little concerned with my H. Maculata.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I haven’t seen mine since the day after I received him! But day by day there is more webbing and the cricket I put in one evening was a bolus next to the water dish the next morning.

I named him “Ghost” for his looks (and because I am I GoT fan) but it turns out to be apropos for another reason! :rofl:

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
H.maculata are indeed ' I hate light - Vampires', but 0.1 are so damn cool to see (when you can) :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Bad pic, that's actually the front of the cage, and not it's burrow.:rofl:

markola727

Arachnopeon
Well i managed too get that SUPER annoying LOUD cricket out of her enclosure this morning. I tried feeding her not long ago and she took a cricket from tongs.:happy:. Raising the humidity must of worked a treat, thank you for the help. :happy:.

You guys are so lucky who have a H mac whats out all the time, Been off work this week so I have been up late every night to try and catch her out but no luck.lol.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well i managed too get that SUPER annoying LOUD cricket out of her enclosure this morning. I tried feeding her not long ago and she took a cricket from tongs.:happy:. Raising the humidity must of worked a treat, thank you for the help. :happy:.

You guys are so lucky who have a H mac whats out all the time, Been off work this week so I have been up late every night to try and catch her out but no luck.lol.
Wait for her to settle. :)

markola727

Arachnopeon
I stayed up last night till 4:30am to catch her out, yes i'm gonna see the little bugger and i did for a few moments.:happy:. When i moved towards the tank quietly with my red torch she slowly moved back again into her usual spot. Was almost like she could see my red torch. I have heard Tarantulas cant see red light.....:meh:.

Last edited:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I stayed up last night till 4:30am to catch her out, yes i'm gonna see the little bugger and i did for a few moments.:happy:. When i moved towards the tank quietly with my red torch she slowly moved back again into her usual spot. Was almost like she could see my red torch. I have heard Tarantulas cant see red light.....:meh:.
Oh wow, that’s dedication! :rofl:

I have never heard what portion of the spectrum T’s are able to perceive but I imagine their limited visual capabilities are focused on detecting changes in light and movement so if the red light was within range at all... Were you using the sort of red light used in a darkroom?

Perhaps more likely is that she felt the vibrations of your movement?

I got to see my Ghost one evening just turning in the light (only place to keep my T’s is in the bedroom right now so I’m afraid they must put up with that for now). Anyway, he was out and just froze in place and I got my ‘Ghost sighting’ as he slowly backed into his tent of webbing and leaves...

markola727

Arachnopeon
Think its a LED red Flashlight. what torches do people recommend for spying on T's lol. I be a pro at this before the year ends :happy:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I tried feeding her not long ago and she took a cricket from tongs

Bad idea with an OW arboreal, and a bad idea in general, as they can break fangs biting tongs. They're predators, let them hunt. If they're not taking food on their own, you either have to let them settle in, or arrange the cage so that they feel more comfortable in it.

Achuma Farmer

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the wonderful world of H mac's. Super reclusive, they are very light sensitive. If you want to catch her out, your best opportunity will be in the middle of the night with a red flashlight.
I've recently found that a constant circadian rhythm helps a lot too. This may be anecdotal, but its easy to try if you're down to experiment a bit. My spiders are in an area with light timers, if the lights aren't on, it's pitch black. Every morning the lights are on at 6am. Every night they are off at 9pm. Between 9pm and 6am I allow no light other than a red flashlight. It's been like this for several months now sort of as an experiment. I don't go in and turn the light on at 9:15p or 10:00p or random times during the night. I don't open the door and allow light to shine in as I am walking in. Total, constant darkness.

Now, if I want to see my H. macs or my P. muts or my P. lugardi (my most reclusive spiders) I can see them any night at 9:30pm like clockwork. I just go to my T area with the red flashlight - they're roaming, digging, drinking, what have you. I was surprised to see especially the fossorials like P. muticus and even I. mira with at least their legs sticking out on a regular basis.

The P. ornata AF allows herself to be seen whenever the planets align though. No change with her.

This is what I have observed as well. Super reclusive, super sensitive to light and vibration. I guess they call them "ghosts" not just for their appearance.

Varla Einin

Arachnopeon
Hi,

It looks like your girl is settling into her new home.

We gave our 3 inch female H. mac a few days to settle in before attempting to feed. She eats a large cricket every 4 days without fail now ^^ I rarely see her during the day but she she is out after 10-11pm and I always catch her while Im getting ready for work in the morning. I like to think she is cheering me on ^^ lol.

We keep a water dish in her enclosure and we give her a light mist everytime we feed her.

Like others mentioned before they are light sensitive and mine doesnt like loud noises. I accidently yelled to my husband 'come look! Malory is out!' And she bloted like a bat outta hell. My bad x.x

I hope yours settles in soon!
How big is your girl?