's benefit? :confused: